• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Other People Your Business?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Its seldom that I roll out a thread in the debate section, but I guess I feel lucky today...

Lets say you're square with your belief system. I don't care what it is; secular humanism, Asatru, the LDS Church, Shia Islam. What you believe isn't relevant, other than you're in line with your beliefs, and are content with your behavior within that structure.

But, the guy next to you isn't in line with your beliefs. He isn't bothering you(or anyone else) at all; no, he may not even be real concerned with you in the least, but you know for a fact that he does things your worldview condemns.

Do you feel compelled to bring him to your side? Remember, he isn't trying to bother you(or anyone else), but will it nag at you that perhaps you feel he's doing something 'wrong'? Will it tug at your heart to think he's missing out on something? Or do you honestly believe none of its your business, and you smile and wave as you pass?

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Its seldom that I roll out a thread in the debate section, but I guess I feel lucky today...

Lets say you're square with your belief system. I don't care what it is; secular humanism, Asatru, the LSD Church, Shia Islam. What you believe isn't relevant, other than you're in line with your beliefs, and are content with your behavior within that structure.

But, the guy next to you isn't in line with your beliefs. He isn't bothering you(or anyone else) at all; no, he may not even be real concerned with you in the least, but you know for a fact that he does things your worldview condemns.

Do you feel compelled to bring him to your side? Remember, he isn't trying to bother you(or anyone else), but will it nag at you that perhaps you feel he's doing something 'wrong'? Will it tug at your heart to think he's missing out on something? Or do you honestly believe none of its your business, and you smile and wave as you pass?

To each his own. If it isnt affecting me, its their life to live.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
. He isn't bothering you(or anyone else) at all; no, he may not even be real concerned with you in the least, but you know for a fact that he does things your worldview condemns.

Do you feel compelled to bring him to your side?

The thread title is to me a bit different than the question. My answer to the question is basically "no" with a small "but". The "but" involves not people but animals, nature, the environment etc. In other words "no" about beliefs and "but" to some actions.

My answer to the thread title "Are other people your business" reminds me of John Donne's thought that other people are my business but not in the sense of trying to get them to agree with my ideas but in a more compassionate sense:

"...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I often mind other people's business.
They need it.

What does this entail, exactly?

The thread title is to me a bit different than the question. My answer to the question is basically "no" with a small "but". The "but" involves not people but animals, nature, the environment etc. In other words "no" about beliefs and "but" to some actions.

My answer to the thread title "Are other people your business" reminds me of John Donne's thought that other people are my business but not in the sense of trying to get them to agree with my ideas but in a more compassionate sense:

"...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Where does the line begin and end with this? When does a person's actions become your business, and what do you do about it when it does?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

If they are within my faith/worldview, I may express that their views do not gel with the overall consensus of what our tradition says. But if this person is not within my faith group, and they are not doing anything that harms others, it's none of my business.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

Lets say you're square with your belief system. I don't care what it is; secular humanism, Asatru, the LDS Church, Shia Islam. What you believe isn't relevant, other than you're in line with your beliefs, and are content with your behavior within that structure.

That is rather tough and interesting question. In a general way, I agree with your view. As a person, the business of others that breaks no laws, doesn't harm me or others or doesn't overlap with mine is theirs and none of my business.

As a Christian, however, I am entreated to share my religious views with others. I think this can be done without or with limited intrusion. Also, sharing by example seems to be a non-intrusive way to share. I wouldn't preach here even if I could, but discussion and debate on these things can still take place here.

If the person has no interest in my views, I don't have any problem that they have their own. If I am interested in theirs, we can talk, discuss, debate and draw our own conclusions.

Where I would and do join in other's business is in regard to claims that others make and the arguments they provide in support of those claims. If you make public claims, I think a person should expect to hear public responses and those may or may not be in agreement with the person making the claim. The fact that claims can lead to action is why I consider it important to address those that are made poorly or cast to be accepted as is without support.

That may be more than you were looking for and I wouldn't consider this the best answer I have ever written, but it does cover the functional approach I take.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Well, maybe if I can see that they are unhappy.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That is rather tough and interesting question. In a general way, I agree with your view. As a person, the business of others that breaks no laws, doesn't harm me or others or doesn't overlap with mine is theirs and none of my business.

As a Christian, however, I am entreated to share my religious views with others. I think this can be done without or with limited intrusion. Also, sharing by example seems to be a non-intrusive way to share. I wouldn't preach here even if I could, but discussion and debate on these things can still take place here.

If the person has no interest in my views, I don't have any problem that they have their own. If I am interested in theirs, we can talk, discuss, debate and draw our own conclusions.

Where I would and do join in other's business is in regard to claims that others make and the arguments they provide in support of those claims. If you make public claims, I think a person should expect to hear public responses and those may or may not be in agreement with the person making the claim. The fact that claims can lead to action is why I consider it important to address those that are made poorly or cast to be accepted as is without support.

That may be more than you were looking for and I wouldn't consider this the best answer I have ever written, but it does cover the functional approach I take.

I think its a great answer, and a healthy view.

Well, maybe if I can see that they are unhappy.

If their happiness could be won by you temporarily taking their worldview, would you have any problem doing it?

For example, I came into work one day and my Christian co-worker(who was also one of my favorite friends) was distraught because she thought she was going to Hell. Rather than push my own belief system on her, I(much to my own surprise) began talking from a Biblical standpoint about how she was certainly saved. It did make her feel better, and was well worth it, even if it made me feel a little strange(and even if the worldview I spewed didn't reflect my own beliefs).

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Nobody else is my business:)
People can believe anything they want, if he want to think bad about my belief thats ok.

Gargovic Malkav

None of your business! :p

But seriously, I tried it for a while because I felt it was my religious duty.
But the result made me feel like I was "at war" with pretty much anyone.
It made me hateful and paranoid, and it had a detrimental effect on my ability to empathize.
I think I did something wrong there.
Or if it would be the best thing to do, I guess it would mean I'm not good enough to live like that.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Do you feel compelled to bring him to your side? Remember, he isn't trying to bother you(or anyone else), but will it nag at you that perhaps you feel he's doing something 'wrong'? Will it tug at your heart to think he's missing out on something?

While I don't need everybody to be Hindu or Dharmic, I think it would be nice if people stopped murdering cows and drinking alcohol.