• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist but...

Deidre

Hello, I'm new here and have been struggling as of late, with my lack of belief, if you will. I deconverted from Christianity about four years ago, and starting openly identifying myself as an atheist, about two years ago. But, since the summer, I've felt this dull ache or void that I can't quite explain. I'm going to Xmas Eve church service with my dad this year, I haven't been to church in a while. I'm wondering if anyone here who is an atheist, ever experienced this ''struggle'' at times?

I'd appreciate any insight you might be willing to share. Logically, I'm 100% an atheist. There is no logic or reasoning (or truth) behind religion. But, emotionally...that is the tougher part for me. That is what religion once provided to me, a comfort for tough times.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nothing stopping you from doing whatever you want on this score.

I was born and raised RCC. I left the Trinity and PoE behind decades ago. But I like Easter Vigil Mass and haven't missed one in 20 years. It is not logical exactly. I don't care. It makes me happy so I go.

Tom

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Welcome!

I don't see a reason to make it a struggle though.

Masculine men have watched chick flicks because their lover wanted to.

Some people will go to a concert for a band they find annoying. etc

Look forward to see you posting. Best of luck!

Yerda

Veteran Member
Hello, I'm new here and have been struggling as of late, with my lack of belief, if you will. I deconverted from Christianity about four years ago, and starting openly identifying myself as an atheist, about two years ago. But, since the summer, I've felt this dull ache or void that I can't quite explain. I'm going to Xmas Eve church service with my dad this year, I haven't been to church in a while. I'm wondering if anyone here who is an atheist, ever experienced this ''struggle'' at times?

I'd appreciate any insight you might be willing to share. Logically, I'm 100% an atheist. There is no logic or reasoning (or truth) behind religion. But, emotionally...that is the tougher part for me. That is what religion once provided to me, a comfort for tough times.
There is truth in religion. A lot of it and things more important than truth. If you feel comfortable, go. Take comfort.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think you don't have to be a dead stone to be a so called atheist, many atheist seem to be frightened of anything to do with spirituality, they throw the baby out with the bath water. Of course you can still be poetic about life, you can still see the mystery of life, you can call yourself a mystic and still believe in all the scientific so called facts of life, but why dry about it ?. No matter who you are, you and I will never know the mystery of life, we can pull it apart an analyse it, but then it is dead.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm wondering if anyone here who is an atheist, ever experienced this ''struggle'' at times?
Though I no longer technically identify myself with labels like this, I do qualify as atheist in the context of not believing in mythic-literal deities and embracing the modern and rational in the context of science and reason. I don't accept mythologies as scientific realities. I take what can be called an "integral aperspectival" approach which means, I can speak from that position, as an atheist, while not solely self-identifying as one (or anything else either for that matter).

While I did solely self-identify as atheist for many years and can speak from that context to what you are saying here. Like you as a self-identified atheist I struggled with those feelings of needing to be true to rationality, yet all the while experiencing the ineffable and feeling hypocritical about it. I remember the conflict of identifying myself as atheist while having what I historically associated as "religious" feelings.

I think the important part was for me was to realize the 'religious' experience is not something owned by religion! :) As someone pointed out in this thread citing the "spiritual but not religious" category, that is a good starting place. I later called myself a "spiritual atheist", but ultimately I just dropped labels like this as it too had the
connotations of what you 'should' of 'should not' believe or think for me. Hence why I felt hypocritical. Those of my peer group, those who were self-identified as atheists called such things derogatory terms such as "woo", when they were hardly that at all.

Now this experience may not be others experience in using the label and that's perfectly fine as long as they are not conflicted. It sounds like you are struggling with what I did, so that's why I share my own experience. There is no reason I see that one can reject the dogma and literalness of mythic systems and embrace the rational, while embracing the
ineffable at the same time. It certainly was true of Einstein and a long list of the great modern physicists. If anything I self-identify as it is a mystic (like them), as the question of God or no-God is really the wrong question at that point. Atheism is a valid perspective, but like all perspectives, its relative, not absolute.

Jumi

If prayer gives you comfort you learn to pray in a silent way. Not talking to god but with yourself.

Orbit

I'm a planet

I am also atheist with regard to all mythic-literal gods, and came to a similar place as you recently. I wanted a spiritual connection, but I wasn't interested in going back to any religion. Doing meditation and thinking about panentheism is what helped me. Meditation gives that spiritual high, that sense of connection to the universe, which is where the panentheism comes in (which you can define as an unknowable life force of the universe, not involving any deity).

