• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ALLAH is GOD in Arabic Bible

Ruh

Was reading Arabic Bible - Genesis (تكوين) . The first verse shocks me when I found the name of GOD is written ALLAH (الله) . In the whole chapter there were 31 verses and the name of الله also mentioned 31 times. Checked randomly the chapters from NT and found the same . Here is some examples...

Genesis 1

تكوين 1

1 في البدء خلق الله السموات والارض .

2 وكانت الارض خربة وخالية وعلى وجه الغمر ظلمة وروح الله يرف على وجه المياه .

3 وقال الله ليكن نور فكان نور .

4 وراى الله النور انه حسن . وفصل الله بين النور والظلمة .

5 ودعا الله النور نهارا والظلمة دعاها ليلا . وكان مساء وكان صباح يوما واحدا .

John 1

يوحنا 1

1 في البدء كان الكلمة والكلمة كان عند الله وكان الكلمة الله.

2 هذا كان في البدء عند الله.

3 كل شيء به كان وبغيره لم يكن شيء مما كان.

4 فيه كانت الحياة والحياة كانت نور الناس.

5 والنور يضيء في الظلمة والظلمة لم تدركه

6 كان انسان مرسل من الله اسمه يوحنا.

Ruh.

Ruh

I heard from so many Jews n Christians that ALLAH is not GOD and/or Muhammad invented the name ALLAH etc.Hence feeling surprised about those accusations ...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I heard from so many Jews n Christians that ALLAH is not GOD and/or Muhammad invented the name ALLAH etc.Hence feeling surprised about those accusations ...
Yes, I believe some are under the impression that All-h is/was a moon god. Not sure why this is; the etymology of this word is pretty clear.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Still, in linguistic terms, Allah means God, so that's how it's translated. In theological terms, there's a debate whether or not the Muslim depiction of Allah is the same entity as the Jewish or Christian depictions.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Was reading Arabic Bible - Genesis (تكوين) . The first verse shocks me when I found the name of GOD is written ALLAH (الله) . In the whole chapter there were 31 verses and the name of الله also mentioned 31 times. Checked randomly the chapters from NT and found the same . Here is some examples...

Genesis 1

تكوين 1

1 في البدء خلق الله السموات والارض .

2 وكانت الارض خربة وخالية وعلى وجه الغمر ظلمة وروح الله يرف على وجه المياه .

3 وقال الله ليكن نور فكان نور .

4 وراى الله النور انه حسن . وفصل الله بين النور والظلمة .

5 ودعا الله النور نهارا والظلمة دعاها ليلا . وكان مساء وكان صباح يوما واحدا .

John 1

يوحنا 1

1 في البدء كان الكلمة والكلمة كان عند الله وكان الكلمة الله.

2 هذا كان في البدء عند الله.

3 كل شيء به كان وبغيره لم يكن شيء مما كان.

4 فيه كانت الحياة والحياة كانت نور الناس.

5 والنور يضيء في الظلمة والظلمة لم تدركه

6 كان انسان مرسل من الله اسمه يوحنا.

Ruh.

Aren't we all "people of the book"? All three Abrahamic religions derive from the same source, even if the detailed conceptions of God, or Allah, differ in our different traditions.

(I'm sorry to say that I've forgotten almost all the little Arabic I learned in my time in the Gulf and can no longer read the script.)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Replacing اللَّهِ with يهوه :shrug:
Google tells me this is the Arabic way of writing the Tetragrammaton. The problem is that the first time God appears in the Bible is under the name "Elo-him" which is spelled completely different from the Tetragram.

Ruh

What would you expect it to say instead?
You can not . The Semitic root of ALLAH is way ancient than the era of Muhammad . Wondering why some Jews and Christian thought the name ALLAH was a cunning act of Muhammad !

Ruh

Google tells me this is the Arabic way of writing the Tetragrammaton. The problem is that the first time God appears in the Bible is under the name "Elo-him" which is spelled completely different from the Tetragram.
That is true .

Tumah

Veteran Member
You can not . The Semitic root of ALLAH is way ancient than the era of Muhammad . Wondering why some Jews and Christian thought the name ALLAH was a cunning act of Muhammad !
I know. All-h is a combination of al ilah. Ilah comes from the Semitic root alif-lam-ha. The word that it's replacing in Genesis also comes from that root. It's spelled alif lam ha ya mim

Reactions: Ruh

Ruh

Yes, I believe some are under the impression that All-h is/was a moon god. Not sure why this is; the etymology of this word is pretty clear.
Yeah , despite its been clarified by the text itself:

[041:037] And from among His Signs are the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. Prostrate not to the sun nor to the moon, but prostrate to Allah Who created them, if you (really) worship Him.