• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americans ?!?!?

Are you American?

• Yes!

Votes: 54 66.7%
  • No!

Votes: 27 33.3%

• Total voters

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Or Westboro Baptist (Bat-s***) Church using their right to free speech to speak hatred against the United States, under police protection no less.

Freedom of speech is well worth the cost of tolerating the voices of those we disagree with. The best way to combat repugnant viewpoints is not with censorship, but with education.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'll guess. The burning of an American flag is to show support for the first ammendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. It is about love, not hate.

How'd I do?

:p

paragon

Well, until some of my biker friends get a hold of them. :p

It means a van full of angry and drunk Marines would like a word with you. :p

This is precisely what freedom is not. It is the complete opposite of freedom, it is slavery. Censorship through the use of threats of violence? Controlling what one does with one's own property, in this case a piece of fabric, on their own soil? That's freedom? If that is the US then hell I'll burn 50 flags.

Causes1.jpg

Flag desecration is often used to express one's dissatisfaction with one's own government laws, policies, or leaders. It's a sad day in America when it's youth have been warped to believe that being "American" involves an undying loyalty to one's government and it's policies, and that the enemy is anyone who happens to disagree with and oppose their government and express this dissatisfaction.

If I were to own a establishment which prided itself in conducting business in an honest and respectable fashion, and it were later hijacked by outside forces which turned into a disgusting practice, but kept my name and logos intact, I would desire to destroy it's symbols.

I'd burn a US flag not because I consider myself "un-American" but because I felt that the American government, it's laws, it's policies, and the current general direction the nation itself is heading towards are themselves unrepresentative of my ideal of what the US should be and what the should be stand for. I'd burn it because the nation doesn't deserve to call the flag it's own because what it has become is an abomination of it's supposed ideal. It has become a sham, and to be content with it is a spit in the face to people to who have sacrificed so much.

But it's okay. If you want to stand behind a dead flag and nod your heads at a TV screen while your leaders lie to you left and right, injecting fear and xenophobia into rest of the masses, have at it.

Last edited:

paragon

Burning a flag isn't very clear. That guys political statement I understand and so is very different.

Tom

So if something isn't very clear in cases such as these do you believe the most civilized course of action would be to physically assault them?

How often do you see someone simply pull out a US flag and incinerate it without any sort of explanation or demonstration beforehand?

As long as it does not break any laws, I have a right to express myself however I see fit. And I don't owe a explanation to anyone anymore than one is required to convince the world that their beliefs are valid in order to hold them.

adi2d

How often do you see someone simply pull out a US flag and incinerate it without any sort of explanation or demonstration beforehand?.

Like you did in this thread? Not often. An explanation would have done much more to showing your point.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'll guess. The burning of an American flag is to show support for the first ammendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. It is about love, not hate.

How'd I do?

:p
More insightful than just those who see only the forest and not the trees.

Twilight Hue

Burning a flag isn't very clear. That guys political statement I understand and so is very different.

Tom

It's the line of communication that is the crux. Burning itself isn't the issue as I see it. It's the motive and intent behind the burning.

adi2d

I burned a flag? When did I burn a flag?

Aside from that, you missed the point completely.

I don't think I missed the point at all

You think flag burning is a valid example of free speech

I think it is spitting in the face of all those who gave you freedom of speech

Believe what you want and I'll do the same

Viker

Häxan
This is precisely what freedom is not. It is the complete opposite of freedom, it is slavery. Censorship through the use of threats of violence? Controlling what one does with one's own property, in this case a piece of fabric, on their own soil? That's freedom? If that is the US then hell I'll burn 50 flags.

Causes1.jpg

Flag desecration is often used to express one's dissatisfaction with one's own government laws, policies, or leaders. It's a sad day in America when it's youth have been warped to believe that being "American" involves an undying loyalty to one's government and it's policies, and that the enemy is anyone who happens to disagree with and oppose their government and express this dissatisfaction.

If I were to own a establishment which prided itself in conducting business in an honest and respectable fashion, and it were later hijacked by outside forces which turned into a disgusting practice, but kept my name and logos intact, I would desire to destroy it's symbols.

I'd burn a US flag not because I consider myself "un-American" but because I felt that the American government, it's laws, it's policies, and the current general direction the nation itself is heading towards are themselves unrepresentative of my ideal of what the US should be and what the should be stand for. I'd burn it because the nation doesn't deserve to call the flag it's own because what it has become is an abomination of it's supposed ideal. It has become a sham, and to be content with it is a spit in the face to people to who have sacrificed so much.

But it's okay. If you want to stand behind a dead flag and nod your heads at a TV screen while your leaders lie to you left and right, injecting fear and xenophobia into rest of the masses, have at it.
Can't take a joke? Git outta ma 'Murica!

Twilight Hue

I don't think I missed the point at all

You think flag burning is a valid example of free speech

I think it is spitting in the face of all those who gave you freedom of speech

Believe what you want and I'll do the same
Honestly Id rather see flag burning than than the flag waving politicians systematically stripping away those same freedoms that men and women died over.

Viker

Häxan
Honestly Id rather see flag burning than than the flag waving politicians systematically stripping away those same freedoms that men and women died over.
Me as well. The worst of flag desecration I've seen has come from politicians wrapping themselves in a flag then crapping on nearly everything it stands for. Happens quite a lot.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I feel every responsible citizen should burn a flag every once in awhile to remind them the power is ultimately ours, and it was rebellion that gave us our nations sovereignty.

Twilight Hue

I feel every responsible citizen should burn a flag every once in awhile to remind them the power is ultimately ours, and it was rebellion that gave us our nations sovereignty.
or even flying it upside down as a sign of distress.

Twilight Hue

To carry a gun makes the statement too.
It does. But you likely would need a permit, background check, and a fee paid in full these days. Of course it only applies to the majority of law abiding citizens seeking firearms.

NOTE:

To all criminals, gangsters, mafia, religious radicals, psychopaths, and what ever dark lurker is viewing this thread. Don't worry. None of the above legalities applies to you making your life easier and less dangerous.