• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animal rights

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
November is not a good month. All the smart people were born in November.

If november is a bad month we may as well wipe it out. Intelligence is overrated. Plus, the smart ones were born in march (don't know where you get your info from...?).

LarryK32

I believe that its all just part of life. Animals are edible so we should be able to eat them. I am COMPLETELY against killing animals for sport and believe that if you take a creature's life nothing should go to waste, unless it was self-defense.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
So how do people view the squashing of bugs whose killings aren't for food, sport, or self-defense (well, maybe in rare cases like some 7 foot dragonfly in Africa or some **** like that)?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
So how do people view the squashing of bugs whose killings aren't for food, sport, or self-defense (well, maybe in rare cases like some 7 foot dragonfly in Africa or some **** like that)?
If I wasn't killing you, but I invaded your home, threatened your family, or kept biting you do you feel you should be able to harm me in self defense? Welcome to a bug's life.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

I try not to kill anything on purpose. I've never liked it when people kill ants for fun (example). Sometimes it is necessary but usually if there is a fly in my house I coax it out the window.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I try not to kill anything on purpose. I've never liked it when people kill ants for fun (example). Sometimes it is necessary but usually if there is a fly in my house I coax it out the window.

I admit I'm generally quick to squash the annoying ********. However, in my defence, I always feel pretty bad afterwards. Especially if I don't kill it on the first blow and they're struggling and limply wriggling around. Some bugs are very resilient to squashing. I try to give them a quick and painless death.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I admit I'm generally quick to squash the annoying ********. However, in my defence, I always feel pretty bad afterwards. Especially if I don't kill it on the first blow and they're struggling and limply wriggling around. Some bugs are very resilient to squashing. I try to give them a quick and painless death.

We all do I guess. And bugs are difficult to feel sympathetic toward considering that they are too small to see their emotions or pain. It doesnt help that they lack any kind of prettiness and cuteness...

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
We all do I guess. And bugs are difficult to feel sympathetic toward considering that they are too small to see their emotions or pain. It doesnt help that they lack any kind of prettiness and cuteness...

If it's just a mosquito, I don't feel bad at all. Worms I feel really sympathetic towards. Same with moths, butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs, cockroaches, caterpillars, armyworms, ants (to a small degree).

I wonder if I'm just barking mad for feeling different levels of sympathy for killing different types of insect or if anyone else is like this lol.

I agree with not killing animals for sport or fun. When it comes to an insect in the house, generally it gets squashed unlike my dog (although he can be foolish and annoying sometimes lol) due to the emotional attachments that can be formed to a dog as opposed to a bug. For killing animals for food I support it also but within limits that depend on how the animal was killed. For example, in some Asian countries it's been well documented that they eat dogs (no problem there) but they kill it in the most painful ways possible and make them scared to death by having their killed fellow dogs tossed on the cages above them and such. I haven't investigated this much to know if it's true about the reasons behind it so see if they are true in all cases or not but methods like this I'm opposed to. Just because an animal, such as a dog is lower than us in the food chain doesn't mean when we kill it that we should kill it in ways whereby we torture it, skin it alive, have them put in cages and toss them off trucks and consequently break their legs, etc... . To me, that is disgusting, barbaric and I debate with myself whether or not I call such individuals a person (they're still a human though). Those methods seem unnecessary as you're killing the animal not for food but as a way to evoke pleasure from doing it.

For animals such as cows and for veal, I'm aware they may not be treated in necessarily the most humane ways all the time but I can live with it. Maybe it's just the cultural view that makes this seem somewhat hypocritical, I'm not entirely sure.

So I do support animal rights, such as the right to live, the right to have proper care, etc... . The main reason is I don't see why they shouldn't be denied these rights when they're in a society that is perfectly capable and many are very willing to give them care and other animal rights. It's not like those who opt to care have to build a palace for the animal, they simply have to provide proper care when they choose to have an animal, otherwise, don't get the animal.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
For animals such as cows and for veal, I'm aware they may not be treated in necessarily the most humane ways all the time but I can live with it. Maybe it's just the cultural view that makes this seem somewhat hypocritical, I'm not entirely sure.

