• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Movie Thread

Dezzie

So... I was wondering... What is the scariest movie anyone has ever seen?

Mine is The Exorcist (1973)
I'm watching it right now and it is really quite terrifying.
I remember being a little girl and hearing about this movie.
I tried watching it but could never watch the entire thing.
I think this is the first time I am going to finish this film.
:eek: :cover:

Oh and, I am not sure if this was done before.
I apologize if I made a second or third. :p

Trey of Diamonds

The original Halloween really scared me the first time I saw it. I was just a kid at the time but it's been my favorite ever sense.

Circle_One

The original Haunting gets me every time. I can never watch The Devil's Backbone without jumping and biting my tongue. The original The Fog has a big creep factor for me too.

I k ow I'm going to get made fun of for this by a certain member here, but I still can't watch the first Poltergeist. It traumatized me as a child and I refuse to watch it again.

Dezzie

The original Haunting gets me every time. I can never watch The Devil's Backbone without jumping and biting my tongue. The original The Fog has a big creep factor for me too.

I k ow I'm going to get made fun of for this by a certain member here, but I still can't watch the first Poltergeist. It traumatized me as a child and I refuse to watch it again.

Well... I am not one to say anything about the first Poltergeist movie. lol When I was younger, the one movie I always had a hard time watching was Child's Play. As dumb as the movie is today, it still creeps me out.

Another movie I will never watch is Saw 5... I've seen a few parts of it but it is just WAY too disturbing. I've seen the other 4 Saw movies but I really don't think they compare to the fifth. The fifth is just sick.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Alien, Mainly because I wasn't expecting it. I went to the movie as a science fiction fan. Wasn't prepared for the movie and at the time I think it was ahead of its time in Horror.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es

The Haunting, John Carpenter's The Thing, Suspiria, Zombie, and this effed up film I saw as a kid on trepanation.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I was scared the most when I watched House of Wax, but it was around 3:00 in the morning, and I was watching it while all alone and really sleep deprived. It probably wouldn't have been so scary if I wasn't already on edge from not sleeping. :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The Exorcist (1973)...
Saw it in the theatre when it was released and then went home and sat up till dawn. There really had never been anything quite so effectively done in Horror to that point in time. I was only 17 and had a very vivid imagination.

Since then I find that movies are no longer authentic horror flicks but are more silly gore fests. I did like the first Nightmare on Elm street, but even then, I didn't find Freddy to be scary in the slightest.

Now... nothing is frightening.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I've never seen the Exorcist... but I'm thinking I probably should....

I remember when I was 5 or so, I watched Jurassic Park in the theater with my parents and sister and it scared me so much.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Movies today just aren't scary, they tend to be gross instead. The movies I remember as being scary were the ones I saw when I was between the ages of 8 and 12. Maybe I'm immune now.
I know what you mean Trey. The movies now seem to specialize in gore galore but are usually built on silly ideas. Roving bands of zombies just doesn't get a rise out of me.

I did find SAW to be disturbing. I kept thinking of what kind of a twisted person would even think of such things, in such detail, to write the screenplay and also the kind of person that would find the screenplay so compelling as to want to make it into a movie. Not scary, but seriously warped thinking.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I know what you mean Trey. The movies now seem to specialize in gore galore but are usually built on silly ideas. Roving bands of zombies just doesn't get a rise out of me.
Well, most storytelling conventions can be accused of "silly ideas". Dickens use of coincidence to keep the plot's momentum has been heavily criticized; the guy loved to draw completely unlikely occurences at the drop of a hat.

My ill defined point is that horror, or really any kind of fiction, takes a premise that doesn't conform with what is known, it doesn't reflect how we understand the world, inverts it, throws the viewer into a nightmarish existence where laws and actions previously assumed are no longer reliable. Horror is nightmare, and nightmares require the real world as a backdrop, then an additional component that is likely silly, but a suspension of disbelief allows the viewer to enter the world and experience the terrors within. In your example the dead rising is a silly idea, but against the backdrop of reality: [I speak specifically of Romero's Dead films] social unrest, revolutions, violence, fear of authority, fear of democracy- inserting this fantastic element better reflects the fears and horror the storyteller feels towards these issues. The silliness exacerbates the sense of nightmare and accentuates the experience.

At least it does when I'm on peyote. :monkey:

I did find SAW to be disturbing. I kept thinking of what kind of a twisted person would even think of such things, in such detail, to write the screenplay and also the kind of person that would find the screenplay so compelling as to want to make it into a movie. Not scary, but seriously warped thinking.
:confused:

Trey of Diamonds

Horror is nightmare, and nightmares require the real world as a backdrop, then an additional component that is likely silly, but a suspension of disbelief allows the viewer to enter the world and experience the terrors within.

What do you think of the movie The Decent? I thought it was great but not because of the critters in the caves but because it showed the lead character's decent into savagery. She actually became as vicious and deadly as the critters chasing her and her friends. Hell hath no fury.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
What do you think of the movie The Decent? I thought it was great but not because of the critters in the caves but because it showed the lead character's decent into savagery. She actually became as vicious and deadly as the critters chasing her and her friends. Hell hath no fury.
I liked The Descent up until the actual full reveal of the critters- the claustrophobia, the impending doom, glimpses of things in the dark- it all worked to build tension, then degenerated into too much emphasis on action and lost some of its disturbing qualities in the process. But I give a solid 80% as really good (despite some awful dialogue from Marshall- he's a testament to the fact that some screenwriters just don't write females characters very well).

But Natalie Jackson Mendoza is crazy hot.

Now Dog Soldiers...! That's an Aliens-style balls out action thriller that's so much fun it deserves to be watched with a roomful of noisy inebriated friends.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The Ring. The only movie I can say that's ever actually scared me.

The Exorcist was great, and sort of scary, too.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Love The Fog! The creepy glowing eyes of the zombie-ghost-pirates still creeps me out. What a phenomenal setting too. The remake... well, I did see it 'cause my friends talked me into it and.... yeah, no surprises there. It sucked.

And The Devil's Backbone is amazing. The eye-in-keyhole scene... the fetching the water scene... the whole movie is incredibly creepy. Del Toro's Cronos is a great vampire film too, but more melancholy than scary.

I find The Thing scary mainly due to the isolated setting, the apocalyptic mood (once these guys realize what they're facing they know that the end of the world is imminent), and the idea that the creature isn't evil, or angry or anything humans can relate to- it's simply trying to survive and humans are a biological means to an end. Awesome.

Don't get me started on The Haunting, Suspiria or Zombie- that's an essay or two there. Or three.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The first movie that had a lasting impact was Poltergeist. I was about 7 or 8 when it was out (don't know why I was allowed to see it). I don't ever remembering being afraid at night in bed before that, but after seeing that, I was afraid of the dark for years - especially because I had a gnarled tree outside my bedroom window.

Sonic247

Did anyone here ever see Jacob's ladder, it seemed really scary the time I saw it. Also I heard quarantine was scary but didn't see it yet.

Circle_One

Jacob's Ladder! Good call, that had a lot of creepiness to it.

OH! The Changeling! Have you seen that, Sugriva? The part where the little red and blue ball comes bouncing down the stairs gives me shivers everytime I watch it.

Sugriva, I totally know what you're saying about The Thing. The isolation is the main creep factor there for me. And I agree with the Descent. I honestly had a panic attack uring a couple of parts because of the claustraphobia of the setting. A ok of those cave parts were really hard for me to get through, just because of the claustraphobia.