• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animals and Religion

xkatz

What does your religion have to say about animals? Are animals equal to humans? Do they have souls? Can they go to heaven or reincarnate? What is their worth in your religion?

james2ko

What does your religion have to say about animals? Are animals equal to humans? Do they have souls? Can they go to heaven or reincarnate? What is their worth in your religion?

The indications in the Bible are that of all God's physical creation, only man is destined to live again in the Kingdom of God. Only man was made in God's image (Genesis 1:26) and given a mind for the purpose of developing righteous character, which will fit him for eternal life. The purpose of human life and the awesome destiny of man set humanity apart from other living creatures.

Nowhere does the Bible indicate that animals have any hope of life beyond the grave. Like all physical creatures, including man, animals go to their graves when they die (Ecclesiastes 3:19-20). But, for man, there is a resurrection from the dead (John 5:28-29; I Corinthians 15:21-22). No such promise is given specifically for beasts, although God's law does contemplate treating them humanely (Exodus 23:5, 12; Deuteronomy 25:4; Proverbs 12:10).

xkatz

James,
I am just curious, what denomination of Christianity you are associated with?

Sahar

According to Islam animals have souls. What distinguish human beings from animals is the free will. God created this Earth and all what is on it, including animals, for us. It's a matter of test. Are we going to build this Earth and spread goodness or are we going to corrupt and spread evil? This test also applies to how we deal with the living creatures of this planet. It's true that the system of creation lead us to get benefit of other creatures and feed on them, (animals in our case). But abusing these creatures is a grave thing. It can determine our eternal dwelling. The famous hadith about the prostitute woman who found a thirsty dog and offered water to it to quench its thirst and how the sins of this woman were forgiven for this simple act of mercy towards a helpless creature, is a good example. We also memorize the hadith about the woman who imprisoned a cat and how this was enough to sentence her to Hell. Note that she only imprisoned it, she didn't hit it or burn it alive or the other acts of torture that we sadly hear about. Muslims are forbidden to hunt an animal for the sake of fun and sporting. It's also worthy to mention that we are forbidden to destroy ants nests/colonies for example.

It is a distinctive characteristic of the Shar`iah that all animals have legal rights which must be enforced by the state. Othman Llewellyn even argues that Shari`ah has mechanisms for the full repair of injuries suffered by non-human creatures including their representation in court, assessment of injuries and awarding of relief to them. The classical Muslim jurist `Izz ad-Din ibn `Abd as-Salam, who flourished during the thirteenth century, formulated the following statement of animal rights:

“The rights of livestock and animals upon man: these are that he spend on them the provision that their kinds require, even if they have aged or sickened such that no benefit comes from them; that he not burden them beyond what they can bear; that he not put them together with anything by which they would be injured, whether of their own kind or other species, and whether by breaking their bones or butting or wounding; that he slaughters them with kindness when he slaughters them, and neither flay their skins nor break their bones until their bodies have become cold and their lives have passed away; that he not slaughter their young within their sight, but that he isolate them; that he makes comfortable their resting places and watering places; that he puts their males and females together during their mating seasons; that he not discard those which he takes as game; and neither shoots them with anything that breaks their bones nor brings about their destruction by any means that renders their meat unlawful to eat.”

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/98894-mercy-kindness-animals.html

Muslims also believe that animals worship God in their own way just like any other creature in this universe. They are created this way. In contrast to human beings who have a free will to follow God's path and worship him or not.

As human beings (and jinns) are the only accountable creatures so judgment, heaven and hell become relevant. Even though animals are creatures that have no responsibilities, they will settle their accounts with one another. As a matter of fact, in a hadith, the Prophet states that no injustice will remain unrequited in the hereafter by saying: “Every right holder will be given his right. Even hornless sheep’s right will be taken from the horned sheep through retaliation.” questionsonislam After this, animals eventually turn to dust.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Animals are highly valued in Hinduism. They are souls equal to you and me. They are simply less spiritually evolved. One day, each of the souls present within any living entity will experience human life and beyond. Similiarly, you and i were once in the bodies of numerous animal species. Through karma and reincarnation, we take birth as plants, animals and any other existing form of life.

In the spiritual context, we are all equal.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
God sleeps in the rock,
Dreams in the plant,
Stirs in the animal,
And Awakens in Man.

- Al Arabi

...and...

I died as a mineral and became a plant;
I died as a plant and rose to animal;
I died as an animal and I was a man.
Why should I fear?
When was I less by dying?
Yet once more I shall die as man to soar...
With angels blest.
But even from an angel I must pass on:
All except God must perish.
When I have sacrificed my angel soul,
I shall become what no mind ever conceived.

-Jalaluddin Rumi

bhaktajan

All animals (anima = Soul in latin) perfrom their "Dharma" (Occupational Duty).

