• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon! (Part Two)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Hmmmm... then as was done in this case, I guess you would have to copy the posts that you want to move, then you *could* delete them from the original thread, thus in effect moving them. I think I like the newer version(s) better ;)

OK - OT ended - carry on...

FFH

Veteran Member
comprehend said:
do I dare ask why?
Do I dare answer? I'ld like to answer but we would have to start another thread and I don't have the time or energy to do that now...It may be a few days before I get back to this...

nutshell

OK...I have a question. Harry Potter 7 comes out this year.

Is it acceptable for Mormons to read Harry Potter or not? Please support your answer with reasoning.

Bishka

Veteran Member
nutshell said:

Finally! :)

nutshell said:
Is it acceptable for Mormons to read Harry Potter or not? Please support your answer with reasoning.

Why wouldn't it be? IT is a story and we are told in Doctrine and Covenants 90:15 to "...become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people."

If there was really a problem with the book, they wouldn't sell it at a Church-owned bookstore (Deseret Book).

:D

FFH

Veteran Member
beckysoup61 said:
If there was really a problem with the book, they wouldn't sell it at a Church-owned bookstore (Deseret Book).

:D
They're not church owned but are privately owned....Sheri Dew the president of Deseret Book makes the decision to sell or not sell any certain book, CD, DVD, etc. I've been meaning to ask her why she chose to sell harry Potter books, which are not Christian and that definitely is a Christian book store.....

The LDS church uses Deseret Book to distribute their stuff, but do not make decisions about whether to sell or not sell any other materials, this is strictly up to Sheri Dew and her board of directors and investors/franchisees.

Bishka

Veteran Member
FFH said:
They're not church owned but are privately owned....

Actually, if you look on wikipedia and other sources, it states that it is basically owned by the LDS Church.

wikipedia said:
Owned wholly by Deseret Management Corporation, which is owned by the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the LDS Church), Deseret Book is managed independently, but distributes uplifting media in accord with church doctrine. As a publisher, Deseret Book publishes under four imprints with media ranging from doctrine and LDS fiction books, to electronic resources and sound recordings such as Mormon Tabernacle Choir albums.

link here

It is managed independently, but wholly owened by the DMC which is owned by the LDS Church.

FFH said:
Sheri Dew the president of Deseret Book makes the decision to sell or not sell any certain book, CD, DVD, etc. I've been meaning to ask her why she chose to sell harry Potter books, which are not Christian and that definitely is a Christian book store......

Sheri Dew has a wonderful head on her shoulders and I commend her for EVERY book sold in Deseret Book. She certainly knows what she is doing and she is promoting "good books" as the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants says.

FFH said:
The LDS church uses Deseret Book to distribute their stuff, but do not make decisions about whether to sell or not sell any other materials, this is strictly up to Sheri Dew and her board of directors and investors/franchisees.

See above link to wikipedia article

That's enough on this, since Nutshell is technically LDS and this thread is technically for non-LDS to ask questions. IF you'd like to start another thread about the 'evils of Harry Potter', be my guest.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
nutshell said:

Of course. Why would it not be acceptable to read Harry Potter books? Anything that one might say against Harry Potter could also be said of LOTR or Star Wars or The Republic (Plato's).

Could somebody tell me what is so objectionable about Harry Potter?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
comprehend said:
Of course. Why would it not be acceptable to read Harry Potter books? Anything that one might say against Harry Potter could also be said of LOTR or Star Wars or The Republic (Plato's).

Could somebody tell me what is so objectionable about Harry Potter?

Oh well, you know how evil magic and witchcraft is by itself, now picture someone preforming spells! :cover: :areyoucra

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Gentoo said:
Oh well, you know how evil magic and witchcraft is by itself, now picture someone preforming spells! :cover: :areyoucra

honestly... I will have to suggest Harry Potter for the next LDS book burning session, we really should be more closed minded when it comes to books. Spells! that might teach some of our kids to follow recipies and they might accidently cook something!

It reminds me of that nasty Gandalf the wizard in LOTR, always doing magic this and magic that, wands and spells and fighting demons and evil wizards and talking trees, magic crystal balls. Where does it stop.

ooh. speaking of all that stuff, should we ban Halloween too? there are a lot of witches there. And Santa Claus too. or should I say SATAN claus. Easter bunnies on easter? that is pagan animal worship!

And then there is all of the evil I am teaching my daughter with things like Sleeping Beauty (with 3 magical spell casting fairies), Cinderella and a magical spell casting fairy godmother, etc etc.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
comprehend said:
honestly... I will have to suggest Harry Potter for the next LDS book burning session, we really should be more closed minded when it comes to books. Spells! that might teach some of our kids to follow recipies and they might accidently cook something!

It reminds me of that nasty Gandalf the wizard in LOTR, always doing magic this and magic that, wands and spells and fighting demons and evil wizards and talking trees, magic crystal balls. Where does it stop.

ooh. speaking of all that stuff, should we ban Halloween too? there are a lot of witches there. And Santa Claus too. or should I say SATAN claus. Easter bunnies on easter? that is pagan animal worship!

And then there is all of the evil I am teaching my daughter with things like Sleeping Beauty (with 3 magical spell casting fairies), Cinderella and a magical spell casting fairy godmother, etc etc.

Actually I've heard of some people banning Halloween because it's *ahem Pagan in origins. :areyoucra So is practically every other holiday! [/tangent]

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
*sigh* I've seen it a hundred times... kid watches Cinderella, next thing you know they are casting black voodoo magic, and trying to summon undead spirits... you just can't know the harm you are doing there comprehend :p

Question:
Where does the restrictions on consumables come from?

jonny

Mister Emu said:
*sigh* I've seen it a hundred times... kid watches Cinderella, next thing you know they are casting black voodoo magic, and trying to summon undead spirits... you just can't know the harm you are doing there comprehend :p

Question:

I think you're referring to the Word of Wisdom - also known as Section 89 in the Doctrine and Covenants. This is a revelation that Joseph Smith received in 1833. This wasn't mandatory at first and was simply considered a "principle with a promise." In 1851 the church voted to make the principles mandatory requirements. The exact requirements and interpretations have evolved over the last 150 years to what they are today. Unfortunately, in my opinion too much emphasis has been placed on the "don'ts" and not enough emphasis has been placed on the "dos".

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Mister Emu said:

Question:

I second what Jonny said. the Word of Wisdom is a great example of why continued revelation is so valuable.

athanasius

I was looking throught the offical website of the reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latrer day saints At http://www.cofchrist.org/ourfaith/faith-beliefs.asp and I found it very interesting. It seems(at least from initial appearance that they hold to the Trinity. 1 God in 3 persons. Hmmm I could be wrong but that is what there website seems to say. Is it possible to have Trinitarian Mormons?

Bishka

Veteran Member
athanasius said:
I was looking throught the offical website of the reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latrer day saints At http://www.cofchrist.org/ourfaith/faith-beliefs.asp and I found it very interesting. It seems(at least from initial appearance that they hold to the Trinity. 1 God in 3 persons. Hmmm I could be wrong but that is what there website seems to say. Is it possible to have Trinitarian Mormons?

They are a completley different Church then ours. They aren't Mormon by doctrine or by worship. They have changed from the original ways a long time ago. You could basically call them Trinitarian Christians.

Arabis

see me run
athanasius said:

I would say that they wouldn't be members of the LDS religion, since they don't believe one of the things in our doctrine that makes our church unique from other Christian denominations. I am not sure that they believe in the Trinity, but the RLDS or now the Community of Christ, did not start out with that belief.