• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone can be a beachgoer, but can everyone be a ...?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would not occur to me to do so, and have been in a number of delicate situations over the decades.
The "there are no atheists in foxholes" idea only goes so far.

To counter your point, in the face of reality, many theists have dropped their god and became happy atheists.
It occurs to me that if I were to explore the last refuge of the weak,
I wouldn't pick God or Allah.....I'd want Harry Potter or maybe Hermoine
Granger. They seem like they'd listen, & would transport me out'a there.
What about God, you ask?
He's the one who lets the Xians & others in foxholes die.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Good for you...Perhaps God is giving you a chance at life in righting the wrong things in your life even if you don't believe. You see, I'd like to believe, excuse me, I do believe that God doesn't give a damn what you believe but sometimes facing our own mortality may make us cognizant of the things we overlook and do not address in our own lives.

For example an alcoholic prior to cirrhosis of the liver has an inflammation of the liver......This is easily fixable by withdrawing from alcohol. Cirrhosis is not and when that happens you need a liver transplant which as an alcoholic you either need to be extremely wealthy or extremely lucky because most donation organizations don't place an alcoholic at the top of the list. We live a life of chances and sometimes facing mortality makes us aware of that. I'm sure one day whether you believe in God or not, you'll face that realization and that lingering question of the "what if."
For me it's more like Maybe, Maybe not regardless of direction or source.

Suffices well enough in answering any lingering existential questions that may crop up under various circumstances.

Audie

Veteran Member
t > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“People say there are no atheists in foxholes. A lot of people think this is a good argument against atheism. Personally, I think it's a much better argument against foxholes.”

Others point out that nobody sees the tanks coming
and says "Hooray, I am about to receive eternal life!"

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
For me it's more like Maybe, Maybe not regardless of direction or source.

Suffices well enough in answering any lingering existential questions that may crop up under various circumstances.

Perhaps. I'm not sure hold old you are in relation to me since I'm 35 but I've lived long enough to know better and to know that when my time comes and I'm questioned I cannot say to God "well I never had a warning." I've had plenty and I think all human beings are granted this however noticeable or subtle we all have warnings.

Audie

Veteran Member
Perhaps. I'm not sure hold old you are in relation to me since I'm 35 but I've lived long enough to know better and to know that when my time comes and I'm questioned I cannot say to God "well I never had a warning." I've had plenty and I think all human beings are granted this however noticeable or subtle we all have warnings.

I have been warned that I will hang by my hair in eternal fire
for my sin of going about in public with my hair uncovered.

women_hell.jpg

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I have been warned that I will hang by my hair in eternal fire
for my sin of going about in public with my hair uncovered.

women_hell.jpg

Well you have to consider the mentality of the people in that time as opposed to now. I'm sure Muhammad and his followers living among the Quraysh were exposed to a lot of prostitutes (remember it is the oldest profession) so I'm sure there was an association between this and the fact that their hair was exposed. I'd like to think the God of the Qur'an is not that petty. Besides quoting from an "ex-muslim" source is not a source of truth. Anyone can be truth by being an ex of something that does not mean they are right.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well you have to consider the mentality of the people in that time as opposed to now. I'm sure Muhammad and his followers living among the Quraysh were exposed to a lot of prostitutes (remember it is the oldest profession) so I'm sure there was an association between this and the fact that their hair was exposed. I'd like to think the God of the Qur'an is not that petty. Besides quoting from an "ex-muslim" source is not a source of truth. Anyone can be truth by being an ex of something that does not mean they are right.

No prob to consider the mentality of the people at the time, not for me.

Those who think their ancient texts are composed of infallible eternal verities do tho.

The picture is not from an "ex-moslem".

What you are sure of may be so and it may be not.

I doubt that any actual god would be petty, but the
OT god sure is. If the Islamic god is too, no surprise there.

"Is" ion the sense that I see both as characters in
semi-historical novels, not as actual beings.

Regardless of all that, my point was about "warnings"
from "god".

You missed or otherwise did not in any way respond to that.

Shouldst one obey all injunctions from all gods,
Pascals wager and all?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Shouldst one obey all injunctions from all gods,
Pascals wager and all?
Pascal's wager is such bunk....it posits only 2 alternatives.
I can think of hundreds more. Thus, applying advanced
probabilistic religion analysis, one cannot discern which
is the true religion. Here's one option...
If you don't crush your enemies, see them driven before you,
& hear the lamentation of their women, then Krom will doom
you to eternal misery. Makes as much sense as the others, eh.