Funny thought: Ruffians/Rogues/brigands/bandits/diacoits/highwaymen/thieves/mugger/Robbers ---are sometimes referred to as 'Such Animals', they were like animals, they acted like animals, they should be treated [punished?] like animals ---ironically, their victims are all experiencing a Nietzche type of "Eternal Recurrence" otherwise known as the karmic "cycle of Birth & Death (samsara)" ---the victims are of animalistic brutes are getting Karmic-pay-back from the past.
Those animalistic brutes ironically were enacting their dharma. Maybe as practice for their future lives in even baser circumstances as a real animal. Who else deserves to carry the banner of beastly births than those that are candidates to occupy the posts comfortably and without complaint ---so as to past the time to re-acclimate themselves to the value of civic society.

Animals have a soul as evident by thier conscious living life---they:
1 eat
2 sleep
3 mate
4 defend

They have four limbs, Five senses, interpersonal affairs, they too have 9 gates to their body.

But, that is the same status quo for all 8,400,000 species of living creatures.

What is the remarkable feature is that a species was relegated by destiny to walk side-by-side among civilised society.

A dogs' lot in society is ironic because, a Dog [as well as any born Soul] must inherit Good (or bad)-karma where ever one finds "ONE'S SELF" situated in an Ideal Setting.

Show me a Cosmopolitan Aristocrat walking their dog and afterwards picking up the dog's poop ---and I'll show you a Dog with good karma that many a bad-karma recipent would envy.

Ghost

Singing Thunder Bear
I like the question mainly because its one really worth thinking about & looking into because, aside for the contrary thought from a single strict canon of any specific religious belief system, animals still play fundamental roles in the planets ecosystem.

To me, having had experience with animals, augury, husbandry & a lot of the other cultures I've studied, for thousands of years, I mean, even predating writen history, animals were honored as something more then just an object or part of creation with no function. Nature itself is a lot more divine then people give it credit for & to say humans arent similar in resemblance to animals, since everything on the Earth is biological, period, the characteristics of every living thing has a similar role pertaining to those specific functions.

Animals themselves, whether they be indigenous or domesticated, have social structures, symbolism & roles within every community EVERYWHERE. To think back on how instinct, an animals main function for survival, naturally inclines it to its habitat or environment, proves its significance isn't strictly primitive or physical.

I personally have had 3 encounters with animal spirits this past year, while lucid dreaming. One with a racoon, a cat & ferret, believe it or not, lol. It actually lead me to think along the same lines, that now I can understand that even though there is a lot skepticism between religious faiths arguing anything really, but generally the do's & don'ts, etc. if it is evident not only now, but always has been as far back as people can trace, that yes, animals also share a common divine ancestor, then those that would argue the question or discredit the facts are those that probably 'cant' know for themselves whether this is this or that is that because they have not experienced it.

Personally, as even a devout christian, as a lot of biblical, islamic, buddhist, hindu, etc. beliefs acknowledge animals, you may personally find a lot of the answers out in the field more then written in religious scripture. Its not to negate anything or anyone, but I see how effective combining an accumulative amount of knowledge of the practical, even non-religious, canons can provide a broader image based on the facts & also the evidence of the relationship between people & animals have always shared.

Look through history & science books. It gets deep, so thank God for china, ya know? ;)

SHUVEL'S UP!!!

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

What does your religion have to say about animals?

Are animals equal to humans?

No: humans are a higher level of what we call "kingdoms of creation," these being (in ascending order):

• mineral
  • vegetable
  • animal
  • human
  • Divine Messenger
(God, of course, is infinitely above all of these.)

Do they have souls?

No. Humans do, but not lower orders.

Can they go to heaven or reincarnate?

There IS no "reincarnation," for anyone! It simply doesn't exist.

All humans go on to the Next Life. Animals probably don't, though this isn't explicitly stated.

What is their worth in your religion?

Animals are to be treated well. But that said, they don't share the same status as humans.

Peace, :)

Bruce

known

religious thought seems to agree on treating humans and animals in a way to preserve and honor their lives and existence yet how many of you still drive and pollute and rape the earth of its oil ? how many really practice these beliefs for a sustainable existance for all life. How many trees are cut down daily to reproduce the same "scriptures" that we all have millions of already?

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish

In Buddhism's view, which I tend more toward, an animal can reincarnate or go to one of the afterlife realms because they also have souls and karma. Kemeticism's official view is that animals don't have the same kinds of soul as humans, and may not go to the same kind of afterlife people do. However, many diverge from the official stance and take a view much more like that of Buddhism's, simply because Kemetic religion is so old and it's opinions have changed so many times over millenia. There is no compulsion to accept the so-called "official stances" in Kemetic religion, and Kemetics have many varying ideas. Also, as far as treatment of animals, the gods expect us to treat animals with respect, especially certain animals who are sacred to the gods. No this isn't saying we worship animals, it's saying that we believe some of the gods favor certain animals in a way we might have a favorite food or a favorite sport. The point is, animals are to be treated with respect. Many have said the gods draw them to vegetarianism, and we know the gods originally did not want humans to eat meat, but permit it for our sakes.

Last edited:
In Mormonism, like everything else in its planet, every single living plant, creature and being was created spiritually in all perfection before the fall of Adam. Thus they were in the terrestrial sphere before they enveloped mortal characteristics into the telestial epoch. Along with the fall of Adam, the mortality of all other living species on Earth was made.

