• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Desire to Disprove God

Civil Shephard

ok ok so atheism is not a belief but a non-belief... a thinking that has nothing to do with believing. I'll buy that but then wouldn't athiest be emotionless since emotions have a lot to do with beliefs?

I believe in an original thought I AM our creator. Atheist do not believe in a Creator. So to not believe in God means you don't believe in an original thought or thinker. So you think and you are but you do not have being so you just exist? You are a random occurance in an emotionless universe?

Last edited:

RitalinO.D.

ok ok so atheism is not a belief but a non-belief... a thinking that has nothing to do with believing. I'll buy that but then wouldn't athiest be emotionless since emotions have a lot to do with beliefs?

I believe in an original thought I AM our creator. Atheist do not believe in a Creator. So to not believe in God means you don't believe in an original thought or thinker. So you think and you are but you do not have being so you just exist? You are a random occurance in an emotionless universe?

It's more indifference than lack of emotion.

waitasec

Veteran Member
hey civil...
just thought i peep in..

do you think religion thrives because of human emotions and the comfort it provides?

i do. did you look at the tsunami this morning...?
it did not stop for anyone and didn't take anyones feelings into consideration either...

outhouse

Atheistically
all I know is I dont have a belief about my lack of belief.

and lack of belief has nothing to do with emotions

Alceste

Vagabond

Can you try that again using logic and evidence to get from your premise to your conclusion? This question makes no sense to me.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Can you please rephrase in English?

Civil Shephard

hey civil...
just thought i peep in..

do you think religion thrives because of human emotions and the comfort it provides?

In a word... yup. Positive emotions like hope and love seem to have the most positive effects on folks in the direst of circumstances.

i do. did you look at the tsunami this morning...?
it did not stop for anyone and didn't take anyones feelings into consideration either...

That's kinda what got me thinking about it all. I'll admit to being willing to play with the idea that the God Moses taught to the world doesn't exist... but that's a bit to much for me since I don't think I'm capable of denying the reality I've already percieved of the presence of I AM. When I was a kid seeking God I asked "Who am I God and why am I here." Then the more I read of Moses and Jesus the more my thinking changed to a belief in the presence of an original thinker.

Thinking for me is believing. Emotions are a result of thinking... or at least that's where the seat of emotions seems to come from to me... emotions come from the thoughts I think.

And I think atheism is an absurd proposition because when I have a question in my head that I can't put into english... well, let's just say I have a comfort in the spirit of the question itself. I care, I exist, I AM... but now you don't have to believe that or even like it because of all the evil and suffering and I'm pretty sure I AM will still be.

Isn't the belief or non-belief in the existence of God tied into the perception of good and evil?

I believe so... and I believe that folks who deny the existence of an original being cannot reconcile the existance of evil. I just don't see that our common creator has a big problem with us feeling or thinking that way. After all... some of my best friends are atheist... you just won't see me with them that much.:D

Ben Masada

Atheists' desire to disprove God? That's man's natural inclination to either blame God for his or her wrongdoings or desperate attempts to escape a finger-pointing at their responsibility to use their freewill to choose between good and evil.
Ben

St Giordano Bruno

For most atheists I have met they only have a desire to disprove certain definitions of God such as an Abrahamic God. But the term "God" is such ambiguous concept they often feel it is too much of a waste of time disproving all of them.

outhouse

Atheistically
For most atheists I have met they only have a desire to disprove certain definitions of God such as an Abrahamic God. But the term "God" is such ambiguous concept they often feel it is too much of a waste of time disproving all of them.

in the US where more believe in creation then evolution due to abrahamic beliefs.

I find the need to shine the light of truth on the historical facts regarding the creation of these myths.

All groups of people create myths and spirits, they always have. Why people find faith in something no one knows anything about is simply amazing

Why religion has been able to get away with what it has pulled in the past and what its doing now fighting science just seems primitive to me.

Alceste

Vagabond
In a word... yup. Positive emotions like hope and love seem to have the most positive effects on folks in the direst of circumstances.

That's kinda what got me thinking about it all. I'll admit to being willing to play with the idea that the God Moses taught to the world doesn't exist... but that's a bit to much for me since I don't think I'm capable of denying the reality I've already percieved of the presence of I AM. When I was a kid seeking God I asked "Who am I God and why am I here." Then the more I read of Moses and Jesus the more my thinking changed to a belief in the presence of an original thinker.

Thinking for me is believing. Emotions are a result of thinking... or at least that's where the seat of emotions seems to come from to me... emotions come from the thoughts I think.

And I think atheism is an absurd proposition because when I have a question in my head that I can't put into english... well, let's just say I have a comfort in the spirit of the question itself. I care, I exist, I AM... but now you don't have to believe that or even like it because of all the evil and suffering and I'm pretty sure I AM will still be.

Isn't the belief or non-belief in the existence of God tied into the perception of good and evil?

I believe so... and I believe that folks who deny the existence of an original being cannot reconcile the existance of evil. I just don't see that our common creator has a big problem with us feeling or thinking that way. After all... some of my best friends are atheist... you just won't see me with them that much.:D

That's some interesting speculation, but I think you'll find non-belief is only tied into not believing in any deities.

Those of us who have never believed in any imaginary (or, if you prefer, "ineffable") omnipotent, benevolent beings generally don't spend any time at all wrestling with the problem of evil. For us, it is not a "problem" in the same sense that it troubles monotheists.

Speaking only for myself, it certainly has no impact on my inability to believe in deities and other imaginary entities. That is the result of my basic personality: I accept no factual claim that is not accompanied by substantial empirical evidence. I never have. Not even Santa slipped through the cracks. :shrug: I was taken to church, but I interpreted it as an exercise in make-believe, like the game "pretend the footpath is infested with alligators". ( I thought that was a silly, boring game because there weren't any alligators, but I still jumped over the footpath because that was what the other kids were doing).

Do you understand that some people are atheists without ever having wrestled with a single theological problem?

Civil Shephard

Do you understand that some people are atheists without ever having wrestled with a single theological problem?

Well yes I do. It's a choice they've made though and not a matter of birth.

And no I don't... since you're very presence in religious forums makes me question the integrity of your non-belief.

Orias

Left Hand Path
in the US where more believe in creation then evolution due to abrahamic beliefs.

I find the need to shine the light of truth on the historical facts regarding the creation of these myths.

Indeed, it is a topic that is minimally taught in school. Of course though, not all people are capable of walking more than one road.

All groups of people create myths and spirits, they always have. Why people find faith in something no one knows anything about is simply amazing

This must be thought of from an outside perspective.

Why religion has been able to get away with what it has pulled in the past and what its doing now fighting science just seems primitive to me.

Sure, what religion has done and is now trying to do was/is horrible, but it goes with merit. Because of it's existence, people like us exist :fork: