• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Campers Here?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I introduced camping to my wife the summer after we got married and created a camping "monster". Even though she had never camped before in her life, she took to it immediately, and we camped every summer for 2-3 weeks for over 30 years.

Anyhow, any of you reading this also do camping? If so, where? Any interesting experiences to share?

I'll be gone after this afternoon until Monday, so have a great weekend and I'll see yas on Monday.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't call it "cheating"....it's "glamping".

I would do the same thing as a kid. Some of my favorite memories are "glamping" in a trailer on the northern California coastline.

In my experience, people are either mountain campers or beach campers. My family has always been very much the beach variety. :)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Done it a few times with friends. I get really active when I'm way outdoors, which is good because it makes up for the fact that I also sleep terribly outdoors.

Flame

Beware
We've been trying to take a week during the summer to go camping in the Black Hills.

The only interesting experience was me crawling out of the tent to go make breakfast to find two mountain lions napping near our campfire.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
we camped a lot when I was a child, and I continued to until I was about 20 and got married...thought I could convince first wife to try it...her idea of roughing it was a three-star when the indoor pool was closed for maintenance...so I rarely camped for about 20 years for so. Current wife and I camped some, but she's got lung issues and so can't really do that any more...she says I can, but I'm not going without her...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I don't call it "cheating"....it's "glamping".
Yup, here's a few campsite pics from this summers camp-outs with the kids. Here's my version of glamping...

Here's my son, we call him EZ-Hiker

upload_2019-12-21_8-51-22.png

When I took my daughter, I setup a penthouse suite for her in the back of the truck. Notice the reflectix, Rev? Yup, she slept well..

upload_2019-12-21_8-57-17.png

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The only interesting experience was me crawling out of the tent to go make breakfast to find two mountain lions napping near our campfire.
Yeah... I've had two cougar encounters. Both were ... exciting to say the least...

Here's what I learned... never simmer soup in cougar country... o_O:rolleyes::eek:

OH! and... if I'm hiking at night, solo; I use an old fashioned framed backpack that protects the back of my neck.

pearl

Anyhow, any of you reading this also do camping? If so, where? Any interesting experiences to share?

We have had many years of camping and look back on them fondly. Our first was in
Fort Ticonderoga NY. We rented a popup camper, very roomy and easy to tow. As I look back I wonder how we made it with 3 children ages 4, 2, and 7 months!
We also camped in areas you had to hike into with backpacks and tents to a camping area where there was absolutely nothing but the woods and lake. While camped there we met a couple of guys who had come up the Appalachian trail from Virginia. We were setting up camp and they were breaking down ready to leave when I asked how could they leave at dusk. They were so exhausted they had slept the entire 24 hours and thought they were leaving at dawn. As the children grew older they missed their friends so we went to a hard top and bought a trailer which we camped with all summer at a campground close enough for friends and my husband's work. Open all year we could spend the weekends during the winter and enjoyed snowmobiling and ice fishing.
When our youngest entered Jr High I became a working mom and we bought a boat, camping on the ocean?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I introduced camping to my wife the summer after we got married and created a camping "monster". Even though she had never camped before in her life, she took to it immediately, and we camped every summer for 2-3 weeks for over 30 years.
I had the opposite experience.
As a kid, my parents took us camping a lot. I loved it. As a young adult I went all the time. Winter, summer, near or far....

But my partner isn't much into that. He indulged me for a few years, but got to dragging his feet more and more over time. So it's been awhile, now.:(
Tom

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Our early camping (20 or so years) was mostly in Michigan, especially in da U.P., and Ontario. After that, we diversified and camped in numerous places in the eastern U.S. and in Quebec [really loved the latter!). We've seen wolves, coyotes, one black bear (by our site), deer, etc.

My wife, who normally was and is a rather conservative dresser, became "wild woman" when camping, not wearing a bra :) (until she got older :(, plus we "initiated" many outdoor locations:D, getting caught at least once, but no one said anything.

We started out in a tent but moved to a pop-up camper later, which we used for many years before getting our place in da U.P. There we've had a moose and at least one wolf walk by our place, and we were told there was a cougar by us but we didn't see it. We sold it last year, and truly miss it.

Anyhow, thanks for your input as this was always something we looked forward to doing.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My wife, who normally was and is a rather conservative dresser, became "wild woman" when camping, not wearing a bra
My mom was kinda the opposite.
Traditional mother. Looking back I realize how saintly she was.

She never objected to taking her husband and 6 children out camping. Even though it basically meant she did everything she did at home, only without hot and cold running water, electricity, or even a door on "the house".

Talk about your saint.
Tom

Heyo

Veteran Member
Not a camper but a Living History enthusiast. I.e. living in a tent, cooking on open fire but no electricity, modern equipment or modern clothing.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Ex-camper here - you'd have to pay me a substantial amount to get me in a tent now - no sleep being the main issue. :( Most of my camping, apart from the earliest with the Scouts, was incidental to some other activity - like rock-climbing or mountaineering - so a night's drinking usually got me to sleep. I've also done some back-packing, either with a small lightweight tent or bivvy bag - preferably the former.

A much better option in my opinion is the warmth and comfort of a nice bunk in a sailing yacht - does limit one's destinations though. :D

Some of the best holidays I've had have been whilst chartering yachts - usually around Scotland.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not a camper but a Living History enthusiast. I.e. living in a tent, cooking on open fire but no electricity, modern equipment or modern clothing.
That sounds like camping to me.
What do you see as the difference?
Tom