If you're interested, it might be good to start a thread about meditation and your concerns in Comparative Religion.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

I was Catholic until around 17. I went through several years of still sort of considering myself Catholic but not really believing. When I started here, I was able to clarify my beliefs and realized I was an atheist. When you're raised with something, it becomes part of you and it feels like home. So, it's no surprise you are still emotionally attached to church and the rituals. I went to Christmas mass with my parents for several years even when I wasn't really a Christian anymore. It's perfectly fine to do some of the things that still feel like home, even if you don't actually believe in the theology anymore.

Also, there are some churches across the country started by atheists for atheists, and they have actual masses on Sundays just like a Christian church. They just talk about stuff other than God. But that way people who still like the idea of church and community but don't believe in a religion can still get what they want.

Deidre

Though I no longer technically identify myself with labels like this, I do qualify as atheist in the context of not believing in mythic-literal deities and embracing the modern and rational in the context of science and reason. I don't accept mythologies as scientific realities. I take what can be called an "integral aperspectival" approach which means, I can speak from that position, as an atheist, while not solely self-identifying as one (or anything else either for that matter).

While I did solely self-identify as atheist for many years and can speak from that context to what you are saying here. Like you as a self-identified atheist I struggled with those feelings of needing to be true to rationality, yet all the while experiencing the ineffable and feeling hypocritical about it. I remember the conflict of identifying myself as atheist while having what I historically associated as "religious" feelings.

I think the important part was for me was to realize the 'religious' experience is not something owned by religion! :) As someone pointed out in this thread citing the "spiritual but not religious" category, that is a good starting place. I later called myself a "spiritual atheist", but ultimately I just dropped labels like this as it too had the
connotations of what you 'should' of 'should not' believe or think for me. Hence why I felt hypocritical. Those of my peer group, those who were self-identified as atheists called such things derogatory terms such as "woo", when they were hardly that at all.

Now this experience may not be others experience in using the label and that's perfectly fine as long as they are not conflicted. It sounds like you are struggling with what I did, so that's why I share my own experience. There is no reason I see that one can reject the dogma and literalness of mythic systems and embrace the rational, while embracing the
ineffable at the same time. It certainly was true of Einstein and a long list of the great modern physicists. If anything I self-identify as it is a mystic (like them), as the question of God or no-God is really the wrong question at that point. Atheism is a valid perspective, but like all perspectives, its relative, not absolute.

''I don't accept mythologies as scientific realities.'' That is so well said, and gives me a different perspective to go on. I'm perhaps too wary of labels. When I tell people I'm an atheist, there are always those looks of shock and awe that follow. lol I think it holds with it a cold connotation, and not that I should care, but I like how you expand upon things a bit more. To me, atheism has represented something far more than a mere disbelief in a deity. It has brought me freedom and the ability to trust my decisions. I remember when following Christianity, that choke hold feeling of not being in control of my thoughts, or my life...'what would Jesus do,' and while that was well and good at the time, it didn't teach me how to become a critical thinker.

Orbit mentioned that there is another thread to discuss this in further detail, and I will look for it tomorrow as I'd be interested in learning and chatting more about it all. Thanks very much for your sentiments here!

Deidre

I was Catholic until around 17. I went through several years of still sort of considering myself Catholic but not really believing. When I started here, I was able to clarify my beliefs and realized I was an atheist. When you're raised with something, it becomes part of you and it feels like home. So, it's no surprise you are still emotionally attached to church and the rituals. I went to Christmas mass with my parents for several years even when I wasn't really a Christian anymore. It's perfectly fine to do some of the things that still feel like home, even if you don't actually believe in the theology anymore.

Also, there are some churches across the country started by atheists for atheists, and they have actual masses on Sundays just like a Christian church. They just talk about stuff other than God. But that way people who still like the idea of church and community but don't believe in a religion can still get what they want.

Thank you for this...
Yes, emotionally attached to it. When I had gone through a long winding road to deconversion, I felt free when I finally let go. This was about 4 years ago. I didn't feel this angst until summer of this year. Your post here helps me to see that it's ok to just relax and not panic, and let these feelings cause me problems. Or that I shouldn't feel guilty either way. I spent so many years feeling guilty as a Christian. lol

Deidre

I think you don't have to be a dead stone to be a so called atheist, many atheist seem to be frightened of anything to do with spirituality, they throw the baby out with the bath water. Of course you can still be poetic about life, you can still see the mystery of life, you can call yourself a mystic and still believe in all the scientific so called facts of life, but why dry about it ?. No matter who you are, you and I will never know the mystery of life, we can pull it apart an analyse it, but then it is dead.

I used to feel this way about atheism, but one doesn't need to be hard-lined in their approach to it, I guess is how I'd view it. I like your thoughts on it, and again...you echo the fact that there's no reason to fret over it all. Maybe we are forever works in progress...always on a journey, no end really. I mean, I like things to make sense, and have some order...but, unlike when I was religious, atheism isn't the sum total of who I am. Thanks for your comment!