• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not scientific

Ostronomos

Atheism, is based on ignorance or a lack of knowledge of reality.

As I am 100% aware of the reality of a universal consciousness I seek ways of translating the explanation to the layman. However, as my intelligence is limited while in my normal state I cannot perceive a universal explanation that can reach each and every one of you.

Thank you.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member

What you describe here is akin to agnostic atheism (soft atheism), like my own beliefs. Gnostic atheism (hard atheism) is very much a thing as well, though, and falls outside of your description of atheism.

As I am 100% aware of the reality of a universal consciousness I seek ways of translating the explanation to the layman. However, as my intelligence is limited while in my normal state I cannot perceive a universal explanation that can reach each and every one of you.

That's rather convenient for you, seeing as how you are then shirking the responsibility of producing evidence. This is also very unscientific.

Thank you.

You're welcome. :)

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Neither atheism nor belief have anything to do with science. Both are unprovable philosophical stances. Science is all about what can be proven by experimentation.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Thank you.
Of course atheism is scientific.

As of now, there is nothing supporting a universal consciousness past the idea stage that can be further tested and proven repeatability that it's not just an idea.

Unless of course new information emerges that upgrades it to a hypothesis.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Thank you.

Atheism is based on lack of evidence of any god. Anything more, anything less is just a figment of bigotry.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity

Thank you.
Oh, you really don't need to bother.

No, really, you don't.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course atheism is scientific.
How? Did science do a study on it and prove it? What year? Who were the scientists? Who peer reviewed it? What were its basic findings? Where did they find it too? On one of the branches of the philosophy bush? :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How? Did science do a study on it and prove it? What year? Who were the scientists? Who peer reviewed it? What were its basic findings? Where did they find it too? On one of the branches of the philosophy bush? :)

Atheism has nothing to prove. You may be mistaken as to what atheism is. Like theism atheism is a big tent. It does not necessarily say "there is no God". Atheism is merely a statement of belief. There are "hard atheists" that will claim that there is no God, but most atheists have the position of:

"I do not believe in a God because insufficient evidence for a God has been given."

Most agnostics are also atheists. Though there are theistic agnostics. Gnosticism is a claim of what one knows.

For soft atheists the burden of proof is upon theists and they have not met it. Of course people that believe in a God will believe that the burden of proof is upon those that do not believe. Usualy this is regarded as an error since it is the person making a positive claim that has a burden of proof. Of course that applies to hard atheists too. They are making a "positive claim" when they say that God does not exist. I have not see any totally convincing arguments from the side either.

A Vestigial Mote

So, as an atheist I lack knowledge of reality? Dang... what have I been experiencing then I wonder?
As I am 100% aware of the reality of a universal consciousness
Well that must be nice.
I seek ways of translating the explanation to the layman.
Ahh... the laymen! Yes, what an ignorant group those. Oh wait... I'm one, aren't I? Well dang.
However, as my intelligence is limited
Say it ain't so @Ostronomos!
while in my normal state
Oh those pesky "normal states!"
I cannot perceive a universal explanation that can reach each and every one of you.
Yeah, that sounds hard. Practice makes perfect though. You've got this!

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Atheism is based on the principle of skepticism and the lack of persuasive evidence for the existence of a god.

Skepticism is one of the most powerful and productive ideas man ever had. It converted creationism into the Big Bang and the theory of evolution. It converted astrology and alchemy into astronomy and chemistry. It released man from the bondage of scripture, of commanded obedience to kings and slavers, of systemic homophobia, misogyny, and atheophobia, and from the irrational threat of hell. It showed us where scriptures and received ancient wisdom are incorrect.

Theism is based on a guess, not reality. Science is based on reality.

As I am 100% aware of the reality of a universal consciousness I seek ways of translating the explanation to the layman.

Why do you think others should care? Personally, I don't care what others believe, just what they know and can convincingly demonstrate. Your beliefs in a universal consciousness are of no interest to skeptics if you present them with insufficient evidence.

Religious people too often behave as if they are on to something powerful that others need to hear about, but then don't deliver. People come onto the Internet with their hair on fire for God, misrepresenting science they don't understand, and berating a godless worldview that they also don't understand (how many can even define atheism properly let alone accurately reproduce what it is that atheists believe and claim?) to promote a worldview that they cannot support and that doesn't seem to be doing much for them.

ecco

Veteran Member

It is factual reality that there have been many hundreds of gods worshipped by man. Do you accept all of them as GOD? Or are you certain that all but your chosen one is just a figment of man's imagination?

How do you know this? Is your knowledge because of your ignorance?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Thank you.
Theism could potentially be proven, not atheism.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Perhaps. If there is a god he or she could make its presence known. But the fact that that has not happened is not very good news for that belief. It tells us that if there is a god that it cannot care about us very much.
Now you're in my territory. If God were to make Himself known and people still rebelled against Him, He would not be very happy.

God could want more human freedom to make their own decisions without knowing about Him.

Plus I think the trickster argument is stupid. Why couldn't God trick us or allow us to trick ourselves?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is factual reality that there have been many hundreds of gods worshipped by man. Do you accept all of them as GOD? Or are you certain that all but your chosen one is just a figment of man's imagination?

How do you know this? Is your knowledge because of your ignorance?

Actually around 4200 (excluding the millions of Hindu gods). If those 4200 around 3800 of them were creator gods. I still haven't found out how all 3800 if them each made the universe.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Now you're in my territory. If God were to make Himself known and people still rebelled against Him, He would not be very happy.

God could want more human freedom to make their own decisions without knowing about Him.

Plus I think the trickster argument is stupid. Why couldn't God trick us or allow us to trick ourselves?
There are many that believe in a trickster God. They simply do not realize it.

Here is an important question: Why should it matter to God whether people believe in him or not?