• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ALLAH is GOD in Arabic Bible

Ruh

Aren't we all "people of the book"? All three Abrahamic religions derive from the same source, even if the detailed conceptions of God, or Allah, differ in our different traditions.

(I'm sorry to say that I've forgotten almost all the little Arabic I learned in my time in the Gulf and can no longer read the script.)
True that . It is okay not to know Arabic . You should only be proud to know the core language of your own scripture , that's what you need and what else ?

Searching4God

Big Trev
You can not . The Semitic root of ALLAH is way ancient than the era of Muhammad . Wondering why some Jews and Christian thought the name ALLAH was a cunning act of Muhammad !
The devil manipulated Muhammad. Listening to Muslim scholars decode miracles in the Quran is laughable. Oh, Muhammad predicted the telephone, and all kinds of craziness.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Was reading Arabic Bible - Genesis (تكوين) . The first verse shocks me when I found the name of GOD is written ALLAH (الله) . In the whole chapter there were 31 verses and the name of الله also mentioned 31 times. Checked randomly the chapters from NT and found the same . Here is some examples...

Genesis 1

تكوين 1

1 في البدء خلق الله السموات والارض .

2 وكانت الارض خربة وخالية وعلى وجه الغمر ظلمة وروح الله يرف على وجه المياه .

3 وقال الله ليكن نور فكان نور .

4 وراى الله النور انه حسن . وفصل الله بين النور والظلمة .

5 ودعا الله النور نهارا والظلمة دعاها ليلا . وكان مساء وكان صباح يوما واحدا .

John 1

يوحنا 1

1 في البدء كان الكلمة والكلمة كان عند الله وكان الكلمة الله.

2 هذا كان في البدء عند الله.

3 كل شيء به كان وبغيره لم يكن شيء مما كان.

4 فيه كانت الحياة والحياة كانت نور الناس.

5 والنور يضيء في الظلمة والظلمة لم تدركه

6 كان انسان مرسل من الله اسمه يوحنا.

Ruh.

belated welcome to RF

allahu akbar

Terry Sampson

It was just an inherent system of GOD to send prophets in different tribes..
That makes sense to me. But wouldn't you think that, if it's the same God sending different prophets to different tribes, He'd make sure there's sufficient consistency among the stories?

Terry Sampson

True unless human and time manipulated that .
That's a bold thought.
Personally, I subscribe to a theory of revelation and theology described by Conservative Jew, Benjamin D. Sommer (Professor of Bible and Ancient Semitic Languages, The Jewish Theological Seminary, New York). In Sommer's book, Revelation and Authority (2015), he proposes using
  • "the terms “participatory theory of revelation” and “participatory theology” to speak of approaches to revelation that view the Pentateuch (and Jewish tradition generally) as the result of a dialogue between God and Israel. According to the participatory theology, the Pentateuch not only conveys God’s will but also reflects Israel’s interpretation of and response to that will. This view of revelation puts a premium on human agency and gives witness to the grandeur of a God who accomplishes a providential task through the free will of human subjects under God’s authority. We may contrast participatory theologies with a better-known view of revelation, which [Sommer terms] “the stenographic theory of revelation.” According to the latter theory, God dictated all the words of the Pentateuch to Moses, and Moses recorded God’s words without altering them. In the stenographic theory, all the words of the Pentateuch are God’s. In the participatory theory, the wording in the Pentateuch is a joint effort involving heavenly and earthly contributions; or the wording may be an entirely human response to God’s real but nonverbal revelation. Especially in the second chapter of this book, I argue that the Pentateuch itself gives voice to both stenographic and participatory theologies of revelation." (Page 2)
Sommer uses his terms specifically when he discusses and refers to Hebrew texts. I like and accept Sommer's terms. And I keep them in mind when reading the traditional Christian scriptures.

The question is: is your view of the Qur'an as flexible as my view of the traditional Hebrew and Christian scriptures?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
True that . It is okay not to know Arabic . You should only be proud to know the core language of your own scripture , that's what you need and what else ?
That poses something of a problem, as that core language is Greek. I can read Greek script but only remember a few words of it. I can do better in Latin, into which the Greek was translated, but I would struggle to read scripture in Latin. In practice we rely on translations into our own languages. And there are many translations, each a bit different, so it pays to have access to more than one, in order to check for variations in interpretation.

When I lived in Dubai, in the 1980s, I sometimes used to watch a TV series devoted to explaining the Koran in English to non-muslims. The fascinating thing to me was that I found listening to the speaker reciting verses in Arabic was quite hypnotic, even though I did not understand the words. I became convinced that the Koran is a kind of poetry and needs to be appreciated in its own language. Do you think there is any truth in that?

(The attempts made to translate it and explain always seemed rather vague and unsatisfactory, unfortunately. I suspect a lot was lost in the translation.)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I heard from so many Jews n Christians that ALLAH is not GOD and/or Muhammad invented the name ALLAH etc.Hence feeling surprised about those accusations ...
Actually, what they have said (although someone may have said it the way you said it) its that the Allah of the Koran is not the same God of the Bible... (although those of the Tannakh would probably say the same thing to the Christians)

HOWEVER, certainly the Allah of the Koran is definitely different from both Christians and Jews IMU.