• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we equal?

Leo613

People say we're all equal because we're created in God's emage.

People also say we're all different.

how can we be equal and different?

rusra02

Premium Member

I believe we are all equal before God, who is not partial. Our differences make for delightful variety. But God does not favor one race or nationality over another. ( Acts 10:34,35)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Its like the old riddle

Which is heavier a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks.

They are equal in weight but different in everything else.

We are equal in potential but different in everything else.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
People are certainly not equal -- either in the realization of their potential, or in their potential itself. A person born mentally handicapped has no where near the intellectual potential as a person born without handicaps, or born with superior intelligence, for instance. But people are (or at least ought to be) equal before the law in recognition of their common humanity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

We are all equal because we are one humanity, are in the same "play pin", living the same life. No one person is the center of the universe. No one person is an alien.

We are different because we are raised different, different beliefs (hence god is not in this answer/equation), different values, and goals (and so on and so forth).

We are equal because we are all on the same playing field. We are different (which isn't the opposite of equal) because we play different roles etc on the field. Some people's goals is not to "win the game" while others feel once they "win" they will get a reward. Some feel playing the game is what we should focus on while others feel getting the metal is the key. While some people play without caring either way.

That's how we different. We can't be equal and unequal at the same time. I don't see how we can be unequal. We are all human.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

A one dollar coin and a one dollar bill are of a different shape, size, and material from one another, so how could they be equal?

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
Simply put, we are not all equal. Nature is a very hard thing to accept as it is very unforgiving.

Equality is a very abstract idea that often does not mesh well with reality.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Actually I believe people say we are created equal. It's up to you what you do with the difference.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Equal does not necessarily mean identical. Maybe it's equal but different.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually I believe people say we are created equal. It's up to you what you do with the difference.
I'm equal, but more so than you....ya miserable Darla lose'n, cowlick sport'n, child thespian!
There is no transitive property in this kind of "equal".

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
People are certainly not equal -- either in the realization of their potential, or in their potential itself. A person born mentally handicapped has no where near the intellectual potential as a person born without handicaps, or born with superior intelligence, for instance. But people are (or at least ought to be) equal before the law in recognition of their common humanity.

I disagree, you are measuring intelligence wrong and wrongly judging the potential of another human(no matter how challenged). There are far more disabled, sick, challenged humans on this earth that have achieved far more than me and I would bet you but I, you and they still have potential.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Different definitely doesn't mean one must be better or greater than another. It all depends on what criteria matters most to you. All the sameness, equal potential, etc. stuff isn't valid in my eyes but it's a personal issue people have to work out for themselves. If it makes a person a kinder and happier person to heavily discount the big variations in humans, then maybe they should. It doesn't need be a force-fed gospel though.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
People are way too pathetic to put limits on every thing. Similarly, their ego speaks of them being something special and different.
I believe all animals and plants are part of God and is immortal.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'm equal, but more so than you....ya miserable Darla lose'n, cowlick sport'n, child thespian!
There is no transitive property in this kind of "equal".

No argument here. It is very liberating to know one's place in the great scheme of things, all things being equal that is.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
See, not everyone is even born equal because of many possible variables, such as drug use while pregnant. The playing field should theoretically be equal at birth, but immediately things start to change. My philosophy is that everyone starts neutral in my eyes, and you let their thoughts and actions speak for them .

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

Within what context are we evaluating equality?

If we're evaluating equality in terms of means or ability - no, we're certainly not all equal.

If we're evaluating equality within the context of who we are as per God - we're still not necessarily equal, but, were told that God loves us all. We were instructed to love each other. We are deserving of equality in terms of being treated with dignity and a a basic sort of respect. Of course, our actions determine the degree of respect that we are owed by fellow man.

roger1440

I do stuff

We all equal in that we are all born with the same inalienable rights. This sameness goes across the board of all sorts of people, meaning all people are not the same. blacks and whites; man and women; old and young