• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

anti semitic

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
The GEOGRAPHICAL REGION is Palestine; the state is Israel and occupied lands which include the State of Palestinian though the borders remain contended. Referring to the lands as Palestine is technically correct, though hardly considerate giving that one of the nations in the region uses that as part of their name and there are still significant questions over land ownership yet to be addressed - so while a correct use of the term it is foolhardy.

So far several Jewish members posted in this thread and non of them called anyone anti-Semitic. On the other hand 2 out of the 3 Muslims who posted in this thread have either denied Israel the right to exist or refered to Israelis as ''scum''.
Boy, you must feel like an ***.
Yet you were particularly quick to take offence and imply prejudice without reading the full sentence; perhaps indicating you may be a little over sensitive on the subject.

But you are right, the conduct in this thread has been poor - it is understandable, but not justifiable that with an emotionally charged topic that people might forget themselves to such an extent.

Shermana

Heretic
Nah, I think he has a fair criticism. I see it regularly, especially here on RF, where criticism of Israel
is often vehemently countered with ad hom attacks including the cry of "anti-semitism".
Moreover, Mid-East Muslims strike as more subject to anti-semitism than Jews...at least here in the USA.
Consider how they're portrayed in our media, & regular threads about how violent & primitive they are.

When the criticism of Israel seems to be singled out, facts distorted, context ignored, counter-arguments brushed off and nuh uhed, and the perception of the other sides' actions to be justified, and downplayed while the Jews' side is totally villified, or the Jews are put to a "higher standard" for some "cultural reason" or another which boils down to them having to lay down their claims and surrender, it may just be...

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
So far several Jewish members posted in this thread and non of them called anyone anti-Semitic. On the other hand 2 out of the 3 Muslims who posted in this thread have either denied Israel the right to exist or refered to Israelis as ''scum''.
Boy, you must feel like an ***.

I should also add, ignoring the sheer rabid animosity leveled by many against Israelis and those who support the state of Israel could be another symptom. Not saying they are but...

It's quite a bit different than noting how the Palestinians have flat out ignored every peace offer and have charters and national agendas that involve the destruction of the "Zionist regime" and how they resort to direct deliberate attacks on civilians (as opposed to collateral damage where warning leaflets are dropped in response to rocket strikes, no matter how primitive), just sayin'.

(Or ignoring/not caring about the political unwillingness of them to accept any peace deal for that matter).

Last edited:

outis

I was looking at this thread to pass time, like watching a trainwreck. I did not intend to comment but I changed my mind because I saw something I did not expect.

Hate Breads Hate.

Your conduct is not the conduct taught by the Quran. Learn some decency.
Calling someone a scum won't help get your point across. There a decent ways to get your point across, especially when these settlers themselves have been convinced that what they are doing is their birth right.
I am impressed. I could not write as you write in theses circumstances. This is solid Dawah.
Many things have been said about Ahmadis. Well, a gospel says "you'll know them by their fruits".

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Hate Breads Hate.

Your conduct is not the conduct taught by the Quran. Learn some decency.
Calling someone a scum won't help get your point across. There a decent ways to get your point across, especially when these settlers themselves have been convinced that what they are doing is their birth right.

Stop dwelling in fallacies, personal attacks do not make you right. Just because someone is Shia or Ahmadi do not make them any less. Use reason not personal attacks.

My Jewish friends, this person here cannot even get past hating Muslims, so how can you reason he is only Anti-Semitic. He is rather Anti-Minority.

No need to get emotional. Like a shia you follow the interpretation of someone I wouldnt follow. So your preaching is useless.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
You say no need to get emotional, yet that (RM's reply) was in response to an emotional discourse calling people scum.

I agree there is no need (but plenty of incentive) to get emotional; however it applies to all such comments, not merely those we find distasteful. An emotional examination of the issue of Palestinian and Israeli history and their current situation cannot help but arouse sadness and anger, neither of which has been particularly useful in securing safety or security for those involved. If you say, as you do, that there is no need to get emotional, then a rational perspective should be used to examine such concepts, the positions of those involved and their arguments. To be rational is not merely a matter of how well you present your position and argument, it includes how you perceive the world and the arguments and positions of others - to acknowledge emotion and assumption, yet concentrate on reason and fact.

It includes not only how you speak, but how you hear as well.

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
Oh, brother. Not another one of these threads. Let's all start a quarrel over semantics and ignorance (real or assumed) of the etymology of a phrase, and turn it into a backbiting hatefest of Israel-bashing and barely-veiled Jew-baiting. Good Lord, has no one anything more productive to do?

Shermana

Heretic
Oh, brother. Not another one of these threads. Let's all start a quarrel over semantics and ignorance (real or assumed) of the etymology of a phrase, and turn it into a backbiting hatefest of Israel-bashing and barely-veiled Jew-baiting. Good Lord, has no one anything more productive to do?

I think the word "Antisemitic" needs to be retired and replaced with Judeopathy or something to get back to what it originally meant, the term is being distorted away from its original meaning on more occasions than its used correctly.

Alceste

Vagabond

Et voila. The eagerly anticipated accusation of anti-Semitism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Really put'n those shields of knowledge & ambassadorship to good use, eh?

Flankerl

Et voila. The eagerly anticipated accusation of anti-Semitism.

He wrote "Israel-bashing and barely-veiled Jew-baiting". If you cant understand the english language its not his fault.

And he is right.
Antisemitism has nothing to do with semitic languages or people. Its about jews. Thats why the term was invented. To single-out jews.

If you have a tough time accepting reality its not our fault.

Alceste

Vagabond
He wrote "Israel-bashing and barely-veiled Jew-baiting". If you cant understand the english language its not his fault.

And he is right.
Antisemitism has nothing to do with semitic languages or people. Its about jews. Thats why the term was invented. To single-out jews.

If you have a tough time accepting reality its not our fault.

And more random accusations of antisemitism.

As promised.

Flankerl

You could say that i accused you of not being able to understand the english language properly.

And at the moment i seem to be right.

Alceste

Vagabond
Actually, that was quite the random accusation of accusations of anti-semitism. I can't even see one in there, much less several o_O

"Israel bashing and Jew baiting" are synonyms for antisemitism, IMO. Flankerl agrees with him this thread is "Israel bashing and Jew baiting".

Last edited:

WyattDerp

"Israel bashing and Jew baiting" are synonyms for antisemitism, IMO. Flankerl agrees with him this thread is "Israel bashing and Jew baiting".

I'm sorry, but it's 2013, we all have access to wikipedia, and this is a real topic. Why did it not end after the first posts that cleared this up? What's there to discuss? "Anti-semitism means hatred of Jews because that's how it was defined, originally to make it sound more scientific and noble, thanks for asking" -- that should be an auto-response or something.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm sorry, but it's 2013, we all have access to wikipedia, and this is a real topic. Why did it not end after the first posts that cleared this up? What's there to discuss? "Anti-semitism means hatred of Jews because that's how it was defined, originally to make it sound more scientific and noble, thanks for asking" -- that should be an auto-response or something.

Sure, I don't care either way how people use words. It's a non-topic. Nevertheless, I can understand why Arab muslims might be surprised to discover they are technically also semites and want to talk about it, seeing as they are so often persecuted themselves. And I don't get how anybody's imagination can conjure up a perception of "Jew baiting and Israel bashing" from that discussion.