• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there things about religion that you, as an atheist, actively dislike?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
People do, of course, make claims for some of the benefits of religion -- and I don't mind admitting that there may well be some. I can understand how it may be comforting to have a firm belief in everlasting life, rather than having to wonder what it is like to be dead (well, it's "like" nothing, actually). Supposing that "somebody" always "has your back" must be nice, I suppose. As Josh Groban sang: "I am strong, when I am on Your shoulders..." Whether he is, in fact, any stronger than the atheist around the corner, of course, cannot be answered.

But is there anything about religion (in general, not one in particular) that you find that you, as an atheist, actively dislike?

I have to confess, there are several things that fall into that category for me. I plan to post several times in this thread, rather than try to do an exhaustive, up-front list. I hope other atheists will contribute, as well.

I think the thing I dislike most (in the present day) is the fact that religion really does appear to discourage learning in some areas, while at the same time encouraging credulity in others. I do not think that this is healthy for us. The problems that we must solve are hard -- and are going to get harder. If we refuse to accept some areas of science (evolution, human-caused climate change, etc.) then we may be at a severe disadvantage when trying to solve some of those problems. And holding to a belief that getting on your knees and praying will make it all better may well lead to terrible consequences.

Another pet peeve is that I see a lot of evidence of religion discouraging the celebration of diversity -- which to me is a core human strength. Children are taught early in life that people of other faiths (or no faith) should really better be avoided. (I remember a program on CNN quite a few years ago with Christiane Amanpour, interviewing a girl of about 9 in the US south, who, when asked about the non-Christian children in her school, replied with chilling nonchalance, "Oh, they go to Hell," before returning immediately and placidly to her homework.) And of course, we can't forget how the great religions all disparage the gay communities (can't be bothered with a long string of letters starting with LG.....) To me, it is our diversity that allows us to work together to find new answers to intractable problems.

I shall write more, but hope to hear from others...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I heartily dislike the idea that prayers can change god's mind. What I mean is, we are supposedly chatting to a being that knows all and yet we seek to influence its thinking with our own 2 cents. Like the idea of praying for the poor. In theory, god is already well aware of the miserable conditions of the poor and chooses to do little, if not nothing, to better their situation. I suppose there is a minor psychological effect though in that the believer can pat themselves on the back thinking they have done something, by going to bat for the little guy who isn't able to rise above their own condition.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
People do, of course, make claims for some of the benefits of religion -- and I don't mind admitting that there may well be some. I can understand how it may be comforting to have a firm belief in everlasting life, rather than having to wonder what it is like to be dead (well, it's "like" nothing, actually). Supposing that "somebody" always "has your back" must be nice, I suppose. As Josh Groban sang: "I am strong, when I am on Your shoulders..." Whether he is, in fact, any stronger than the atheist around the corner, of course, cannot be answered.

But is there anything about religion (in general, not one in particular) that you find that you, as an atheist, actively dislike?

I have to confess, there are several things that fall into that category for me. I plan to post several times in this thread, rather than try to do an exhaustive, up-front list. I hope other atheists will contribute, as well.

I think the thing I dislike most (in the present day) is the fact that religion really does appear to discourage learning in some areas, while at the same time encouraging credulity in others. I do not think that this is healthy for us. The problems that we must solve are hard -- and are going to get harder. If we refuse to accept some areas of science (evolution, human-caused climate change, etc.) then we may be at a severe disadvantage when trying to solve some of those problems. And holding to a belief that getting on your knees and praying will make it all better may well lead to terrible consequences.

Another pet peeve is that I see a lot of evidence of religion discouraging the celebration of diversity -- which to me is a core human strength. Children are taught early in life that people of other faiths (or no faith) should really better be avoided. (I remember a program on CNN quite a few years ago with Christiane Amanpour, interviewing a girl of about 9 in the US south, who, when asked about the non-Christian children in her school, replied with chilling nonchalance, "Oh, they go to Hell," before returning immediately and placidly to her homework.) And of course, we can't forget how the great religions all disparage the gay communities (can't be bothered with a long string of letters starting with LG.....) To me, it is our diversity that allows us to work together to find new answers to intractable problems.

I don't have issues with religion. I have a religion; so, I hate being stereotyped into the "religions is bad" perspective. What I dislike with people who practice some religions I'm familiar with is evanalization. I don't agree with physically going out in the street to protest against someone else's morals. I also don't agree with political influence over both religions I have practiced.

