• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there questions God doesn't want you to ask?

ecco

Veteran Member
Are there questions God doesn't want you to ask?

Or Gods
Pink Floyd
The Division Bell
Keep Talking

There's a silence surrounding me
I can't seem to think straight
I sit in the corner
And no one can bother me
I think I should speak now (why won't you talk to me?)
I can't seem to speak now (you never talk to me)
My words won't come out right (what are you thinking?)
I feel like I'm drowning (what are you feeling?)
I'm feeling weak now (why won't you talk to me?)
But I can't show my weakness (you never talk to me)
I sometimes wonder (what are you thinking?)
Where do we go from here (what are you feeling?)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Personally I see "Free Will" as something Divine. God has "Free Will". His thought/word can materialize instantly.
Not many humans have this ability. At least I have not seen many exhibit it. Some magicians fake it though.

"Free choices" or "Free wishes" is more how I see humans being free in creating their lives.
Humans generally have not much Will Power, especially when it comes to giving up their vices;)

IMO: IF Free Will is something Divine, not something mundane THEN when we follow Free Will might be something from Him.

Humans have been given "Free Will" (God has Free Will too), so I see this as humans have been given the option to behave Divine
Very interesting! Separating Will Power from Divine Free Will.

Need to think on this one!

ppp

yes, you can change it. That is why there is an eraser.
But did He MAKE you write that specific thing? Are you a robot? No free thought?

But god created me to hold and use that eraser at a certain time and to erase a certain word and to blow the eraser rubble in a certain way.
Under your definition of God all thought were constructed by God in meticulous detail.

Incidentally, He DOESN'T fashion every thought...

2 Corinthians 10 We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ.
Piffle. We are talking about what is logically possible under your definition. Not what some sock-puppet was programmed to write.

The warped philosophies of man are not the thoughts of God.
They were all hand crafted by God when he chose to create the universe with all of those exact philsophies.

Back to the drawing board :)
Sure. I'll wait. ;) I have no choice. :tearsofjoy:

Kenny

Premium Member
If you create the entire universe, including his every impulse, thought, tendency and event. Yes.

Which eliminates free will and certainly, in the Christian understanding of what is written, hardly supported.

I would call this "Philosophies of men".

Kenny

Premium Member
You Christians never stop surprising with your denial of God's might.
I never cease to be amazed at how man's imaginations can create something that God wasn't the author of.

It appears that the only person, between the two of us, that has limited God's might, would be your philosophy.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

ppp

I never cease to be amazed at how man's imaginations can create something that God wasn't the author of.

It appears that the only person, between the two of us, that has limited God's might, would be your philosophy.
No, that would definitely be you. You claim that God is omnipotent, and when we take you at your word, you hasten to back-peddle, describing all the the things that God cannot do. It's almost like...the doctrines are of a purely human origin.

Kenny

Premium Member
But god created me to hold and use that eraser at a certain time and to erase a certain word and to blow the eraser rubble in a certain way.
Under your definition of God all thought were constructed by God in meticulous detail.

No... this is YOUR definition. When did you change the goal post?

Piffle. We are talking about what is logically possible under your definition. Not what some sock-puppet was programmed to write.

But I am defining it with my definition...

Genesis 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Notice that GOD is telling Cain there are two thoughts... Do well and you are accepted. Do your own thing and sin will grab hold of your life..

So clear to me.

They were all hand crafted by God when he chose to create the universe with all of those exact philsophies.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! As found in the book of Proverbs chapter 34!

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
No, that would definitely be you. You claim that God is omnipotent, and when we take you at your word, you hasten to back-peddle, describing all the the things that God cannot do. It's almost like...the doctrines are of a purely human origin.
Au contraire, mon ami... Again and again I have said that it is you that has limited God in the things He cannot do... like make man with his own free will. When did you flip-flop our positions?

ppp

No... this is YOUR definition. When did you change the goal post?
I am just working under the hypothetical that your claim that God is omnipotent is true.

But I am defining it with my definition...
No, your definition is that God is omnipotent.
The Genesis passage is merely God playing with his dolls. Excuse me. I mean action figures.

So clear to me.
God knew you would say that.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I really would love to see evidence of the health of people in heaven... It may even cause me to rethink
I would even start more simple with "love to see evidence of people being in heaven"

On the other hand, this mystery of uncertainty when dying, does have a certain charm

Kenny

Premium Member
I am just working under the hypothetical that your claim that God is omnipotent is true.

No, your definition is that God is omnipotent.
The Genesis passage is merely God playing with his dolls. Excuse me. I mean action figures.

God knew you would say that.
:facepalm:

If you say so.

:hugehug:

ppp

Au contraire, mon ami... Again and again I have said that it is you that has limited God in the things He cannot do... like make man with his own free will. When did you flip-flop our positions?
I did not say that he couldn't. I said that under your definition that he didn't.

So, this could go on forwever.

In your opinion, if the cause of your choice is your will, then what is the cause of your will? Or does that question assume something that you dont believe?

Piculet

To be clear, does the bible not say that God is the creator of everything?

Piculet

Here it is:
Colossians 1:16 "For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him."

Kenny

Premium Member
To be clear, does the bible not say that God is the creator of everything?
Here it is:
Colossians 1:16 "For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him."

God is the Creator of every 'THING". Choices are not "things".

God did not create "death" for God is life and death is the absence of life. Death is not a "thing"
God is truth. He did not create lies for there is no lie in Him. Satan is the author of "lies". Lies is not a "thing" - it is the absence of truth.

Did that help?