• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Us About Zoroastrianism

Corthos

Great Old One
I heard about it in my history class at school, went home and did research on it and then I found this forum. Your posts in fact have helped me a lot :)

Awesome! Glad to read that. This forum was also a huge help in introducing me to Zoroastrianism, and what it represents. =) I'm still learning, myself, but if you ever have questions never be afraid to ask. I'll answer in any limited way I can!

Vedic

Mhm!

Oh interesting... Fire is also a really big symbol in Zoroastrianism (as you can tell by my avatar). =)

Fire-Temple-350x200.jpg
yes Fire (yagna) and Vedic Altar are symbol of Vedic Dharma.
(Vedic Altar = Eagle)

eagle-shaped-yagna-kunda.jpg
Thrissur_1_Regional_529633f.jpg

Om is sound of Supreme god of Veda, Indra (idol worshiping is not allowed )
and i believe swastika is a symbol of godwill.

Corthos

Great Old One
yes Fire (yagna) and Vedic Altar are symbol of Vedic Dharma.
(Vedic Altar = Eagle)

eagle-shaped-yagna-kunda.jpg
Thrissur_1_Regional_529633f.jpg

Om is sound of Supreme god of Veda, Indra (idol worshiping is not allowed )
and i believe swastika is a symbol of godwill.

Interesting.... Yagna = Yasna, maybe? In Avestan, Yasna = Worship, veneration, or prayer (as far as I know).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vedic, my dear friend, do not take it otherwise, but according to the Forum rules, we can ask respectful questions about the religion in which forum we are. Posting about other religions is considered wrong. It would be nice if you to cut your last two posts from Zoroastrian Forum and take them to the Hiindu forum in a new topic. Remember, we are guests here. But otherwise, congratulations for your birthday tomorrow. I have posted a birthday song for you in the other topic.

Yes, like so many other words 'Yajna' and 'Yasna' are closely related in Zoroastrianism and Vedic Hinduism. After-all, we were one people at one time. However, RigVeda did not know about 'Om'.

Last edited:

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
@shahz and I are willing to answer any questions you may have about our Religion. Since it doesn't seem to be very well understood outside of certain circles we've decided to open this thread to enlighten and spark interest.

Thanks!

How do you feel about other religions blatantly taking ideas from yours and then calling them their own?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Initially, the two people were one and had the same ideas, followed the same lore (which came to us as Vedas). But I do not see any religious interaction between the Bactrian and the Indian Aryans after Zoroaster (except perhaps trade on the silk route - Uttarapatha) - getting Soma, till it was available and in demand. Then the supplies dried up and the shrub was forgotten. In later times marijuana was the Indian magic drink and continues to be so.

Corthos

Great Old One
Initially, the two people were one and had the same ideas, followed the same lore (which came to us as Vedas). But I do not see any religious interaction between the Bactrian and the Indian Aryans after Zoroaster (except perhaps trade on the silk route - Uttarapatha) - getting Soma, till it was available and in demand. Then the supplies dried up and the shrub was forgotten. In later times marijuana was the Indian magic drink and continues to be so.

Aye - Originally there were Aura worshipers, and Deva worshipers as far as I understand. Asho Zarathushtra (Zoroaster) had come to a realization that instead of many Ahuras (Lords), there was only one, and the best title/name for this Ahura was Mazda (Wisdom). I've read that there may be some indications that Ahura Mazda could have existed in times before Zoroaster, but there isn't any solid evidence for this (as of yet). =)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Ahura Mazda (Persian : اهورا مزدا-Sanskrit: असुर मेधा (Asura-Medhā)), is the name of God to Zoroastrians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda#Name

"The difficulty begins with the second half. Medhâ´, as here written in the Pada text, could only be a plural of a neuter medhá, but such a neuter does nowhere exist in the Veda. We only find the masculine médha (मेध), sacrifice, which is out of the question here, on account of its accent. Hence the passage III, 58, 2, ûrdhvâ´h bhavanti pitárâ-iva médhâh, is of no assistance, unless we alter the accent. The feminine medhâ (मेधा) means will, thought, prayer: I, 18, 6; II, 34, 7; IV, 33, 10; V, 27, 4; 42, 13; VII, 104, 6; VIII, 6, 10; 52, 9; IX, 9, 9; 26, 3; 32, 6; 65, 16; 107, 25; X, 91, 8."
(Aup's guess: 'our will, thought, prayer ascends upwards like the ancestors' :))
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe32/sbe3225.htm (Vedic Hymns, Part I (SBE32), by Max Müller, [1891], at sacred-texts.com)

Medha (spokensanskrit.de): prudence, form of Sarasvati, talent, mental vigour or power, intelligence, Intelligence personified, form of Dakshayani* in Kashmir, wisdom.
* Dakshayani: Sati, Prajapati Daksha's daughter and Shiva's first wife, Daksha - one of the Hindu Adams created by Brahma, like Gayōmard in Zoroastrianism.

Last edited:

DanielR

Seriously Zoroastrianism sounds like the perfect religion to me. I'm starting to read a bit about its philosophy, well I bought the Avesta some time ago, I should have bought the Gathas before, waiting for my copy to arrive and I really love what I read.

No eternal punishment like endless reincarnation and (temporary) hell, I love that really, I'm impressed!! :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Seriously Zoroastrianism sounds like the perfect religion to me. I'm starting to read a bit about its philosophy, well I bought the Avesta some time ago, I should have bought the Gathas before, waiting for my copy to arrive and I really love what I read.

No eternal punishment like endless reincarnation and (temporary) hell, I love that really, I'm impressed!! :)

Which religion/s had you before?

matthew_/!/

Awesome! Might I recommend the book called 'The teachings of Zoroaster', it is written by a Parsi but it is a very well rounded and informative text. You can find a copy on Google or on amazon I believe.

DanielR

Which religion/s had you before?

I was trying to practice Kabbala for a while, I wanted the authentic Jewish Kabbala but for Jewish K I'd have to be Jewish lol and it's impossible for me to convert, actually that was the only aspect of K I did not like plus I don't believe in reincarnation I then tried to do some Hermetic Kabbala (no conversion required) but to me it's not 'authentic'. Kabbala is Jewish for me :(.

I'm still searching, this spiritual business is still very new to me, I love it, it inspires me, but I think I need to choose wisely. I have extreme difficulties accepting reincarnation beliefs that's why I switched from Advaita to Kabbala since in Kabbala reincarnations are limited (some say only 7, some say only 4 reincarnations I believe). But Jewish conversion is very strict.

I hope I don't sound ignorant but imho the religion I choose should be open for everyone, I don't like this limiting aspect. I know in Zoroastrianism conversion is also difficult but only for Parsis I believe, am I correct?

Sorry for my messy writing style, I'm a bit tired!

I cannot wait to read the Gathas ;)!