• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon! (Part Two)

Bishka

Veteran Member
This is an extended thread of the other one that needed to be closed. In this thread I will do my best to answer questions in a polite and honest way. I encourage everyone to be respectful and kind. :)

Ask away!

Edit: Please rememer to be respectful. :)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
beckysoup61 said:
This is an extended thread of the other one that needed to be closed. In this thread I will do my best to answer questions in a polite and honest way. I encourage everyone to be respectful and kind. :)

Ask away!

Hi becky!

I was wondering. Are all you mormons from Idaho just like Napoleon Dynamite or is that just a myth? I mean, do you have moon boots?

Bishka

Veteran Member
comprehend said:
Hi becky!

I was wondering. Are all you mormons from Idaho just like Napoleon Dynamite or is that just a myth? I mean, do you have moon boots?

You would be suprised how many people act like that.....I'm not originally from Idaho, so I can't really say. :)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
beckysoup61 said:
You would be suprised how many people act like that.....I'm not originally from Idaho, so I can't really say. :)

No I wouldn't. I just had to spend Christmas in Gooding Idaho. It was SWEET!

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Phototaker said:
did you know that you are also begotten of the father?

Is this an accurate protrayal of LDS beliefs?

If so, how do you interpret John 3:16?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Mister Emu said:
Phototaker said:

No. We believe that Jesus was the only Begotten Son of God just like the scripture says.

see LDS scriptures: 2Ne. 25:12; Jac.4:5,11; Alma 5:48; 9:26; 12:33-34; 13:5,9; D&C 20:21; 29:42, etc etc. at www.scriptures.lds.org

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mister Emu said:
Hi, Mister Emu.

Yes, this is an accurate portral of LDS beliefs -- if understood correctly. We believe that we are all not only God's creations, but His offspring. We believe that He is the literal Father of our spirits. Two biblical passages which teach this are:

Hebrews 12:9 "Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?"

Acts 17:28-29 "For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

We believe that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of the Father in the flesh. While we are spiritual begotten of the Father, God has only one Son of whom He is the physical parent. According to LDS doctrine, the relationship between the Father and the Son is a literal one. God was literally the Father of Jesus Christ, just as Mary was literally the mother of Jesus Christ. Although Jesus was miraculously conceived, He was the Son of the Father and not just another manifestation of the same divine being.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
In regards to monotheism vs. polytheism, how do the LDS view themselves?

In my understanding, three divine beings making up a Godhead(?), it seems like polytheism, but I would like your take on it.(I am pretty sure I ahve asked this before, but can't remeber the answer)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Mister Emu said:

In my understanding, three divine beings making up a Godhead(?), it seems like polytheism, but I would like your take on it.(I am pretty sure I ahve asked this before, but can't remeber the answer)

We see ourselves as monotheistic.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mister Emu said:
We regard ourselves as monotheistic. The Book of Mormon clearly states this fact:

"And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end." (2 Nephi 31:21)

"And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name; for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one." (3 Nephi 11:27)

"And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end." (Mormon 7:7)

The difference between our doctrine of the Godhead and the traditional trinitarian view is that we interpret the word "one" as meaning "united in will and purpose" as opposed to "united in substance." It would be impossible to convey the absolute perfection of their unity. They think, feel and act as one. They also share the title of "God." But they are physically distinct from one another.

I can see why you would see it that way. Personally, I think it's a matter of how we all define the terms "monothestic" and "polytheistic." Most Muslims, for instance, will insist that all Christians are polytheistic, and that Mormons are no more polytheistic than the rest. Hopefully this answers your question.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mister Emu said:
Thank you for both responses.
And don't you just love it when you get two different answers? ;) Did we explain ourselves in such a way that you could understand why Comprehend said, "No, this is not an accurate portrayal," and I said, "Yes, this is an accurate portrayal."? Or did we just leave you wondering which of us was right?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Or did we just leave you wondering which of us was right?
Do I have to answer lol ;)

I assumed by his asking about John 3:16 that he was referring to physical "begetting".
I wasn't ;)

Don't all Christians believe God is our spiritual Father?
I do not believe I am begotten of God. God created me, he begot Jesus.

Once again, thanks for your help. :) If any more questions come to mind I will bring them right here :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
comprehend said:
I assumed by his asking about John 3:16 that he was referring to physical "begetting". Don't all Christians believe God is our spiritual Father?
I'm not so sure they do. I frequently hear them describe us as His "creations" (which, of course, we are), but I believe that the concept that He is the Father of our spirits ties in very closely to the doctrine of the Pre-existence and the idea that He knew us and we knew Him before we entered mortality.

I like to keep the term "begotten" for Christ and use "Spirit Children" just to keep things clear. If we go around saying that we are begotten children like Jesus is, that can only give people the wrong impression. IMHO.
I agree, that's probably the safest way to address such questions -- which is why I made it a point to mention the fact that it's only accurate to say that we are begotten of the Father if we clarify that we are speaking of our spiritual relationship to Him. I definitely wouldn't want to have implied that we are "begotten children like Jesus is," because we most certainly aren't!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mister Emu said:
Do I have to answer lol
I guess not, but you did anyway, didn't you? :D

I do not believe I am begotten of God. God created me, he begot Jesus.
As Comprehend explained, we would agree with you that Jesus was unique among all who have ever lived -- hence the biblical reference to Him as God's "only begotten Son." I would assume however, that you do believe the scriptures I posted, which state that God is the Father of our spirits and that we are His offspring. If you wouldn't mind, I would really appreciate your explaining what you believe these scriptures actually mean, particularly in light of the fact that you have described us as His "creations." I'm not trying to turn this into a debate. I'd just like to see how your interpretation of these verses (Hebrews 12:9 and Acts 17:28-29) differs from ours.

Once again, thanks for your help. :) If any more questions come to mind I will bring them right here :D
You're welcome. We're always here to confuse! :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Maybe what I'm asking, Mister Emu, is how you would define the words "create" and "beget." What do you see as differentiating them?

Bishka

Veteran Member
*waves*

Guys, if we want to discuss, PLEASE do it in a separate thread. This is for non-members to ask questions. If we have a disagreement or different opinions on doctrine, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE discuss it somewhere else. I'd really like this thread to stay nice and simple.

Thanks! :)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess not, but you kind of did, didn't you?
Guess I did. ;) :p

I will get back to you on my understanding of the verses in question. I will have to read them in context, read commentaries as to how the ECFs viewed them, look at the greek/hebrew, and most importantly pray

You're welcome. We're always here to confuse!
Well thats good news. Confusion is one of my greatest desires :p :D