• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Us About Zoroastrianism

DanielR

Awesome! Might I recommend the book called 'The teachings of Zoroaster', it is written by a Parsi but it is a very well rounded and informative text. You can find a copy on Google or on amazon I believe.

thank you very much, I'll definately check it out! :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I was trying to practice Kabbala for a while, I wanted the authentic Jewish Kabbala but for Jewish K I'd have to be Jewish lol and it's impossible for me to convert, actually that was the only aspect of K I did not like plus I don't believe in reincarnation I then tried to do some Hermetic Kabbala (no conversion required) but to me it's not 'authentic'. Kabbala is Jewish for me :(.

I'm still searching, this spiritual business is still very new to me, I love it, it inspires me, but I think I need to choose wisely. I have extreme difficulties accepting reincarnation beliefs that's why I switched from Advaita to Kabbala since in Kabbala reincarnations are limited (some say only 7, some say only 4 reincarnations I believe). But Jewish conversion is very strict.

I hope I don't sound ignorant but imho the religion I choose should be open for everyone, I don't like this limiting aspect. I know in Zoroastrianism conversion is also difficult but only for Parsis I believe, am I correct?

Sorry for my messy writing style, I'm a bit tired!

I cannot wait to read the Gathas ;)!

Did you see this thread?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I did actually haha :D!

I went through all the threads in this dir. ;)

Did you formally convert (by priest) or did you just adopt the philosophy?

I don't know if I can find a priest in my hometown, I also don't know if it's absolutely necessary, if you know what I mean?

No, imo there's no need for 'formal' conversion. That's just a social thing. There is probably one Zoroastrian Fire Temple in this whole country lol and it's nowhere near me. Most Brits don't know what a Zoroastrian is. Also as a native Brit myself I don't have the Ancient Persia obsession and don't feel the need to adopt a whole new identity. In my opinion, if you follow Prophet Zarathustra and believe in Ahuramazda and don't worship the daevas, then you are a Mazdayasnian. There is no need for Priests and ceremonial riffraff.

DanielR

No, imo there's no need for 'formal' conversion. That's just a social thing. There is probably one Zoroastrian Fire Temple in this whole country lol and it's nowhere near me. Most Brits don't know what a Zoroastrian is. Also as a native Brit myself I don't have the Ancient Persia obsession and don't feel the need to adopt a whole new identity. In my opinion, if you follow Prophet Zarathustra and believe in Ahuramazda and don't worship the daevas, then you are a Mazdayasnian. There is no need for Priests and ceremonial riffraff.

LoL, that's exactly how I see it as well!! :D Nice to know that I'm not the only one. I have a few questions regarding Zoroastrianism (maybe not quite a few but many lol), I'll use this thread or start new topics if that would be alright? :oops:

I'm trying to read the Avesta right now (minus the Gathas), not an easy task haha! Is this necessary or would it be enough if I read the Gathas only?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
LoL, that's exactly how I see it as well!! :D Nice to know that I'm not the only one. I have a few questions regarding Zoroastrianism (maybe not quite a few but many lol), I'll use this thread or start new topics if that would be alright? :oops:

I'm trying to read the Avesta right now (minus the Gathas), not an easy task haha! Is this necessary or would it be enough if I read the Gathas only?
Keep questions to this thread as I'm notified of it.

As a Reform (Gathic only) Mazdayasnian I'd recommend you at least read the Avesta, but I only use the Gathas as true scripture and certain parts of the Avesta which are older and written in the Gathic dialect.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Seriously Zoroastrianism sounds like the perfect religion to me. I'm starting to read a bit about its philosophy, well I bought the Avesta some time ago, I should have bought the Gathas before, waiting for my copy to arrive and I really love what I read.

The Gathas are part of the Avesta. In fact I think it's in the first part.

Corthos

Great Old One
Heya Daniel! Glad to hear about your interest! =)

If you want to read the Gathas by themselves, there are plenty (PLENTY) of different translations. So far, my favorite translation is the one by Ali A. Jafarey. It's free, and there are breakdowns for every stanza. =)

http://zoroastrian.org/GathaSongs/index.htm

Awesome! Might I recommend the book called 'The teachings of Zoroaster', it is written by a Parsi but it is a very well rounded and informative text. You can find a copy on Google or on amazon I believe.

