• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Life is Worthless

Status
Not open for further replies.

linwood

chuck010342 said:
aren't you all going to die anyway? If there is no ressurection then why bother to learn anything? for that matter why have kids? why even get a job or do anything helpful because its all in vain? Think about it if there is no resurection then why bother to exsists. Live Drink and be marry have orgies all the time get drunk for tomorrow we die

Why do so many believers throw this old gem out there?

It shows the person making the statement hasn`t even thought before he spoke.

When I answer this question I never get a reply from the OP.

Why is it that when I say my purpose in life is my family, friends, and society it is somehow less honorable for living for the glory of an invisible sky daddy and the unfounded promise of blissful life everlasting.

I just don`t get it.

I`ve never seen an atheist near death however so I can`t say how one might act..probably scared.
I`ve watched a few people breathe their last or close to it...all Christian.
These people were scared to one extent or another.
Why were they in fear if they believed that promise?
Hell..why don`t they welcome death if it`s heaven afterward?

Thats a decent counter to "The Atheist in a Foxhole" argument, "The Christian on His Deathbed" argument.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you convince yourself that you're living for an invisible sky daddy then you might have a hard time seeing how anyone could live for anything else.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Wouldn't it be more noble to live a good life and do good things because you want to rather than because you're afraid of burning in a lake of lava forever? The backwards leap logic takes there boggles me.

linwood

Sunstone said:
If you convince yourself that you're living for an invisible sky daddy then you might have a hard time seeing how anyone could live for anything else.

Yeah but the thing is it can`t possibly be harder for them to see why I can live for humanity than it is for me to see they live for the sky daddy but I don`t question the worth of their lives.

They do..

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
linwood said:
...but I don`t question the worth of their lives.

They do..
Excellent point, Linwood! I wonder why some believers think that way? Think that atheists don't have a life. It seems to me that it's a very naive --almost childish-- way to think about atheists. Do you think it's an opinion formed in childhood and never questioned? How could an adult otherwise hold such a thoughtless opinion?

I used to be one of those people who thought atheists must not have any meaning in their lives. But I was very curious about atheists...I wanted to find out what they thought, and why, and how they lived their lives in light of these beliefs. I've since found out that happiness and leading a good life are basically irrespective of one's philosophical beleifs. However, I will say that it doesn't do much for our image when we mockingly refer to the deities of others as "the sky daddy" etc.

linwood

Mr_Spinkles said:
I used to be one of those people who thought atheists must not have any meaning in their lives. But I was very curious about atheists...I wanted to find out what they thought, and why, and how they lived their lives in light of these beliefs. I've since found out that happiness and leading a good life are basically irrespective of one's philosophical beleifs.

You`ve obviously given the matter thought but the Op was "Why don`t Christians give it any?

However, I will say that it doesn't do much for our image when we mockingly refer to the deities of others as "the sky daddy" etc.

What?
I can`t mock the sky daddy but he can demean my reasons for living?
Thats too politically correct for me.
Sorry.

Lightkeeper

Many religions believe that the Divine is within us and they bow down to the Divine in all humans. Therefore, a person isn't seen as an atheist, but a person who isn't in touch with the Divine within. Since, the Divine is "within" anyone can lead a happy healthy prosperous life.

standing_on_one_foot

Well, that which is hateful to you and all...can't hurt to be the more mature. Although it is a lot less fun, I will admit :p And I kinda prefer the term "big beard in the sky," myself...

And to be fair, this is one person, not all Christians, mocking your belief, so there's really no call to go mocking all Christians...however, if it's not really for, I dunno, revenge or whatever, I figure a little mockery all around is a good thing :) Gotta keep a sense of humor about yourself.

linwood said:
What?
I can`t mock the sky daddy but he can demean my reasons for living?
Thats too politically correct for me.
Sorry.
Hey, you can do whatever you want, linwood--freedom of speech, all the way. But now you're left with the following situation: he has been disrespectful to your beleifs, and you have been disrespectful to his. So you're either both wrong, or you're both right. ;)

Ceridwen018

I fail to see how a believer can logically consider their life to have worth, and an Atheist's not. I mean, what worth, exactly, does a belief in God give you? It's not eternal life--at the end of the day, even Atheists will get to laugh with the sinners forever. I can see how they could argue that their lives have more purpose, (goal of heaven), and with purpose comes worth I suppose....

