• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism and morality

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
there are parts in our world were atheism is illegal. many people of religion think that atheists, since they don't believe in god, they have no morals. this is a misconception. morality can be and is independent of god. a person shouldn't necessarily believe in a creator god in order to have a high ethical standard. as long as atheists are moral beings they can deny god as long as they wish. laws shouldn't ban atheism.
This thread doesnt need me to comment.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm already seeing fire in your pink text. If there is a hell, this is it.
You are a Lutheran, no? You said you take an atheist to be a fool, and Jesus did not have good things to say about such behavior. And, yes, you can tell when a believer is made uncomfortable by someone's lack of belief.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
there are parts in our world were atheism is illegal. many people of religion think that atheists, since they don't believe in god, they have no morals. this is a misconception. morality can be and is independent of god. a person shouldn't necessarily believe in a creator god in order to have a high ethical standard. as long as atheists are moral beings they can deny god as long as they wish. laws shouldn't ban atheism.
Agreed.

atanu

Premium Member

It is, IMO, a bit complicated. I can only relate my experience. I have seen my atheist father who was corruption free but had lust. About 20 years back I was an atheist and materialist and I was mostly corruption free and lust free. But once a chance for corruption surfaced I did a corrupt act without compunction. Similarly, I acted upon my lust too without compunction. But then the law of 'Karma' caught up meting out severe punishments. After a long struggle, I began believing in a truth much bigger than ego. And now, when I believe in the law of 'Karma', I am more conscious of my acts and their possible negative karmic effects.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not atheism that is illegal but pronouncing it.

Actually, some of the rules are more tied up with blasphemy. As such, it's not always atheism that is the focus, in and of itself.

I don't believe atheists don't believe in God.

I assure you, I don't believe in God. Whatever you might think of that, you 'not believing atheists don't believe in God' is one of the more self-masturbatory beliefs I've seen written here.

A man with God within him is morally more correct while a man with no God in him is always corrupt.

I would assume there is some sort of 'No true Scotsman' thing at play, here, right? Or you think religious inspired terrorism is more morally correct than atheism?

If a person says he does not believe in a God I take him to be such a fool he could not possibly be left to judge the coming days with his profound nasal intuition.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't care. You're welcome to your insular beliefs, as long as you don't act on them in a political sense.
Gotta ask, though...'nasal intuition'?

Shushersbedamned

Actually, some of the rules are more tied up with blasphemy. As such, it's not always atheism that is the focus, in and of itself.

I assure you, I don't believe in God. Whatever you might think of that, you 'not believing atheists don't believe in God' is one of the more self-masturbatory beliefs I've seen written here.

I would assume there is some sort of 'No true Scotsman' thing at play, here, right? Or you think religious inspired terrorism is more morally correct than atheism?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't care. You're welcome to your insular beliefs, as long as you don't act on them in a political sense.
Gotta ask, though...'nasal intuition'?
Nevertheless the human mind is superstitious by nature. So I stand by my words.. isn't masturbation always self- ...but I don't think what happens on my bedroom has much to do with this.

Atheism has little to do with morality. But it does have somethin to do with it. No more or less than terrorism as far as I can recognize.

A Vestigial Mote

I don't believe atheists don't believe in God.
You don't have to believe it. Even without your belief it is still true. Now where have I heard something like that before... ?

A man with God within him is morally more correct while a man with no God in him is always corrupt.
Be careful using those words that confer absolutes... like "always" or "never." From a long tradition of experience, people who use those words in ways like you just have often tend to be wrong.

If a person says he does not believe in a God I take him to be such a fool he could not possibly be left to judge the coming days with his profound nasal intuition.
I do not believe in God. Call me a fool - do you think it will make any difference? And what on Earth does it mean to "judge the coming days with [my] profound nasal intuition?" Using my sense of smell to tell the future? Is that a thing that Lutherans do? Haven't heard about that one before.

Shushersbedamned

Is it? Here's the definition of ideal:

a system of ideas and ideals, especially one that forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.

What ideas or ideals is atheism based on? Is there a system there?
  • The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.
  • n.
    A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
  • The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.
  • n.
    A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.
Yes, different dictionaries will offer different wording for their definitions. I will redirect my same question to your reworded definition even though it amounts to the same result. Please answer the question this time.

What is the body of ideas reflecting social needs and aspirations that forms atheism? What are atheism's doctrines or beliefs?

Shushersbedamned

Yes, different dictionaries will offer different wording for their definitions. I will redirect my same question to your reworded definition even though it amounts to the same result. Please answer the question this time.

What is the body of ideas reflecting social needs and aspirations that forms atheism? What are atheism's doctrines or beliefs?
It's different from that of those that call themselves Christians.

Often they claim that the society would be better without the church and religious teachings.