• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there questions God doesn't want you to ask?

ppp

If but by logic, if God created a creative human being... then obviously what the human being created wasn't created by God.
Only if God is not maximally powerful and knowing. If such maximal, or omni-, then all products of people are that god's responsibility.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are questions that are useless.

I'd go further. There are meaningless questions (why is a mouse when it spins?) and trick questions (when did you stop beating your wife?). There are attacks in the form of questions. Then there are silly questions (What secret conspiracy would you like to start?).

So subtracting all of those, the thread title really is "Are there meaningful questions God doesn't want you to ask?"

My answer to that question is 'no'. Seeking to learn means to ask questions as children do. To ask a question is to want to know what is true.

The question becomes useless if there is an answer but it does not change anything. A secular form of this is, for example, asking what the best way to brush one's teeth is, finding a good answer but not trying to put the answer into practice.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hypothetical (like you said): God exists
Hypothetical (I add): Reincarnation exists

Imagine the scenario that a serial rapist gets away with serial raping all the time, in this life at least.

I like justice, and I am not a fan of injustice to say the least. And I see serial raping as injustice.

I would not have 1 bad night sleep, knowing that this man reincarnates with childhood-leukemia.

Hypothetical... If reincarnation exists there are very very few children who were serial rapists in a previous life

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Only if God is not maximally powerful and knowing. If such maximal, or omni-, then all products of people are that god's responsibility.
I wouldn't agree...

If indeed He is all powerful but then you say He can't create a being that has the potential of creating things also (on their own) - then He is no longer all powerful.

What you expressed, IMV, is just a victims mentality. "The Devil made me do it" or "God made me do it". Or, "Hey judge, I know I am 45, but ".

ppp

If indeed He is all powerful but then you say He can't create a being that has the potential of creating things also (on their own) - then He is no longer all powerful.
In your version of "all powerful " can God violate the law of non-contradiction? I trust not, but I cannot be sure. If not, then you would have to go with the modern theological view that God is maximally powerful. Not all powerful.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't think so.

If but by logic, if God created a creative human being... then obviously what the human being created wasn't created by God.

If Satan if the Father of Lies then, in essence, it was Satan who created it as the father of it. Since God cannot lie and there is no lie in Him, then He didn't create it.

Does the bible say or does it not say ...

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.

I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things

Etc, etc, etc

Where does it say in the bible that satan had a hand in creating anything?

Kenny

Premium Member
I am assuming one of the 3800+ creator gods
Well... it the Christian sense - at least in my non-denominational world - there is no Leukemia in Heaven and there was no Leukemia on earth before the sin of Adam because God doesn't have sickness. As a matter of a statement, when He is in full control, there is even no dying or crying.

Jesus would say "It is the thief (Satan or the Devil) who steals, kills and destroy"... but in Jesus - there is only "Life and life in abundance".

Kenny

Premium Member
In your version of "all powerful " can God violate the law of non-contradiction? I trust not, but I cannot be sure. If not, then you would have to go with the modern theological view that God is maximally powerful. Not all powerful.

Not sure what one thing has to do with the other.

As an all-powerful God, He created man with his own free will and gave the world to mankind. Doesn't take away from His omni-potent ability is as much as, after a period of time, The Word who is now also man, will be in charge of the whole earth. He remains, all powerful.

If you say He can't do that, then you have made Him not-all powerful. A contradicting position.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Hypothetical... If reincarnation exists there are very very few children who were serial rapists in a previous life
I did not say there is a link between "serial rapist" and leukemia, but just that I think that serial rapists need to pay for it (sooner rather than later).

IF you consider "rape in marriage" THEN there are many serial rapists, even nowadays. Some get away to marry the girl or pay some money.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well... it the Christian sense - at least in my non-denominational world - there is no Leukemia in Heaven and there was no Leukemia on earth before the sin of Adam because God doesn't have sickness. As a matter of a statement, when He is in full control, there is even no dying or crying.

Jesus would say "It is the thief (Satan or the Devil) who steals, kills and destroy"... but in Jesus - there is only "Life and life in abundance".

Do you have medical records to show this claim is true?

ChristineM

Premium Member
I did not say there is a link between "serial rapist" and leukemia, but just that I think that serial rapists need to pay for it (sooner rather than later).

IF you consider "rape in marriage" THEN there are many serial rapists, even nowadays. Some get away to marry the girl or pay some money.

I understood what you said, given the hypothetical, many more would not be serial rapists.

ppp

Not sure what one thing has to do with the other.

As an all-powerful God, He created man with his own free will and gave the world to mankind. Doesn't take away from His omni-potent ability is as much as, after a period of time, The Word who is now also man, will be in charge of the whole earth. He remains, all powerful.

If you say He can't do that, then you have made Him not-all powerful. A contradicting position.
Modern Abrahamic (Jewish, Christian and muslim) theologians usually go with maximally powerful because omnipotence contradicts itself and leads to irrational conclusions. If you care, it is easy enough to google. If you don't care, dont worry about it. I acknowledge that you go with the all powerful definition.

If God is all powerful, then he had a choice of which universe he would create. And being all knowing, he intentionally chose to create the universe with all of its objects and events from start to finish . He could have chosen to create any other universe, but he intentional chose this one. Which means that he intentionally chose all of the characteristics of this universe, including that poem I wrote to Becky in the third grade. Which means that he wrote the poem. Not me.

Piculet

Hypothetical (like you said): God exists
Hypothetical (I add): Reincarnation exists

Imagine the scenario that a serial rapist gets away with serial raping all the time, in this life at least.

I like justice, and I am not a fan of injustice to say the least. And I see serial raping as injustice.

I would not have 1 bad night sleep, knowing that this man reincarnates with childhood-leukemia.
You are mean to children with cancer...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Different gods have different natures. In my experience, the vast majority don't even care about humans. As for the rest? Most of the rest don't have domains that relate to knowledge and questions so they'd be indifferent too. Only the gods that relate to inquiry would "care" (if that word is appropriate to use, which is dubious). The Spirit of Ignorance does what it must given its nature, and its nature is to not question. It's less a matter of Ignorance wanting things as doing what it must.

Piculet

If Satan if the Father of Lies then, in essence, it was Satan who created it as the father of it. Since God cannot lie and there is no lie in Him, then He didn't create it.
You can't be saying satan wasn't created by God, can you? Can you???