Mr. Spinkles is right though, all you Atheist dissidents out there! We're saddled with a bad enough reputation as it is (just take a look at that creationist website!). The worst thing we can do is fit the believer's criteria for us and give them even more reason to not listen to what we have to say. Think of it this way: A respectful Christian who truly tries to consider your viewpoints and debate with you in a manner which promotes learning on both sides is going to leave a fabulous impression on you, even if neither of you sway your views. Plus you guys, it's just good to be nice, you know? We need to be the bigger party and allow their petty remarks to fall by the wayside, not matter how 'politically correct' it might be. At the end of the day, I think that that would tick them off more than any slur you could throw back anyhow.

Think of it this way: A respectful Christian who truly tries to consider your viewpoints and debate with you in a manner which promotes learning on both sides is going to leave a fabulous impression on you, even if neither of you sway your views.
excelent! i like the way you think.

robtex

Veteran Member
Linwood I have played the religious debate game off and on for a while and think I have a theory as to why? I have heard that arguement directed towards athiests too in a paraphrased from and on those occassion learned that:

1) sometimes athiests qouting or paraphashing Nietzsche were connected with nihilists (justly or unjustly) resulting in the worthless athiest arguement

2) many thiests cannot seperate morality from religion (hence the common topic can there be morality without religion), and seeing an amoral life as pointless prompts that response.

3) Many religions suggests that life on earth is some sort of practice run for the afterlife and if one is not prepping for it one is wasting their time on earth

4) Many religoius people assert that if someone believes that life is finite in duration that accrued spritual knowledge is a pointless endeavor in the long run

5) many relgious outlooks associate absinence and anti-gluttony (lack of better word sorry) with theism and by default (either or) indulgence and gluttony with athiesm ...prompting the second half of that qoute.

1) I have not read Nietzsche so I have no comment on that line of thought

2)Morality can be seperated by religion in the living experiments of constant religious wars all over the world and the prescense of the entire field of secular humanism which has been morally beneficial to most of mankind without the inclusion of religion. I would contend actually that the marriage of secular humanism with religion could be in the benefit of both parties as long as the scientist were allowed to run things "their way" without religious input. The reason being is that religion would have in their corner a group driven to find out the answers of life whom are completely neutral an unbiased and secular humanism would get the moral, financial and community recognition it deserves in many cases.

3) The existance of the afterlife has never been proven but the existance of now has. I seems friviously to toss out what we know in exchange for what we don't know especially given the fact that they are not mutually exclusive.

4) I can't grasp that arugment but have heard it made. Maybe someone will agree with it and elaborate on it?

5) It is on the assumption that absinense is moral and indulgence is amoral. And that religion and morality are inseperable. Goes back to # 2. Not sure why absinence or over indulgence is considered amoral without a canvess to context it on......? Just heard it phased before.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
linwood said:
I`ve never seen an atheist near death however so I can`t say how one might act..probably scared.
I`ve watched a few people breathe their last or close to it...all Christian.
These people were scared to one extent or another.
Why were they in fear if they believed that promise?
Hell..why don`t they welcome death if it`s heaven afterward?

