• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Other People Your Business?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's none of my business, but I guess the Bible says the Christian God damns Jews, Hindus, and everyone that doesn't accept Jesus when they die, to hell, so I have to share the good news with them, about Jesus, and their relatives who died unchristian, burning in hell forever! ;)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's none of my business, but I guess the Bible says the Christian God damns Jews, Hindus, and everyone that doesn't accept Jesus when they die, to hell, so I have to share the good news with them, about Jesus, and their relatives who died unchristian, burning in hell forever! ;)
On a more serious note, if someone found their happiness on another path than mine, I applaud and encourage them, sometimes sharing what worked for me, but when I see Christians or Muslims condemning other religious people like Gandhi and Buddha, as being hellbound, or Idolaters, I feel the need to show them where they don't follow the Bible ( and kill people for working on Sabbath) either, so no one actually follows the Bible, and the Bible commands people to do the opposite of what the Bible commands, and I'm quick to point that out to people who use the Bible to judge or condemn others. ;)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Where does the line begin and end with this? When does a person's actions become your business, and what do you do about it when it does?

I don't care what someone believes. I don't care all that much if someone's actions only affect herself or fully consenting others.

Since this is a thread about religion, when someone uses religion to harm the innocent, spread disease, trash the environment or try to impose their religion on everyone else, it becomes my business. As a member of society, it's my responsibility to, for example, vote against them and advocate for positive values.

firedragon

Veteran Member
That's how I feel, too.

Im curious. If this is how you feel, why do you make so many posts, then make a joke out of peoples responses calling your cat a necessary being etc? Is that done for some pleasure unavailable otherwise or is it some other compulsion?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That's how I feel, too.
Well you're wrong. :)

"It" might not be affecting me (currently, but maybe it could in the future) but it might be affecting other sentient beings.

I don't expect to persuade anyone of anything, here and now with another poster, but sometimes I feel like posting something that others will see, given it is a public forum.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Its seldom that I roll out a thread in the debate section, but I guess I feel lucky today...

Lets say you're square with your belief system. I don't care what it is; secular humanism, Asatru, the LDS Church, Shia Islam. What you believe isn't relevant, other than you're in line with your beliefs, and are content with your behavior within that structure.

But, the guy next to you isn't in line with your beliefs. He isn't bothering you(or anyone else) at all; no, he may not even be real concerned with you in the least, but you know for a fact that he does things your worldview condemns.

Do you feel compelled to bring him to your side? Remember, he isn't trying to bother you(or anyone else), but will it nag at you that perhaps you feel he's doing something 'wrong'? Will it tug at your heart to think he's missing out on something? Or do you honestly believe none of its your business, and you smile and wave as you pass?
Are you undermining the very existence of this debate forum? :)

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I don't feel compelled to bring anybody to my side. However, I am a big fan of removing harmful and dangerous ideas from a conversation. Not all beliefs are made from the same cloth, and some things do not deserve to be brought before others if we want our society to know peace.

So I don't care what God or Gods you fellas are praying to, but I don't care at all for people who are preaching hatred, oppression and harm towards others.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think its a great answer, and a healthy view.

If their happiness could be won by you temporarily taking their worldview, would you have any problem doing it?

For example, I came into work one day and my Christian co-worker(who was also one of my favorite friends) was distraught because she thought she was going to Hell. Rather than push my own belief system on her, I(much to my own surprise) began talking from a Biblical standpoint about how she was certainly saved. It did make her feel better, and was well worth it, even if it made me feel a little strange(and even if the worldview I spewed didn't reflect my own beliefs).

I suspect for me it would be too much of a lie.
What I usually offer is not religious based. Generally not something that would cause an issue with their religious view.

The Crimson Universe

I don't have a problem with the religious practices or beliefs of others. I mean, as long as there's no bloodshed or forced conversion, its fine with me.
:=)

PureX

Veteran Member
I think the question answers itself.

Unless someone else tells me what they do or don't believe, I have no way of knowing. And no reason to discuss or debate such things with them. If, however, they've taken the initiative and bothered to tell me, then I think it's safe to presume that they're inviting a discussion or debate of some kind. It would be a very rare instance where I would initiate such a discussion by asking someone else what they believe.

syo

The opposite. I'd try to adjust myself, not to bother him or cause him distress. The reason I returned to christianity is for not upseting other people. I don't want to see sad faces.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Well you're wrong. :)

"It" might not be affecting me (currently, but maybe it could in the future) but it might be affecting other sentient beings.

I don't expect to persuade anyone of anything, here and now with another poster, but sometimes I feel like posting something that others will see, given it is a public forum.

I reserve the right to be wrong from time to time. :)

How do you find to best go about inflicting change, when the damage you perceive isn't perceived by others?

I've brought about some changes in my day, but what always shocked me was... I never tried, nor intended to.

Are you undermining the very existence of this debate forum? :)

You caught me, @viole !!

I think the question answers itself.

Unless someone else tells me what they do or don't believe, I have no way of knowing. And no reason to discuss or debate such things with them. If, however, they've taken the initiative and bothered to tell me, then I think it's safe to presume that they're inviting a discussion or debate of some kind. It would be a very rare instance where I would initiate such a discussion by asking someone else what they believe.

Sometimes a person doesn't have to tell you. Your beliefs may be fairly open, but sometimes its there in plain sight for a person who's beliefs are more particular. A person who disapproves of LGBT will notice the gay couple living next door, and the environmentalist who is concerned about overcrowding will notice the couple with 9 kids and counting next door, as well.

PureX

Veteran Member
Sometimes a person doesn't have to tell you. Your beliefs may be fairly open, but sometimes its there in plain sight for a person who's beliefs are more particular. A person who disapproves of LGBT will notice the gay couple living next door, and the environmentalist who is concerned about overcrowding will notice the couple with 9 kids and counting next door, as well.
But what they're noticing is behavior, not belief.

Also, for the record, I see very little reason for people to believe anything. It's much easier and more honest to simply see things as they are until we see them otherwise. "Belief" is just the pretense of our own correctness, and is an unnecessary bias.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
But what they're noticing is behavior, not belief.

Also, for the record, I see very little reason for people to believe anything. It's much easier and more honest to simply see things as they are until we see them otherwise. "Belief" is just the pretense of our own correctness, and is an unnecessary bias.

Often behaviors stem from belief.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I'm ashamed to admit that when I was an evangelical conservative Christian, I believed that Catholics weren't true Christians, and I tried to witness to Catholics in an effort to save their immortal souls. I felt the same way about other Christians who weren't strictly evangelical conservative, too. I also had no doubt in my heart that non-Christians (i.e. Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Wiccan) couldn't be saved outside of my evangelical beliefs about salvation. I'm not a Christian now, and I no longer believe that Evangelical Christianity (Christianity in general) is the only true religion in the world. As an agnostic, I'm no longer convinced that the Christian God exists.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I don't really expect to inflict any change, I simply sometimes wish to put my views out there, for others to make of them what they will.
I sometimes put my views out there to see how they resonate with others. I might learn that my idea was just crazy or wouldn't find support. I might also find allies to implement the change I'm dreaming of.