• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animal rights

xkatz

I was watching Family Guy tonight. One of the major themes of the episode was animal equality. I got me thinking about animal rights. Do you think that the law should give more rights and equality to animals? Why?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
It's a difficult subject. I think animals and humans are all the same and should just live their lives, killing each other for food or to defend their homes/families if they want to. The law says that anyone or anything that kills a human is bad though, so that cannot happen. That means that in order to maintain equality to all animals including humans, no one can kill anything. I think we should be able to kill chickens or cows or whatever if we want, to eat them, but I think lions should be able to kill us and eat us if they want to also.

I don't think people should get pets if they aren't going to love them and take care of them though, and I think anyone who murders animals just for fun should be executed. (somehow bugs are excluded from the category: "animals" because they are gross, scary, and pest-like, and they don't have as distinct personalities as many other animals do.)

Ideally though, I think we should all just live our lives, killing animals only for food or in defense, but allowing other animals to kill humans for the same reason. If you don't like it, don't walk around where you know lions live. (And killing people's pets for food would be a sort of unwritten "DON'T DO," just like you wouldn't kill someone's child for food. or maybe everyone should be up for grabs... Surround yourself with strong allies to protect you and your puppies.)

Morse

To Extinguish
I was watching Family Guy tonight. One of the major themes of the episode was animal equality. I got me thinking about animal rights. Do you think that the law should give more rights and equality to animals? Why?

I could give a better answer if you specified what sort of rights.
Note that I already have one if there isn't really anything you think you could expand on.

xkatz

I could give a better answer if you specified what sort of rights.
Note that I already have one if there isn't really anything you think you could expand on.

Like the basic rights. The right not to be killed, right to exist, protection, ect.

xkatz

and I think anyone who murders animals just for fun should be executed. (somehow bugs are excluded from the category: "animals" because they are gross, scary, and pest-like, and they don't have as distinct personalities as many other animals do.)

I have to agree with you 100% there.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think my sister and I participated in events that lead to the death of a chicken once. We felt really bad about it, and we didn't expect her to be dead. We were just playing and I guess we screwed up. I cannot be certain, but I think we caused her death. She did always have a crooked beak and she never grew like the rest of the chickens did. Perhaps she starved because her beak was screwed up, or maybe she had some sort of disorder that caused her death... We'll never know, but I won't forget her.

xkatz

I think my sister and I participated in events that lead to the death of a chicken once. We felt really bad about it, and we didn't expect her to be dead. We were just playing and I guess we screwed up. I cannot be certain, but I think we caused her death. She did always have a crooked beak and she never grew like the rest of the chickens did. Perhaps she starved because her beak was screwed up, or maybe she had some sort of disorder that caused her death... We'll never know, but I won't forget her.

Don't worry, it was a mistake. I am sure you have and have had good intentions :)

Morse

To Extinguish
Like the basic rights. The right not to be killed, right to exist, protection, ect.

Alright, I was wondering if you were thinking PETA (Instilling a goat as the president) rights or sane rights. I think that animals should not be killed for sport, only for food. The systems humans create cause harm to ecological systems, and other species are incompatible with them. As such, I think that we need to make a conscious effort to keep other species in a natural setting and allow it to stay as it was without or inhibiting systems in place.

So yes, protection, right to exist, right not to be killed (in most circumstances). But I don't think that other species have a right to a place in our system, because as I said earlier, they simply are not compatible.

Its like asking a chair to be a window.

Morse

To Extinguish
I still feel bad though. I guess she would have probably been dead by now anyway though.

We have this diabolic blue chicken at our house. She has been shot like 3 times, and her previous owner gave her to us. As well, after the seven years since we got her, she is the only chicken left alive. Its like, immortal or something.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
We have this diabolic blue chicken at our house. She has been shot like 3 times, and her previous owner gave her to us. As well, after the seven years since we got her, she is the only chicken left alive. Its like, immortal or something.

I think I made a thread about the rooster who used to live at my house. I'll go see if I can find it.

I was getting nervous. I thought you where advocating bestiality with consenting animals of course.

If they could give definite consent, I don't see a problem with it. If people want to do that, and the animals like it, why not? It's not hurting anyone...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What qualities make it not OK to kill other humans but OK to kill animals?
If a human lacked one or more of these qualities would it be OK to kill him?

Would you have any moral objections to mentally or technologically superior extraterrestrials coming down and harvesting humans for food?
If so, and you were not a vegetarian, would your objection not be hypocritical?

MSizer

MSizer
...somehow bugs are excluded from the category: "animals" because they are gross, scary, and pest-like, and they don't have as distinct personalities as many other animals do...
But we don't posess any methods for reading the minds of insects, so to say that isn't I think a well contemplated stance. Kristof Koch, a hugely revered neuroscientist and researcher into conciousness says that he became a vegetarian whe he started studying the minds of animals, and now that he has seen experiments with bees and had learned how intelligent they are, he no longer kills insects indescrimenantly.

You'll probably think I'm nuts, but this summer we had a sudden fly infestation in our kitchen. I tried to catch them and put them outside but it just wasn't happening. So, for personal health reasons, I decided to get fly catchers. I didn't sleep that night out of guilt. Watching those poor things get stuck and struggle into exhaustion was an awful experience. I was very unhappy with myself about it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Johnathan Swift reports babies taste even better. Should we add them to the menu, then?