• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon! (Part Two)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
athanasius said:
I was looking throught the offical website of the reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latrer day saints At http://www.cofchrist.org/ourfaith/faith-beliefs.asp and I found it very interesting. It seems(at least from initial appearance that they hold to the Trinity. 1 God in 3 persons. Hmmm I could be wrong but that is what there website seems to say. Is it possible to have Trinitarian Mormons?

The RLDS church was in a bad spot financially a few years back. In order to save their church they merged with another. In doing so they agreed to renounce most of their old LDS'ish beliefs and accepted much of the main stream christian (MSC) doctrine. Thus the name change, etc. The RLDS has essentially become a regular MSC church so I wouldn't really say they are trinitarian mormons but I guess it is all in how you look at them.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
AH! I finally have another question! :clap

Have any of the LDS here ever deviated in their lifetime to explore other religions? In other words, considered yourself to no longer be LDS? If so, what brought you back?

Hope that wasn't too personal a question :)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Gentoo said:

Have any of the LDS here ever deviated in their lifetime to explore other religions? In other words, considered yourself to no longer be LDS? If so, what brought you back?

not I said the 7th generation mormon. :shrug: (but I am sure somebody has)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Gentoo said:

*Waves*

Me! During my teenager years (for about 5-6 years), I no longer considered myself to be a Mormon. I renounced my beliefs and told my parents that I know longer believed the story that Joseph Smith told of his vision.

I first explored other Christians sects and religions (Lutheranism, Catholicism and Celtic Christianity). From Celtic Christianity I went on to various Pagan paths, Shintoism, Jainism and Hinduism. Islam was there for a bit, but I was highly turned off by what I learned. From Shintoism I went and studied Buddhism for awhile, which became a main focus in my life. There was actually point that I considered myself a Buddhist Wiccan Mormon (how, I don't know).

I still felt like something was missing and that my questions weren't being answered. Eventually I went on something called a Pioneer Trek (a reenactment of the original pioneers). This was a grueling 3-day long trek, that was VERY authentic. It was on this that I found myself, had my questions answered (well most of them) and gained my testimony back.

Hope that helps. :)
</IMG></IMG>

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
beckysoup61 said:
*Waves*

Me! During my teenager years (for about 5-6 years), I no longer considered myself to be a Mormon. I renounced my beliefs and told my parents that I know longer believed the story that Joseph Smith told of his vision.

I first explored other Christians sects and religions (Lutheranism, Catholicism and Celtic Christianity). From Celtic Christianity I went on to various Pagan paths, Shintoism, Jainism and Hinduism. Islam was there for a bit, but I was highly turned off by what I learned. From Shintoism I went and studied Buddhism for awhile, which became a main focus in my life. There was actually point that I considered myself a Buddhist Wiccan Mormon (how, I don't know).

I still felt like something was missing and that my questions weren't being answered. Eventually I went on something called a Pioneer Trek (a reenactment of the original pioneers). This was a grueling 3-day long trek, that was VERY authentic. It was on this that I found myself, had my questions answered (well most of them) and gained my testimony back.

Hope that helps. :)
</IMG></IMG>

Thanks! That is interesting, I love to hear about other people's religious journey's and how they arrived to where they are. I am a little curious as to how one can be a Buddist Wiccan Mormon... I'll have to think on that.

jonny

Gentoo said:

I haven't, but there have been times where I was more committed than others.

athanasius

Arabis said:
I would say that they wouldn't be members of the LDS religion, since they don't believe one of the things in our doctrine that makes our church unique from other Christian denominations. I am not sure that they believe in the Trinity, but the RLDS or now the Community of Christ, did not start out with that belief.

They do believe in other things that separate them from all other christians worldwide, Namely they believe in the book of Mormon as another testament of Jesus Christ, and they believe in the Doctrine and covenants(I think). So believing in the book of Mormon and Joseph Smith as a Prophet, really sets them and their beliefs against the beliefs of mainstream Christianity. Sounds more like mormonism to me than orthodox Christianity? Perhaps a reformed version of a mormon? Perhaps they would say that you were not real mormons? Who knows?

I just found it interesting. I guess they do not really parrellel the Catholics and protestants because the Catholic Church recognizes the protestants as valid Chrstians and we all go by the same book(The bible) and same basic Christology although they merely limit it to that. I do not think I would call the reorganized Church fo Jesus Christ of Latter day saints total Orhtodox trinitarian Christians either becuase they believe in a book that no orthodox mainstream Christian denomination accepts. Namely the book of Mormon. So I do not know what to do with them. Perhaps they are more like the Eastern orthodox version of Mormons. You both agree on Joseph smith and the book of mormon and the doctrine and covenants but they dissagree on the other books and certain successions within your prophets. Yeah sounds more like a schizmatic Mormon sect to me. Only We Catholics do also consider and recognize our othrodox brothers to be actually historic Christians holding to the real and actual Bishopric and Priestly powers. We view them as having valid succession and clergy. I am not sure if you would view the Reformed Mormons as the same?