I can assure you that cows undergo immense pain, fear and emotion. They are treated very cruelly and because of the cultural attitudes toward cows, they are given less consideration than a dog would. They reason that say the Chinese kill dogs in a similar manner to how we kill cows is because they see the dog the same way they see the cow. In reality, there is not much difference in how a dog and cow perceive their situation and in my opinion, perception and experience is far more important than anything else.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
@ Malleus. I've seen a YouTube video about a South Korean farm. It actually had footage of the dogs being tortured. Probably taken down by now. They hung the dogs from the ceiling and they'd yelp in pain. I think it's because of some belief that the more pain an animal goes through in death, the tastier its meat is.

@ Malleus. I've seen a YouTube video about a South Korean farm. It actually had footage of the dogs being tortured. Probably taken down by now. They hung the dogs from the ceiling and they'd yelp in pain. I think it's because of some belief that the more pain an animal goes through in death, the tastier its meat is.

I've seen some, perhaps it's the same one you're referring to. In either case, I don't consider such individuals as persons although I do acknowledge they are humans. To me, I don't really care what their reasoning is, it's a disgusting act and they should all be arrested and charged on however many counts of the crimes. I'd also say to add onto their sentence, they cannot own a dog and if they do or willingly have a dog enter their house, then they should be arrested for violating a condition of their conditional release. Any act of harming a dog, if arrested for it, they should get imprisoned also.

I don't know much about the laws in South Korea but I think this should occur and if it is already occuring, then put it to work even more.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen some, perhaps it's the same one you're referring to. In either case, I don't consider such individuals as persons although I do acknowledge they are humans. To me, I don't really care what their reasoning is, it's a disgusting act and they should all be arrested and charged on however many counts of the crimes. I'd also say to add onto their sentence, they cannot own a dog and if they do or willingly have a dog enter their house, then they should be arrested for violating a condition of their conditional release. Any act of harming a dog, if arrested for it, they should get imprisoned also.

I don't know much about the laws in South Korea but I think this should occur and if it is already occuring, then put it to work even more.

Humans all over the world do these kinds of things and worse every day. It's horrible, but we are all capable of it. We just need to believe certain things strong enough. A lot of people throughout history have believed that animals have no sentience and therefore such acts do not seem bad. After all, if you believe that the animal is not actually experiencing anything then are you really a bad person? It comes down to ignorance, in my opinion. I don't limit this to dogs. The western meat industry is barbaric. I have to say, the Chinese seem to top everyone else when it comes to inhumane practices. They eat snakes alive, they skin animals alive and throw then on heaps of other skinned animals while they die slowly. It's awful.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

My experience is the exact opposite. Adrenaline gives meat that "wild taste".

Humans all over the world do these kinds of things and worse every day. It's horrible, but we are all capable of it. We just need to believe certain things strong enough. A lot of people throughout history have believed that animals have no sentience and therefore such acts do not seem bad. After all, if you believe that the animal is not actually experiencing anything then are you really a bad person? It comes down to ignorance, in my opinion. I don't limit this to dogs. The western meat industry is barbaric. I have to say, the Chinese seem to top everyone else when it comes to inhumane practices. They eat snakes alive, they skin animals alive and throw then on heaps of other skinned animals while they die slowly. It's awful.

I agree, we're all capable of such barbaric and brutal acts, and they did occur in history a lot. One fellow who I cite often for other reasons though I can cite here as it's applicable though: Descartes' mind-body problem. He believed that for animals (i.e. non-humans), they lack a mind (which to him included spirit, soul, consciousness, etc...), and so it seemed perfectly fine to torment in his experiments. I say torment because although he didn't intend to sadistically torment them, his experiments were basically grab the animal, strap it down and go for it.

The Chinese certainly have a way of topping people in the most inhumane ways, both for animals as well as for people. It is absolutely awful and in my view, just like the South Koreans who do this, the Chinese who engage in these practices should be arrested on however many counts and be released on a conditional release, whereby if they harm an animal again or own or willingly allow an animal into their home, they get arrested for breaching the terms of their release.

As twisted as it sounds, I always found it quite humourous where when the Chinese or whoever else engage in such practices done to animals, they couldn't give two *****, however, if they see something even remotely similar to fellow humans, they get hysterical. My point: if you're not willing to do it or see it done to fellow humans, you don't do it to fellow animals. To me it seems very cowardice when they do it to animals but even suggest it being done to humans and there's a massive panic and fuss over it.