When Christ comes to redeem us in His Second Coming, the Earth will also be renewed and all the animals and plants along with it and be resurrected back into its perfected state -- and after the Millenium of this reign, it will be glorified into a celestial state of pure perfection.

"John learned that God glorified Himself by saving all that His hands had made, whether beasts, fowls, fishes or men; and He will glorify Himself with them. Says one, “I cannot believe in the salvation of beasts.” Any man who would tell you that this could not be, would tell you that the revelations are not true. John heard the words of the beasts giving glory to God, and understood them. God who made the beasts could understand every language spoken by them. The four beasts were four of the most noble animals that had filled the measure of their creation, and had been saved from other worlds, because they were perfect: they were like angels in their sphere. We are not told where they came from, and I do not know; but they were seen and heard by John praising and glorifying God."

-- Joseph Smith

I am also vegetarian, and that always colours my perceptions!

"If the question be asked for what Christ died? The answer is, first, He died for all of Adam’s race. Secondly, for all the animal and vegetable productions of the earth, as far as they were affected by the fall of man. The lion, the wolf, the leopard and the bear, and even the serpent, will finally feel and enjoy the effects of this great restoration, precisely in the same degree in which they were affected by the fall. Thirdly, Christ died for the earth itself, to redeem it from all the effects of the fall, that it might be cleansed from sin and have eternal life."

-- Parley Pratt

Last edited by a moderator:

chinu

chinu
What does your religion have to say about animals? Are animals equal to humans?
No they are not equal to humans, but slowely they are upgrading towards human species.
Do they have souls?
Why not.
Can they go to heaven or reincarnate?
They can only go to heaven after reincarnating as an Humanbeings.
"Sachkhand" is called as "Heaven" in "Sikhism".
What is their worth in your religion?
Part of nature.

_/\_Chinu.

iholdit

The bible says animals can sin(Gen 3:1-5) and can be punished for those sins(Gen 3:14-15) and therefore have free will. Animals are subject to some of the same laws as humans such as observing the sabbath(Ex 20:10,Deut 5:14) to be fruitful and multiply(Gen 1:22) and other laws. Animal abuse is a sin(Num 22:22-34). Many animals were made from the ground(Gen 2:19) like man(Gen 2:7). Animals and man both have the same breath(Ecc 3:19) this is the breath of life which makes both animals and man a living soul(Gen 2:7).

genenuega

The bible says animals can sin(Gen 3:1-5) and can be punished for those sins(Gen 3:14-15) and therefore have free will. Animals are subject to some of the same laws as humans such as observing the sabbath(Ex 20:10,Deut 5:14) to be fruitful and multiply(Gen 1:22) and other laws. Animal abuse is a sin(Num 22:22-34). Many animals were made from the ground(Gen 2:19) like man(Gen 2:7). Animals and man both have the same breath(Ecc 3:19) this is the breath of life which makes both animals and man a living soul(Gen 2:7).

Is this from the king james version?

Arkholt

Non-vessel
In Mormonism, like everything else in its planet, every single living plant, creature and being was created spiritually in all perfection before the fall of Adam. Thus they were in the terrestrial sphere before they enveloped mortal characteristics into the telestial epoch. Along with the fall of Adam, the mortality of all other living species on Earth was made.

When Christ comes to redeem us in His Second Coming, the Earth will also be renewed and all the animals and plants along with it and be resurrected back into its perfected state -- and after the Millenium of this reign, it will be glorified into a celestial state of pure perfection.

"John learned that God glorified Himself by saving all that His hands had made, whether beasts, fowls, fishes or men; and He will glorify Himself with them. Says one, “I cannot believe in the salvation of beasts.” Any man who would tell you that this could not be, would tell you that the revelations are not true. John heard the words of the beasts giving glory to God, and understood them. God who made the beasts could understand every language spoken by them. The four beasts were four of the most noble animals that had filled the measure of their creation, and had been saved from other worlds, because they were perfect: they were like angels in their sphere. We are not told where they came from, and I do not know; but they were seen and heard by John praising and glorifying God."

-- Joseph Smith

I am also vegetarian, and that always colours my perceptions!

"If the question be asked for what Christ died? The answer is, first, He died for all of Adam’s race. Secondly, for all the animal and vegetable productions of the earth, as far as they were affected by the fall of man. The lion, the wolf, the leopard and the bear, and even the serpent, will finally feel and enjoy the effects of this great restoration, precisely in the same degree in which they were affected by the fall. Thirdly, Christ died for the earth itself, to redeem it from all the effects of the fall, that it might be cleansed from sin and have eternal life."

-- Parley Pratt

Great summary of LDS beliefs on the subject. Good quotes, too. I've read the Joseph Smith one previously, but I wasn't aware of the Parley Pratt one, so I thank you for sharing it.

It just makes sense to me. The quote from Joseph Smith says that some people may say "I cannot believe in the salvation of beasts." Well, I can't believe in the non-salvation of beasts. I believe that all of God's creations are important to Him, so there's no reason why He wouldn't allow them the same privilege that we have for salvation.