• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Pastors true believers?

Phantasman

I have a theory that what was happening at Corinth was that those early Christians were trying to mimic what they had heard happened at Pentecost, where everyone there no matter the language they spoke understood what the Apostles were saying. Instead what they ended up with was a bunch of noise that Paul rebuked them for, saying basically, if you behave like that people will think your either drunk or crazy. IMHO of course.
From my studies, the Pentecostal religions we see today started in the 1800s. Just another branch of orthodox thought delivered through the Bible being translated to English after it's long prison of catholic thought of being held hostage in Latin only for about 1000 years. During that time todays many religions didn't exist.

The Codex Sinaiticus (oldest Bible on record) does not contain these verses in Mark 16:

9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
10 And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.
11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.
12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
13 And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.
14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

As the historic event of the Bible, I have seen many changes, added, taken away, rewordings of the Codex Vaticaus (catholic Bible held hostage). One just need to read of William Tyndale and John Wycliffe (original translators) of the Vaticanus) to see the lies and hypocrisy of the catholic ideology that existed since it's inception.

Christ told us not to trust the scribes, or the Pharisee's (priests). To me this moves on to the fathers of the many churches today as well.

To those who drank poisons to prove their faith are as ignorant as those who babble thinking they have something from God (the Father).

Even if Lukes version of Penticost was a representation of "tongues", it was 11 disciples speaking 16 or more different languages. The account was that the gospel was being heard by each man in his own tongue, telling me that the receivers of the gospel "understood" it, not by tongues, but by the Spirit (capital S) revealing it.
Acts 2:
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

One has to question that when Christ gave the Holy Spirit to man, did he/she speak in tongues?

John 20:
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

That is why the unredacted non Canon gospels that stood untouched by man for over 1600 years is so important to understanding what was in the times of Christ, and where men have taken Christ throughout the centuries.

Just my thoughts.

Riders

I could always qoute our pastors telling us the pentecostal movement started in the early 1900s with the Azusa Street revival.

74x12

I was taught that the UU church of Dallas Tx was started in the early 60s by mostly Theology students from Baylor Theology school. They said most of the students going to Baylor at that time to become Preachers were Atheist.

They think that teaching and being a Christian Pastor is the only way to get people to do the right thing and live right so they live the lie.

I have often questioned weather or not my Pentecostal pastors were true believers. I had one Pastor who had a guy who said he was demon posessed, we layed hands on him and it was taking along time to do the exorcism.
Brothe r*tan*8 asked his wife what was taking so long to get rid of his demons and why wasn't he acting like he believed the demon was gone.

I took that to mean my Pentecostal pastor thought it was in his mind. I have thought about this a few times do they really believe?
Well for me as Christian I realize not everyone has faith. Not every one who appears to be a Christian is really a Christian from the heart. Also even if they are a Christian they may wrestle with doubts about many things like demons or whatever. I don't judge them even though I know demons are real. However, as a Christian if I found out a preacher was not a true believer at all then I would definitely suggest finding a new church or something.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I have thought about this a few times do they really believe?
I'm sure they believe something. Probably as Pentecostals they believe some kind of Christian charismatic teaching (which borders on word-faith health-wealth teachings, in my opinion).

David1967

Premium Member
I could always qoute our pastors telling us the pentecostal movement started in the early 1900s with the Azusa Street revival.

There were a few earlier examples from what I've read, but you are correct. The modern tongues movement did start with the Azuza street incident.

Riders

It was in part reaction to the jazz and flapper movement as well.Jazz music was considered to be of the devil like Christians say rock music is or some of them. It was also them that got liquer illegalized.

Flappers who started wearing shorter dresses broke away from the old timey long big dresses women use to have to wear.The Azusa street revival made their women wear the big long dresses and steer clear of jewelry and stayed away from cutting their hair off into the classic bob cut that flappers .

I have my hair cut off into a short bob quite often it reminds me I'm not in that church anymore.

Jumi

I wouldn't say anything about all pastors. Some of them might even know God, if they're lucky.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I grew up in one of those-- if you didn't regularly speak in "tongues", you were considered a heretic.... sadly, the more outlandish the babbling, the better they thought you were...

... I'm now quite certain most (if not all) were simply faking....
I was involved with Word of Faith for many years. If anything the experience has taught me was hands-on experience involving the power of suggestive psychology.

The movement capitalizes suggestion to this very day. It's why mega churches have been so popular and very wealthy as a result.

Riders

Oh thats a beautiful and sad story but I loved it thankyou for putting it up here. See now he did what Christ did, he followed Christ in action rather then belief in the Christian God. To me on judgement day thats whats gonna matter.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was taught that the UU church of Dallas Tx was started in the early 60s by mostly Theology students from Baylor Theology school. They said most of the students going to Baylor at that time to become Preachers were Atheist.

They think that teaching and being a Christian Pastor is the only way to get people to do the right thing and live right so they live the lie.

I have often questioned weather or not my Pentecostal pastors were true believers. I had one Pastor who had a guy who said he was demon posessed, we layed hands on him and it was taking along time to do the exorcism.
Brothe r*tan*8 asked his wife what was taking so long to get rid of his demons and why wasn't he acting like he believed the demon was gone.

I took that to mean my Pentecostal pastor thought it was in his mind. I have thought about this a few times do they really believe?
Myself, I see the very existence of such questions as evidence of how twisted and unhealthy the expectation of theism is in some circles.

Theism (belief in God's existence) is not something that can reasonably expected to exist in most people most of the time. And it is certainly not something that people should be pressured into displaying.

The obvious solution is to question and hopefully soon dissolve such expectations of theism so that all people can be more honest with each other and themselves.

In that respect the United Universarians are definitely a step in the right direction, although more is needed.

Riders

No I dont believe all preachers need to be believers, Unitarian preachers some of them are AThiest. I am referring to Christians pastors, if you teach Jesus as lord and God you should believe. Its wrong for Christian pastors not to believe.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No I dont believe all preachers need to be believers, Unitarian preachers some of them are AThiest. I am referring to Christians pastors, if you teach Jesus as lord and God you should believe. Its wrong for Christian pastors not to believe.
Is it, though?

It probably is wrong to expect or demand a belief that they do not have themselves. Or even to encourage them to assume the presence of such a belief by failure to admit that they do not have it.

But there is so much more to religion than that. And perhaps it just happens that the UU, or parts of it, are at just the right place to enable some people to realize that.

Riders

Its a scam, it your telling folks they are going to burn in hell for not believing your way, that's a huge huge big big deal. If you don't even believe what your saying and your threatening people with hell I think its monstrous so yea it is a big deal.

shmogie

Why would you even look to someone else to verify what you believe.? The NT provides everything you need to know for that purpose. If what they preached is in harmony with the Bible, accept it. If not, reject it.

They are not inspired Prophet's, and even the big daddy in Rome, who alleges he speaks for God when his utterances are "ex cathedra" is wrong.

As to what they do or do not believe, that is between they and God, it's not your problem.

Pastors are to lead the Flock, not speak as God to the Flock.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Its a scam, it your telling folks they are going to burn in hell for not believing your way, that's a huge huge big big deal.

Is it? Do UU priests actually do such a thing? It is an unenlightened enough attitude for random priests, after all.

If you don't even believe what your saying and your threatening people with hell I think its monstrous so yea it is a big deal.
If that is what is happening, then sure, I agree.

Audie

Veteran Member

Read "Elmer Gantry"