• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there any Muslims here that support apostasy should be punished?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have watched a few of his videos and the fact that he tries to discredit the accuracy of the Qu'ran by pointing out that an individual is misplaced in time and the fact that one of the Hadith's indicates Muhammad's plan / desire for India to become an Islamic state - clearly the man has an axe to grind with the religion - it is apparent to most anyone that wants to see that

I am no fan of Islam - and even I could spot it right away
Islaam, for some reason, has quite the ability to create axes for other people to grind it on.

On hindsight, that is hardly surprising, and does not speak in Islaam's favor. Sometimes a bad reputation turns out to be fair and deserved.

charlie sc

Their culture, their religion. Sharia means the well worn path to clean, life-giving water.

Do you support apostasy attacks in countries that aren't Muslim theocracies(e.g. uk or usa) and are done by groups or fanatics?

I'm curious if your culture and political relativistic argument extends to places where apostasy has nothing to do with the law or the vast majority of the country.

sooda

Veteran Member
Do you support apostasy attacks in countries that aren't Muslim theocracies(e.g. uk or usa) and are done by groups or fanatics?

I'm curious if your culture and political relativistic argument extends to places where apostasy has nothing to do with the law or the vast majority of the country.

What is an apostasy attack?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In Islam Apostasy is considered treason, Have you read the thread or did you just jump in? Christians don't have to be ignorant.. That's not a requirement. WHO is speaking for God?
To consider apostasy "treason" really is ignorant. Think about it for a moment -- one really cannot help what one believes. We believe based on many things, but the content of our mind is the very essence of who we are.

Now, perhaps Islam would prefer that someone who finds one day that they no longer believe in God should go along and pretend to anyway, but is that even a slightly sensible idea? After all, that person may be able to fool other Muslims, but would hardly be able to fool God, now would they?

sooda

Veteran Member
To consider apostasy "treason" really is ignorant. Think about it for a moment -- one really cannot help what one believes. We believe based on many things, but the content of our mind is the very essence of who we are.

Now, perhaps Islam would prefer that someone who finds one day that they no longer believe in God should go along and pretend to anyway, but is that even a slightly sensible idea? After all, that person may be able to fool other Muslims, but would hardly be able to fool God, now would they?

Muslims address that.. Only God can know a man's heart.

Betraying the faith and the umma is considered apostasy or treason.

I don't think its ignorant at all.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Muslims address that.. Only God can know a man's heart.

Betraying the faith and the umma is considered apostasy or treason.

I don't think its ignorant at all.
So you would find it easy enough to justify Catholics burning Protestants alive, and vice-versa? The reasoning is identical. What the heck, a good bonfire is always a party, eh?

I don't know why you can't see how silly a notion it is. Think of this bit of dialogue from Alice Through the Looking Glass, between Alice and the White Queen:

“There's no use trying,” she said: “one can't believe impossible things.” “I daresay you haven't had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member

I think equating apostasy with treason made sense back in the day, during the time of Muhammad (pbuh), when the very act of apostasy literally meant siding with the enemy in a war-like situation (the apostate would go over to the enemy's side and fight against the Muslims with them). And it might plausibly still mean that some of the time in some Muslim states embroiled in war. But I for one don't think that equation makes sense most of the time today, when becoming an apostate doesn't mean literally siding with the enemy in an actual battle scenario. It's all about context.

charlie sc

I think equating apostasy with treason made sense back in the day, during the time of Muhammad (pbuh), when the very act of apostasy literally meant siding with the enemy in a war-like situation (the apostate would go over to the enemy's side and fight against the Muslims with them). And it might plausibly still mean that some of the time in some Muslim states embroiled in war. But I for one don't think that equation makes sense most of the time today, when becoming an apostate doesn't mean literally siding with the enemy in an actual battle scenario. It's all about context.

A very thought out and logical explanation. :)

charlie sc

Crimes that cause harm to the community.. that disrupt a peaceful, civil society are considered apostacy.. treason.

I understand. However, is it really harmful or is hurting people's feelings? Since, to my knowledge, Islam is the only religious ideology that does this, they must be very sensitive people.

Why do we put people in prison in the US?

To answer the question plainly, they're put into prison, because they violated state law(s), which made it a crime.

I have an inkling where you're going with this and if I am correct, it's an utter failure of an argument. For instance, slavery and racial segregation laws have once existed in certain countries, which are now abolished. It's one thing to say that they were considered moral at the time, which is what The_Fisher_King get's at. It's another argument to say these laws should not be questioned, because it existed in a certain time, place and culture. You appear to be doing the latter. If you are, I'd expect you to be intellectually honest. For example, if you were magically transported in a time and place were females were expected, especially by law, to stay in the kitchen and clean that you would hold your tongue because it was culturally, politically and religiously expected of you.

sooda

Veteran Member
I understand. However, is it really harmful or is hurting people's feelings? Since, to my knowledge, Islam is the only religious ideology that does this, they must be very sensitive people.

To answer the question plainly, they're put into prison, because they violated state law(s), which made it a crime.

I have an inkling where you're going with this and if I am correct, it's an utter failure of an argument. For instance, slavery and racial segregation laws have once existed in certain countries, which are now abolished. It's one thing to say that they were considered moral at the time, which is what The_Fisher_King get's at. It's another argument to say these laws should not be questioned, because it existed in a certain time, place and culture. You appear to be doing the latter. If you are, I'd expect you to be intellectually honest. For example, if you were magically transported in a time and place were females were expected, especially by law, to stay in the kitchen and clean that you would hold your tongue because it was culturally, politically and religiously expected of you.

Sensitive? I don't know about that . Crimes like rape, murder and grand larceny actually do hurt the community.. more than just getting your feelings hurt.