1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Are there Two Creation Events in Genesis?

Discussion in 'Scriptural Debates' started by jhwatts, Sep 10, 2017.

1. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,127
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    My post simply presented a third view regardless of what I believe.

2. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,127
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    True, but I consider them two views likely recorded for reasons of comparison, because the compiler and editor who finally compiled them considered them from two reliable sources that he would not make the judgment as to which was the correct version, but considered them comparable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidFirth

DavidFirth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,322
    Religion:
    Christian
    You're over thinking it. ;)

4. jhwatts

jhwatts Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I disagree, there are many difference s in both creation accounts. A simple example is in Genesis 1 they are told they can eat of any tree they want while in Genesis 2 they are told not to eat of the tree of knowledge. That's because these are two different creations. There are many differences.

5. Mister Silver

Mister Silver Faith's Nightmare

Ratings:
    +1,602
    Religion:
    Infidel Savant
    I cannot imagine any harm being done from overthinking. Under-thinking, on the other hand....

• Like Like x 1
  6. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +16,318
    Religion:
    None
    That, or both stories were too well known to leave either one out.
    Tom

7. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,127
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Similar reason as I gave.

8. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +16,318
    Religion:
    None
    I think it's modern people who over think what are really just primitive stories by ignorant people.
    They don't have nearly as much meaning as people invent and ascribe to them.
    Tom

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +23,720
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Exactly. There are two, different, creation *stories*. They were written by different people with different writing styles and even different vocabulary. This has long been known among Biblical scholars and simply isn't controversial. You can see some of those differences even in the name of God that is used: Elohim vs. Yahweh. The differences go throughout Genesis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +23,720
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Not if you read it carefully: there are two mutually exclusive creation stories.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +23,720
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Or you are not thinking about it enough. Given the track record, I know which way I will vote.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Grandliseur

Grandliseur Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576
    Religion:
    Pragmatic Christian
    If you used another translation with a different verb tense in 2:19, you would have your solution:
    2:19: 19 And out of the ground Jehovah Elohim had formed every animal of the field and all fowl of the heavens, and brought them to Man, to see what he would call them; and whatever Man called each living soul, that was its name. ​

Once this small and important detail is handled, the problem disappears in a puff of smoke.

Genesis chapter 1 then is seen as having its greater focus on the earth at large, the Terra-forming of the earth, its animals, even the creation of man. Chapter 2 has then the natural change of focus down to mankind - because that is what the Bible is about, the interaction of God with man and vice versa in view of satan and the fallen angels' actions..

13. jhwatts

jhwatts Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I'm interested in the order and scripture presented in my first post. God makes it clear that those left on the earth during the flood and what was on the ark, what got off the ark, and what was destroyed. The language used to describe these groups during Noah's flood is the same language used in Genesis 1 and 2 used to describe each creation. Any thoughts on these undeniable correlations?

14. jhwatts

jhwatts Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I use early English translations only for items relating to creation. This is simply to avoid inherent biases due to the evolutionary argument by modern translators.

15. Grandliseur

Grandliseur Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576
    Religion:
    Pragmatic Christian
    If you do not have this yet, there is a free software for both PCs and tablets called SWORD. This app permits a very large number of translations, English and others.

On my PC I have, Darby, ASV, and all in all about 20 various translations. It is a great program that also may contain Strong's and much more.
    At times when there is need for it, I go to Interlinear translations on the net to get either the Hebrew or the Greek word for word translation so as to make up my own mind which is the most accurate rendition.

16. jhwatts

jhwatts Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I do have it but it doesn't change the fact that by default translators make decisions about how things are translated based hot button issues of the day. For example the Geneva translation has inherant biases about the Roman Catholic church. It was the hot topic of the day. Likewise evolution is a hot button issue of today and will impact translations of today. That's way I use translations that predate the evolution argument.

17. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27,451
    Religion:
    Love
    I appreciate your post. I'm not a Christian so I don't find the Bible inerrant, but I do appreciate the problem of translation.

18. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,922
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Tee Hee. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Shiranui117

Shiranui117 Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,265
    Religion:
    Eastern Orthodox Christian
    Wait, how did St. Augustine come into this picture? Are you citing a commentary of his or something?

20. eldios

eldios Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Religion:
    Lutheran
    There was one invisible creation and everything we experience including our visible bodies come from the creation.