• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Americans Living in the Past?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Which is a specific example of an individual's failure based on evidence, the CEO choices and the results of, not a generalization. Thanks for proving my point
The employees were pretty unlucky to have an idiot boss.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which is a specific example of an individual's failure based on evidence, the CEO choices and the results of, not a generalization. Thanks for proving my point
One failed due to a bad choice, "hundreds" unemployed for no fault of their own.
Bad luck?

Shad

Veteran Member
One failure due to a bad choice, "hundreds" unemployed for no fault of their own.
Bad luck?

Unemployed does not equate poverty. The CEO is unemployed but I doubt he is in poverty due to his unemployed status. Toss in the fact that people can be unemployed due to being fired (not related to the CEO case)

However you did prove my point. When using specific cases you can claim specific people can have issues with zero choice in the matter. Whereas a generalization it fails as there are people in poverty due to their own mistakes.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
How obtuse are you? Do you belong to some sort of Objectivist cult? Do you really think environmental factors can always be overcome with sufficient determination? That's some serious indoctrination.

Well Hell yes, don't you? If not, why even bother to get up in the morning?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But this is still not by any stretch of the imagination luck. This is you making choices.
I like Louis Pasteur's idea....
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
There are random elements thrown at us.
Some are easy...some difficult....& some terminal.
But making good choices tends to separate the successful from the feckless.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, it would also be the result of a choice made by whoever hired that CEO. One might also question the philosophical and political positions of those who make such choices and (tying it back in to the OP) whether such philosophies are indicative of Americans living in the past.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Would this be a good paraphrase of what you're saying, Paul? "It is important for young people these days to downgrade their goals and expectations to fit the realities of today's economy, despite that their parents "faced" much better economies upon their own graduation in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Above all else, they should keep a rosy, unrealistic view of their own opportunities, because realism might demoralize and defeat them."
That might be a nuanced way of interpreting what I thought was fairly clear to begin with, @Sunstone I suppose if one wished to become a bitter, twisted and paranoid feeling that they are so special that the entire world is aligned to thwart their every move, then maybe what you are saying might be beneficial.

Call me silly but, "maintain realistic goals and to check one's attitude continually" precludes the possibility of "Above all else, they should keep a rosy, unrealistic view of their own opportunities, because realism might demoralize and defeat them." Giving people the idea that the system is rigged against them is very poor advice and defeating in an of itself.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Giving people the idea that the system is rigged against them is very poor advice and defeating in an of itself.

Please go tell that to the revolutionary generation of 1776, Paul, or more recently, the generation that grew up during the Great Depression and implemented most or all of the social safety net in the US.

Shad

Veteran Member
Well, it would also be the result of a choice made by whoever hired that CEO. One might also question the philosophical and political positions of those who make such choices and (tying it back in to the OP) whether such philosophies are indicative of Americans living in the past.

For the CEO and his economics I would say yes and no. He lives in the past by holding to such a system (yes) while ignoring when those systems failed in the past (no). I am sure some of the older generation are prone to thoughts which can be seen as living in the past.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes, I'm aware of that, but we are still benefiting from the residual wealth. However, even that will have a decreasing benefit unless we get our act together. Meanwhile, Joe & Mary Middle-Class will have to gradually get used to a further decrease in buying power because we simply cannot compete that well internationally because of the wage differential and the overall worldwide commitment to free trade. In the 1980's, France tried to isolate itself from free trade negotiations but that didn't work out well for them at all, and I believe Brexit will have the same result for the UK.