Arabis

see me run
athanasius said:
They do believe in other things that separate them from all other christians worldwide, Namely they believe in the book of Mormon as another testament of Jesus Christ, and they believe in the Doctrine and covenants(I think). So believing in the book of Mormon and Joseph Smith as a Prophet, really sets them and their beliefs against the beliefs of mainstream Christianity. Sounds more like mormonism to me than orthodox Christianity? Perhaps a reformed version of a mormon? Perhaps they would say that you were not real mormons? Who knows?

I just found it interesting. I guess they do not really parrellel the Catholics and protestants because the Catholic Church recognizes the protestants as valid Chrstians and we all go by the same book(The bible) and same basic Christology although they merely limit it to that. I do not think I would call the reorganized Church fo Jesus Christ of Latter day saints total Orhtodox trinitarian Christians either becuase they believe in a book that no orthodox mainstream Christian denomination accepts. Namely the book of Mormon. So I do not know what to do with them. Perhaps they are more like the Eastern orthodox version of Mormons. You both agree on Joseph smith and the book of mormon and the doctrine and covenants but they dissagree on the other books and certain successions within your prophets. Yeah sounds more like a schizmatic Mormon sect to me. Only We Catholics do also consider and recognize our othrodox brothers to be actually historic Christians holding to the real and actual Bishopric and Priestly powers. We view them as having valid succession and clergy. I am not sure if you would view the Reformed Mormons as the same?

They might not know what to do with themselves. My mom worked with a woman that was RLDS, while she was investigating the LDS church. She would always tell my mom awful things about the mormons and how she would never want to be associated with them. Just from her comments, mostly nothing nice, my mom was more drawn to the LDS church. But that is just one example, I have never had any experiance myself.

The things with calling it a mormon sect is that we don't really have those, I'm sure someone else can explain it better. There are groups that have broken away from our church, but they really don't want to be associated with us at all, nor us with them. They usually break away because they think that God has a better leader or prophet for them and ours has become a false prophet. Like I said though, someone else might have a better answer for you.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
athanasius said:
The issue gets back to authority, just as it does with Protestantism. Regardless of the doctrines, the matter of authority will always be paramount. Protestants could (and I suppose some do) say that they belong to the Church Christ established and that they -- not you -- are the "real" Christians.

Only We Catholics do also consider and recognize our othrodox brothers to be actually historic Christians holding to the real and actual Bishopric and Priestly powers. We view them as having valid succession and clergy. I am not sure if you would view the Reformed Mormons as the same?
But they don't recognize the Papacy, just as the offshoots of Mormonism don't recognize our Prophet.

FFH

Veteran Member
Gentoo said:
I have never attended any other religious meeting other than LDS, other than a Catholic mass one time, just to see what went on there. It's interesting because I ended up marrying a Catholic from Mass., who converted/joined the LDS church. We are both committed and dedicated to our religion/LDS church.

Not at all RLDS like some might assume....but am a mainstream LDS member who has recognized, from the time I was a small child, with very little, if any, influence by others, that the fullness of Jesus Christ's gospel had been restored..

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
*** MOD POST ***
Reminder to all -- myself included: These last few posts are inappropriate on a DIR forum. Let's resume where we left off before this turned into a debate...

FFH

Veteran Member
Athanasius, I just want to say I was impressed with the Catholic mass I attended. Jesus Christ's name was mentioned at least 10 times, he was the center or focus of the meeting and I was very impressed. This was a Catholic church on the east side of Salt Lake, a very nice area...I was very surprised at the spirituality of the meeting....Katzpur probably knows the very building I'm talking about just off of 2100 S and 2300 E. I was inpressed with the service held there in which Jesus Chirst was at the center of the message given there...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
beckysoup61 said:
The Cathedral of the Madaeline?
No, that's downtown. I forget the name of the one FFH is referring to, even though I can picture it. It's not a cathedral, just a church. I've never been inside it.

FFH

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
No, that's downtown. I forget the name of the one FFH is referring to, even though I can picture it. It's not a cathedral, just a church. I've never been inside it.
Yeah, I grew up there and passed by that church every day practically, but can't remember the name of it. It was only after some coaxing from a friend that I gingerly and nervously went and checked it out when I was in my first year of college...

DavyCrocket2003

I had a really cool opportunity to sing at a Catholic mass when our choir went on tour to San Fransisco. It was really cool. The bishop had recently been transferred from the Salt Lake area. It was durring Lent so we had to cut out the parts of our songs that had alleluia in them. I wasn't very aware of a lot that went on or the symbolysm of it but I thought it was really neat. I was inspired by the message and I left the meeting uplifted. It was really awesome to worship with people of a different faith and to see that although our beliefs have some differences, at heart we are trully brothers and sisters seeking to follow the Saviour and to see that we can learn from each other and share a spirit of love and companionship despite our differences. I loved it.

FFH

Veteran Member
Davy said:
I was inspired by the message and I left the meeting uplifted. It was really awesome to worship with people of a different faith and to see that although our beliefs have some differences, at heart we are trully brothers and sisters seeking to follow the Saviour and to see that we can learn from each other and share a spirit of love and companionship despite our differences.
I agree, very well said...

Searching

How much money is being spent on building new temples each year?

How much has been spent in, say, the last 10 years?