I haven't read that one yet! I'll check it out when I get the chance. =) Thanks!

DanielR

The Gathas are part of the Avesta. In fact I think it's in the first part.

I have a German version from Fritz (Franz?) Wolff :(. Unfortunately it says in the book, that I have to buy the Gathas separately which is a bit rude haha. What I mean is that they are not part of my Avesta. That sucks since it was so difficult to find the Avesta in German at all and I paid like 90 Euros at that time for the Hardcover book ^^.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a German version from Fritz (Franz?) Wolff :(. Unfortunately it says in the book, that I have to buy the Gathas separately which is a bit rude haha. What I mean is that they are not part of my Avesta. That sucks since it was so difficult to find the Avesta in German at all and I paid like 90 Euros at that time for the Hardcover book ^^.
Why don't you read them online?

DanielR

Question: Do you all believe that our souls are going through some sort of evolutionary process towards perfection? This would of course imply some sort of reincarnation.

I've read on another webpage that this would be a Zoroastrian view, is this true??

I know that Zoroastrianism focuses on the here and now, but what do you believe happens after death? Do you believe in literal hell and heaven or metaphoric? I've also read that there is the view that there is no death it's just a transition but into something 'better'?

Corthos

Great Old One
Question: Do you all believe that our souls are going through some sort of evolutionary process towards perfection? This would of course imply some sort of reincarnation.

I've read on another webpage that this would be a Zoroastrian view, is this true??

I know that Zoroastrianism focuses on the here and now, but what do you believe happens after death? Do you believe in literal hell and heaven or metaphoric? I've also read that there is the view that there is no death it's just a transition but into something 'better'?

I will speak for myself only, as I'm still learning, and I don't want to presume that I speak for all Zoroastrians. XD

As for you question, I suppose I do, but I would describe this "evolution" as a progression of our state of mind/thought process (Spenta Mainyu - literally, progressive mind/thinking). Keep in mind, our decisions don't always lead towards a positive direction (Angra Mainyu - regressive mind/thinking). Not sure how this would work itself into reincarnation. How are we supposed to progressively improve past where we were in our previous lives if we can't remember from their mistakes/lessons, or even know how far they had progressed? Reincarnation doesn't have anything to do with Zoroastrianism, as far as I know. =/

As for heaven and hell, I believe they are metaphoric states of mind (anything more than that are subjects that I'm still researching, and others might give different answers). "Hell" isn't a land of fire and brimstone; torment isn't the goal. It's a temporary and transitional state where purification will take place after a time. As for "heaven," I like the idea of transitioning into something "better", though I couldn't tell you exactly what that will be like. What I've read, however, is that it's called Garo-Demana.

As explained in Jafarey's book (The Gathas, Our Guide), "Garo-Demana is the 'Abode of Songs,' the ultimate and serene state of the wholeness and immortality of soul."

DanielR

I will speak for myself only, as I'm still learning, and I don't want to presume that I speak for all Zoroastrians. XD

As for you question, I suppose I do, but I would describe this "evolution" as a progression of our state of mind/thought process (Spenta Mainyu - literally, progressive mind/thinking). Keep in mind, our decisions don't always lead towards a positive direction (Angra Mainyu - regressive mind/thinking). Not sure how this would work itself into reincarnation. How are we supposed to progressively improve past where we were in our previous lives if we can't remember from their mistakes/lessons, or even know how far they had progressed? Reincarnation doesn't have anything to do with Zoroastrianism, as far as I know. =/

As for heaven and hell, I believe they are metaphoric states of mind (anything more than that are subjects that I'm still researching, and others might give different answers). "Hell" isn't a land of fire and brimstone; torment isn't the goal. It's a temporary and transitional state where purification will take place after a time. As for "heaven," I like the idea of transitioning into something "better", though I couldn't tell you exactly what that will be like. What I've read, however, is that it's called Garo-Demana.

As explained in Jafarey's book (The Gathas, Our Guide), "Garo-Demana is the 'Abode of Songs,' the ultimate and serene state of the wholeness and immortality of soul."

Thank you so much ;) for replying! I already thought I killed this thread lol.