• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animal rights

Kenaz

I Am
I think that animals should not be killed for sport, only for food. The systems humans create cause harm to ecological systems, and other species are incompatible with them.

Does the current sport of hunting go against this logic? In some areas the deer population is overgrown (at least for HUMAN safety) in that there were so many causing accidents on the roads. The current hunting and wildlife system in place in the U.S.A is not bad, if followed. When I say "followed", I refer to the limit of how many animals (deer in this case) can be shot. This is in fact for sport, and many either eat the meat or donate it to certain programs that give that food to homeless shelters, etc.

Hunting laws and regulations allow to keep the populations at healthy levels, preventing overpopulation which is a concern for human safety (as mentioned above) and are a source of food. I, *personally* also agree that the meat should not be wasted. From a human perspective, I see no problem with this.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wasn't one of the features of the show that the participants be encouraged to use available resources? He saw dinner running around camp and did what was natural and, I would assume, expected.
I trust the good citizens of NZ bringing these charges are all vegetarian. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
If you don't manage wild life, it would be cruel not to harvest a certain amount of animals.

They would out grow their habitat and the majority would starve and the rest would be malnourished and live a short life suffering. Let's keep our deer fat and happy and off the roadways.

Now what gets me going is these hunting ranches. The hunter gets rode around in a golf cart and is placed in a blind where he waits for the ranch hands to herd almost domestically raised animals in front of his gun for huge sums of money.

There would be more sport for me to shoot one of my cattle out in a field. That is not sport!

When you get up at 4 a.m. and climb a mountain and stay real quiet all day long and see nothing and do it all again the next day until just the right moment, that is sport.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
If you think about it, lots of animals hunt other animals for food, and we're all okay with that... It just so happens that humans are really really good at hunting animals, because of all of the inventions they made. They even know how to domesticate them in order to hunt them with hardly any effort. Humans, like lots of other animals, are hunters. They just happen to be extraordinarily good at at, and sometimes do it for fun instead of for food. But so do cats, so it's not a trait unique to humans.

I think hunting for fun is mean, but I don't have the authority to say what is right and wrong. I wouldn't do it, but how can I say it's the wrong thing to do? Like I've said tons of times, there are no actual definite rights and wrongs. Only people's individual opinions. Life isn't fair for everyone/everything. I don't know why everyone expects it to be fair.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think hunting for fun is mean, but I don't have the authority to say what is right and wrong. I wouldn't do it, but how can I say it's the wrong thing to do? Like I've said tons of times, there are no actual definite rights and wrongs. Only people's individual opinions. Life isn't fair for everyone/everything. I don't know why everyone expects it to be fair.

I don't think that anybody expects life to be fair but some of us wish that we could all try our best. Unlike the cat, we have a greater ability for moral consideration. We should try to use it where we can, in my opinion. At least, I think the world would be a better place if humans did this.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
what is and isn't moral is a very foggy topic though. Is eating a chicken moral? You are killing the chicken, but that's just how life works. It's not like you are brutally torturing it just for the fun of it. Ideally, everything could live forever. But if nothing ever killed anything else, there would be a massive over-population. Then everything would run out of resources and die from starvation. I think the best way is to try to keep things as natural as possible. Such as, we can hunt and gather, or make a small subsistence farm, but not domesticate billions of chickens just to kill them and ship them to mc donalds. It's a little too late for that though.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
what is and isn't moral is a very foggy topic though. Is eating a chicken moral? You are killing the chicken, but that's just how life works. It's not like you are brutally torturing it just for the fun of it. Ideally, everything could live forever. But if nothing ever killed anything else, there would be a massive over-population. Then everything would run out of resources and die from starvation. I think the best way is to try to keep things as natural as possible. Such as, we can hunt and gather, or make a small subsistence farm, but not domesticate billions of chickens just to kill them and ship them to mc donalds. It's a little too late for that though.

I agree. I've never had any problem with communities hunting animals for survival but the way we farm animals today is completely inhumane and certainly not natural. Of course humans are the overpopulated species that are causing the most harm now-a-days. Someone should probably kill a bunch of us off to keep nature stable.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I agree. I've never had any problem with communities hunting animals for survival but the way we farm animals today is completely inhumane and certainly not natural. Of course humans are the overpopulated species that are causing the most harm now-a-days. Someone should probably kill a bunch of us off to keep nature stable.

That's what I always say!

Everyone gets assigned a number, based on their birth month. For example, January is 1, February is 2, March is 3, and so on, through December being 12.

I'm an 8, since I was born in August.

What we'll do is put all 12 numbers in a box. Shake it up, and draw out 2 of them. If your number is drawn, you have to die for the good of the world. I hope they don't draw an 8. Or a 9, 10, or 2. Maybe I should make a theoretical one and see if my family and I would survive the massive execution...

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Bush and Obama have been working on it.

It's the best thing for the world. Perhaps people aren't giving them enough credit. They are being very elusive about their true intentions... Really they are just trying to get volunteers to be sacrificed for the population problem... Surprisingly, there are a lot of volunteers......

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
That's what I always say!

Everyone gets assigned a number, based on their birth month. For example, January is 1, February is 2, March is 3, and so on, through December being 12.

I'm an 8, since I was born in August.

What we'll do is put all 12 numbers in a box. Shake it up, and draw out 2 of them. If your number is drawn, you have to die for the good of the world. I hope they don't draw an 8. Or a 9, 10, or 2. Maybe I should make a theoretical one and see if my family and I would survive the massive execution...

As long as it isn't 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9...yeh, anything else is fine. Tragic, but I can live with it (pun intended!).