I have a more pet peeve with people who abuse religion not the religion itself.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Another thing that I truly dislike about religion (in this case, any particular religion) is that they persistently and continually disparage all other beliefs, and make active -- very often extremely destructive -- efforts to replace the beliefs of others with their own. This is, of course, a kind of cultural genocide -- and if it were not being done by religious missionaries would be subject to prosecution in many courts (local, national and international) for "crimes against humanity." Because it considered religious missionary work, of course, the usual rules don't apply.

The work in my own nation (Canada) to try and take the children of indigenous peoples away from their families and rear them in religiously-managed "residential schools" -- all in an effort to "get the Indian out of the child" -- should be instructive. And should be seen for what it was -- a very real, very religiously-motivated, effort at cultural genocide.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Most people are still religious, and most of them don't make a big deal out of it. That's awesome.

The people who bug me are the ones who pretend to know what they can't know and want to jam their pretend beliefs into the commons.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Nothing that is universal, but sure, there are some disastrous defects that are usually attributed to religion.

- Afterlife concerns.
- Glorification of scripture and of belief for belief's sake.
- Theocentrism.
- Superstition and dogma.
- Pride badly disguised as "submission to god's will".

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Little that I have a problem with is tied directly to religion, as that's such a huge topic. However, many religious individuals fall prey to appeals to antiquity and tradition, then use religious doctrine to maintain it. It's the idea that because something is older then it's more valuable. This can be with traditional ceremony(value of traditional weddings), traditional laws(especially towards women and minorities), ancient medicines ("ancient Chinese secret"), outlooks on history (religious observance contributed x unrelated thing because y person was part of z religion.) and even diet. (Aka paleo diet is healthy because it's what cavemen ate. Therefore that is what we are supposed to eat.)

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member

Why just atheists?.Although they probably cover some of my complaints..this is clearly a religious intollerance post.!!!

People who make a big point of publicly flaunting their religiosity, often by demonising a minority group, yet clearly violate tenets of their faith at the same time (corruption, having affairs, avarice, etc.).

Another thing that I truly dislike about religion (in this case, any particular religion) is that they persistently and continually disparage all other beliefs, and make active -- very often extremely destructive -- efforts to replace the beliefs of others with their own.

To play devil's advocate, couldn't many of those who hold a scientific-materialist worldview be accused of exactly the same?

Shad

Veteran Member
The treatment of religious hierarchies and doctrinal acceptance as academic truth. For example literalists that dictate multiple fields from geology to archaeology are all wrong due to contradicting their interpretation. Like Ken Ham

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why just atheists?.Although they probably cover some of my complaints..this is clearly a religious intollerance post.!!!
Is it? I don't think so.

People do have a right to disapprove of elements of religion, or even of entire religions.

If that is intollerance, maybe you can tell us a bit about why that is wrong?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why "intolerant?" There are things that I dislike in many categories, and I am not ashamed to speak of them. There are things I don't like about my government, but I'm not anti-government -- I just think dialogue may help mend those things.

David T

Premium Member
Is it? I don't think so.

People do have a right to disapprove of elements of religion, or even of entire religions.

If that is intollerance, maybe you can tell us a bit about why that is wrong?
ok it wasn't funny although prosody is extremely difficult to convey in writing. A bit like reading lyrics sometimes trying to guess the melody.

David T

Premium Member
Why "intolerant?" There are things that I dislike in many categories, and I am not ashamed to speak of them. There are things I don't like about my government, but I'm not anti-government -- I just think dialogue may help mend those things.
It was humor that clearly didn't translate. Which btw prosody is a facinating thing!!! Imagine a song, you have the lyrics to it but you don't have the instrumentalism. What's the statistical likelihood of recreating the instrumentalist part from just reading the lyrics? Kind of simuliar to the varieties of views on the bible interestingly enough.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Adults can believe whatever they want, after all I believe that The Fall are the most important band ever.

But what adults should not try to do is impose those beliefs on others.
So, you can believe that same sex marriage/relationships are bad, but don't pass laws stopping non-religious (or religious) people behaving otherwise.
You can believe that the world is 6000 year old but do not try to indoctrinate children with your belief. By all means give lectures to adults about your belief BUT do not lie to children. Evolution dictates that children listen and learn from their elders ( otherwise you will be killed by the first poisonous snake you encounter) so children are vulnerable to the lies of adults

A Vestigial Mote

I dislike the exclusivity that is, I believe (of course) based on completely false pretense. You could, quite literally, attend services for a particular religions and get yourself in good standing with some of the crowd, become friends, etc. - not informing anyone that you are atheist. However, the moment you are do tell them, you've suddenly (miraculously!) become something "different" - possibly not even friend-worthy.

If anything, it is a proof that even the valid adherents to religions where this sort of exclusivity exists aren't truly friends with one another. They are pretend friends, and only as long as they all pretend the same things.