Audie

Veteran Member
Pascal's wager is such bunk....it posits only 2 alternatives.
I can think of hundreds more. Thus, applying advanced
probabilistic religion analysis, one cannot discern which
is the true religion. Here's one option...
If you don't crush your enemies, see them driven before you,
& hear the lamentation of their women, then Krom will doom
you to eternal misery. Makes as much sense as the others, eh.

Well yeah, that is what I was thinking. There's a lot more gods than no allah and yah. Gotta appease them all to be safe.

I dont like that hang-by-hair stuff!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well yeah, that is what I was thinking. There's a lot more gods than no allah and yah. Gotta appease them all to be safe.

I dont like that hang-by-hair stuff!
In Revoltifarianism, there is no hanging by hair.
You even get to choose your own haircut & color!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I believe that someday everyone will be a believer, because God has promised us that.
I have to wonder why a real God would do such a thing.

It feels all the world like something that a certain variety of man-made God would promise, but not at all what a real God would bother with.

Anyone can be a beachgoer, but can everyone be a surfer? Meaning, can everyone be a believer?

Uh... what on Earth is that supposed to mean? Are you implying that being a believer is somehow a good thing that one should hope for, or admire, or feel fortunate for?

Because, let me tell you, that is not at all self-evident a premise.

Anyone can be a religious person, but it takes someone special to desire for his brother that what he desires for himself.

Sorry. I must again disagree fiercely on both counts.

Religiosity as I understand it requires some effort, skill and even rational ability.

Meanwhile, basic solidarity is actually quite common, very nearly universal even.

He may have a point....Seen some hardcore atheists get on their knees in the face of danger. Everyone it seems turns to God when they face their own mortality.

I am sorry to tell you that, but it looks like someone has been lying quite shamelessly to you.

I don't even know who you are thinking about when you mention those supposed "hardcore atheists", but truth be told, I believe those people to be fully fabricated. It is just not very likely to happen with real people at all often.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever learned of any real person who actually went through such a situation. None comes to mind right now, at the very least. And it would be weird to learn of any.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
I have to wonder why a real God would do such a thing.

It feels all the world like something that a certain variety of man-made God would promise, but not at all what a real God would bother with.

Uh... what on Earth is that supposed to mean? Are you implying that being a believer is somehow a good thing that one should hope for, or admire, or feel fortunate for?

Because, let me tell you, that is not at all self-evident a premise.

Sorry. I must again disagree fiercely on both counts.

Religiosity as I understand it requires some effort, skill and even rational ability.

Meanwhile, basic solidarity is actually quite common, very nearly universal even.

I am sorry to tell you that, but it looks like someone has been lying quite shamelessly to you.

I don't even know who you are thinking about when you mention those supposed "hardcore atheists", but truth be told, I believe those people to be fully fabricated. It is just not very likely to happen with real people at all often.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever learned of any real person who actually went through such a situation. None comes to mind right now, at the very least. And it would be weird to learn of any.

A person wit h a strong case has no need to invent IMAGINARY
people and their behaviour to bolster it.

it is one with the nonsense creationists make up about
evolution, so they can say, "look how absurd /impossible / stupid...."

Inventing hypothetical hypocrisy to make others look bad, so that one can shine in comparison is particularly low.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
He may have a point....Seen some hardcore atheists get on their knees in the face of danger. Everyone it seems turns to God when they face their own mortality.
No, they really don't.

BTW: why do you as a theist want to reduce your god to the last-ditch option for people at their most irrational and desperate?

I mean, when someone's at the end of their rope and doesn't see anywhere else to turn, they might resort to robbery to get cash, but nobody says "aha! I knew that in your heart of hearts, you secretly thought that robber was a good career choice!"

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Isn't it strange how people invent situations where non-believers can't understand why believers believe what they believe that non-believers believe that believers can believe in `god` and his `son` and fearful non-believers not being fearful of a believer's ominent `gods` ?
Not to mention the transparancy of the imaginary angels, thrones, trumpets, and ghosts that hover above us in the cloud bank known as heaven with it's golden paths to nowhere, and we're to be fearful of all the stupendous splendourous existance, instead of going to hell and it's lake of flame and pitchforks in our rears to make us squeel in a painfull yell of tortuous wrath !
~
WOW!!!!!
I'll take the beach and leave my cognition behind and join the Cosmos in all it's glorious splendor, just lead me to my cloud, and bring me a daquerie.