Thats a decent counter to "The Atheist in a Foxhole" argument, "The Christian on His Deathbed" argument.
Many years ago, I was 90% sure I was going to drown. I questioned myself as to whether I should reconsider my atheist status. I decided that I was at peace with my atheism and had no fear of after-death repercussions. Obviously, I was rescued. I am still very much at peace with my atheism. :)

chuck010342

linwood said:
Why do so many believers throw this old gem out there?
an oldy but a goody

linwood said:
It shows the person making the statement hasn`t even thought before he spoke.
you insult me before you listen to me? Adhominen anybody

linwood said:
I am responding to you

linwood said:
Why is it that when I say my purpose in life is my family, friends, and society it is somehow less honorable for living for the glory of an invisible sky daddy and the unfounded promise of blissful life everlasting.
Did your family, friends or society give you eternal life?

God is not a sky daddy he is the omnipotent,omniscent, self-sufficent, pre- eminent, never distant, the divine thiller, the sin and the death killer, the eternal aqau, the never ending saga, the most genreous blood donor, the lord Jesus the christ the author and finisher of all life

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
OK, Chuck -

What would you say to a Buddhist? We certainly have purpose in life, and a moral system, but none of it involves any of the Abrahamic conventions. Many of the Buddhist guidelines for living a good life resemble the Abrahamic ones, but definitely not all of them. No afterlife, but instead the next life. Heaven and hell are right here, on this earth, in this life. You can go from one to the other quite quickly, even several times a day. Just curious what your response to a Buddhist might be.

chuck010342

Engyo said:
OK, Chuck -

What would you say to a Buddhist? We certainly have purpose in life, and a moral system, but none of it involves any of the Abrahamic conventions. Many of the Buddhist guidelines for living a good life resemble the Abrahamic ones, but definitely not all of them. No afterlife, but instead the next life. Heaven and hell are right here, on this earth, in this life. You can go from one to the other quite quickly, even several times a day. Just curious what your response to a Buddhist might be.
wow a direct challenge thank you for asking me something it feels good
I was considering becomind a Buddhist for a while in my life.

but before I answer I need to know if you want me to respond to Theravada Buddhism or Zen Buddhism or any others. I like specific questions.

However in general I belive that Buddism makes some major mistakes when it comes to logic and countradictions withing there faith system. If you would like me to get more specific I would need to know which kind of Buddhism I should be answering to

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Chuck -

You are welcome to respond to any particular sort of Buddhism you wish. I personally practice Nichiren Buddhism; this is a Japanese Mahayana school, derivative of Tendai (or T'ien-T'ai) doctrines. We consider the Lotus Sutra to be inclusive of all the Buddha's teachings. I have a certain amount of understanding of other Buddhist traditions, at least as they apply to what I practice. Does this help? BTW, I should mention that I have been doing this for over 20 years.

meogi

chuck010342 said:
linwood said:
I am responding to you
He hasn't answered your question though. ;)

chuck010342 said:

God is not a sky daddy he is the omnipotent,omniscent, self-sufficent, pre- eminent, never distant, the divine thiller, the sin and the death killer, the eternal aqau, the never ending saga, the most genreous blood donor, the lord Jesus the christ the author and finisher of all life
That sounds like something out of A Knight's Tale. :D

But no, family, friends, and society do not give eternal life. But they do give you a reason to live. I don't see why you need a 'bonus' just for existing. Tell me, does believing make you a better person than non-believers? Getting the 'bonus' would lead me to think so... but I'll waith for your reply.

linwood

I am responding to you

Yes you are but you still haven`t responded to the question..

Yes actually they do.
My children will grow up with ideals molded by my influence..good and bad.
The same goes for my friends, family and any part of society close enough to form a relationship with me.

If you mean in the literal physical sense then no...they do not give me eternal life.
But niether does Jesus, or Krischna, or Horus, or Budha, or Osiris, or Allah, or Leprechauns, or Vishnu.

Even if you do believe you will recieve eternal life you must know it won`t be physical.
You could not be the physical person you are in this life so will it even really be you living this "eternal life"?

Here`s my reason for living and how I as an atheist can possibly have morals....
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34893#post34893

Here`s is my hope for mankind..
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34801#post34801

Ok..but you`ve got to admit "Sky Daddy" is much easier on the typing fingers.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.