• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americans ?!?!?

Are you American?

• Yes!

Votes: 54 66.7%
  • No!

Votes: 27 33.3%

• Total voters

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Just curious... For all the Americans that don't want to be American what nationality do you want to be and why?

Great question.

For me, it's not really a question of preferred nationality. If it were, I'd make a greater effort to become the nationality I'd want otherwise. Rather, there are aspects of US socio-political culture that I vehemently disagree with, because it echoes far too greatly the imperialistic attitudes of Rome. They seem so ubiquitous, though, that the term "American" seems basically synonymous with them, here and the world over.

Therefore, I do not identify as American, not in terms of nationality but in terms of personal values, because I do not want to be associated with things I find abhorrent.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Not saying it is like this for anybody here...seems becoming common that it's one more thing which is supposed to conjure up shame/guilt/contempt for a person to be as P.C. and trendy as possible.

The people most vocal about their pride and joy in being American usually started out elsewhere.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I can see what you're saying. Honestly, I share the concern, too. I don't like the concept of PC at all; I find it's used in one of two ways: cover up all differences of all kinds and white-wash all the culture-based horrors of the world; or, as a derogatory term used by racist and sexist folk for those who don't share their views.

Here's how I see it. I'm not a patriot. But, those of you who are patriots, you wave your country's flag high and proud!

And for the record, I'm not proud of the US as a country now. BUT, I do find the image of the Statue of Liberty quite inspiring, knowing what She stands for, truly.

paragon

I'm from the East Coast, *****. Also, screw democracy. **** the system, etc..

amirbarati20100910142845950.jpg

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
If I'm understanding you correctly, I can see what you're saying. Honestly, I share the concern, too. I don't like the concept of PC at all; I find it's used in one of two ways: cover up all differences of all kinds and white-wash all the culture-based horrors of the world; or, as a derogatory term used by racist and sexist folk for those who don't share their views.

Here's how I see it. I'm not a patriot. But, those of you who are patriots, you wave your country's flag high and proud!

And for the record, I'm not proud of the US as a country now. BUT, I do find the image of the Statue of Liberty quite inspiring, knowing what She stands for, truly.

I understand brother...I am a patriot through and through but there is plenty I don't like, even some I hate with a passion. If people have well thought out reasoning for their view, feelings on it - never an issue with me...it's the bandwagon p.c. stuff that "gets me" personally.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm American, though the idea of becoming an expat global citizen seems more appealing with each passing day.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
I am reminded of the dufous Muslims in UK using their right to free speech to demonstrate against free speech.

Tom

Or Westboro Baptist (Bat-s***) Church using their right to free speech to speak hatred against the United States, under police protection no less.