• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Us About Zoroastrianism

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Where did the erroneous assumption that one cannot convert to Zoroastrianism come from and how is it refuted?

Is the Saoshyant some type of savior and is this person to be born of a virgin?

PS...I love this thread. :)

Basically I think it goes something like this:

When the Zoroastrians fled from Iran to India during the rise of Islam, it sorta turned out Islam was in India too. Islam, when it is in power, doesn't allow other religions to proselytise, so Zoroastrians were forbidden from it. Or something to do with a Hindi king not wanting Hindus to be converted to Zoroastrianism, and not allowing the faithful to preach to the Hindus. So they banned their members from preaching to make sure they didn't offend the state and endanger themselves, as so many had already been wiped out. For some reason it has now become a tradition.

Saoshyant is a saviour, but not a major theme if non-existent in my faith as it does not come from the Gathas. In some instances it may refer to Prophet Zarathustra himself.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Basically I think it goes something like this:

When the Zoroastrians fled from Iran to India during the rise of Islam, it sorta turned out Islam was in India too. Islam, when it is in power, doesn't allow other religions to proselytise, so Zoroastrians were forbidden from it. Or something to do with a Hindi king not wanting Hindus to be converted to Zoroastrianism, and not allowing the faithful to preach to the Hindus. So they banned their members from preaching to make sure they didn't offend the state and endanger themselves, as so many had already been wiped out. For some reason it has now become a tradition.
Thanks for the info. I was very intrigued by Zoroastrianism a decade ago when I was leaving Christianity but was told I couldn't convert. I didn't look into the prospect further.

Saoshyant is a saviour, but not a major theme if non-existent in my faith as it does not come from the Gathas. In some instances it may refer to Prophet Zarathustra himself.
I've heard rumors that while the Jews were held captive in Babylonia for 50 years they may have been influenced by Zoroastrianism. I've wondered who had the savior born of a virgin story out first, the Christians or Zoroastrians. Seems a bit coincidental.

Vedic

The term 'mobed' is a contraction of Middle Persian magu-pati, the first half of the expression apparently deriving from Avestan maga- or magu- (of uncertain meaning), and with Avestan -paiti meaning "master" or "teacher". Through Old Persian magush and Ancient Greek μάγος magos, Old Iranian magu- is also identified as the origin of the Latin word magus, a "magian". Through the Greek adjective μαγικός magikos and Old French magique, 'mobed' is distantly related to the English language word "magic".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobad

IMHO,a strong contender to the meaning of "magush" is "Maghāvan", a name of Vedic God Indra. Perhaps at some time, they were same. Please be warned that there may be a lot of chauvinism in the following two searches, but would like members' views on this.
https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl&pli=1#newwindow=1&q="magi+brahmins"
https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl&pli=1#newwindow=1&q="maghi+brahmins"
i love it when they say they ruled over us but toay they are following our religion. no wonder we 2% Brahmins ruled over these idiots for 5,000+ years :D

Vedic

Parsi faith has a lot of Hindu influence but originally Mazdayasna is monotheistic.
hmm... thanks for your reply. not going to lie but your god is cooler thwm mine
Farvahar001.JPG

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
i love it when they say they ruled over us but today they are following our religion. no wonder we 2% Brahmins ruled over these idiots for 5,000+ years :D
I do not know what are you referring to and why have you selected my post to vent your views. Who is following whose religion? Who are these whom you refer to as idiots? We had a bad experience of being ruled over by other people for thousand years, why should anyone feel proud of ruling over other people for 5,000+ years? And brahmins were not created in my society to rule over other people. I find your post very surprising to say the least.
hmm... thanks for your reply. not going to lie but your god is cooler than mine.
Please know that this is a blue DIR, and according to the Forum rules, people of other religions can post here only with respect to the religion of the Forum. Most people consider their Gods or Goddesses to be cooler than those of others. What is strange about that?

Last edited:

Corthos

Great Old One
hmm... thanks for your reply. not going to lie but your god is cooler thwm mine
Farvahar001.JPG

Think of the Faravahar as more of a Christian's Cross. It is a symbol of the Good Religion, but it isn't an actual depiction of it's god. =)

As for the meaning of the symbol, different people have different ideas on what the symbolism is. Here is one. =)

http://www.zarathushtra.com/z/article/fravahar.htm

Edit: Whoops! Nevermind, you already know. XD

Vedic

Think of the Faravahar as more of a Christian's Cross. It is a symbol of the Good Religion, but it isn't an actual depiction of it's god. =)

As for the meaning of the symbol, different people have different ideas on what the symbolism is. Here is one. =)

http://www.zarathushtra.com/z/article/fravahar.htm

Edit: Whoops! Nevermind, you already know. XD
Gujarati Avatar ? :eek:
It is a symbol of the Good Religion, but it isn't an actual depiction of it's god. =)
so it's like Fire, Swastika and om of Vedic religion ? (not Idol)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I heard about it in my history class at school, went home and did research on it and then I found this forum. Your posts in fact have helped me a lot :)
That's great. I didn't mean to dampen your mood on the other thread you created, it's just that non-Zoroastrians aren't really supposed to post in the Zoro D.I.R apart from respectful questions and I didn't want any potential conflict to arise.

Did you have a different faith previously?

matthew_/!/

That's great. I didn't mean to dampen your mood on the other thread you created, it's just that non-Zoroastrians aren't really supposed to post in the Zoro D.I.R apart from respectful questions and I didn't want any potential conflict to arise.

Did you gave a different faith previously?
Ah I see, I didn't know that, rather new to RF in general. I was a christian

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Strong for a while then it went more to cultural. What were you (if you were religious) before?
Long story short, I was essentially a strong Christian for a long time and then went Zoroastrian. I briefly tried Paganism only to return to The Good Religion.