• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Religions - Heaven = Running back to the nest, No Life

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
One thing i am not going to do is to stoop to personal insults - then it means i have lost the discussion, i am upset and am lashing out. Please do not reply to my posts ever again. thanks
Sorry, but your response ignored the question I asked you (twice) and you just went on with your spiel. Never mind, let's drop it here.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Frustrated with the lack of imagination - you heard somewhere that we get reborn as bugs and you blindly repeat it - talk about religious brainwashing - i increasingly find even Atheists are not immune to it
If you do not wish for life, then you won't have it - no one is going to force life on you - seems like your hatred of religion has made you convince yourself that way is the best. Life is not about religion - the ancients who proposed that we are reborn were not Hindus at that time, they were just people living in India and there was no Hinduism then, these are just ideas of what Life is - so please, don't make decisions based on your hatred of religion, you are not subscribing to any religion if you wish for rebirth. Ultimately it is about you - what you want
As for being reborn as bugs - that is only if you wish to be born as such - and why would anyone in their right mind want to be reborn as bugs? To me, those are those who wish for a heaven - a nice comfy life without any problems or worries - a bug has few worries - it has a nice comfy life short as it might be
As for your last sentence, we have it much better today than our ancestors - i think the plague killed off 50-70% of the European population - they survived that. Giving up is easy, fighting is hard
Hi , yes my life is very good , however is my comfort worth the suffering of say those people that died in Syria today.
The system creates many victims each day , just sometimes find the whole idea a little disgusting .
I am very strong , so strong my concern more often favours the well being of others .

RamaRaksha

Sorry, but your response ignored the question I asked you (twice) and you just went on with your spiel. Never mind, let's drop it here.
And when did i patiently not answer anyone's question? Lots of answers and questions to my post and i feel i have answered all of them and sometimes you can get the answer based on the posts

All the answers to your questions is buried in the opening post - there is no heaven, no hell, no astral plane - it is a metaphor - just as people hoping for the "good old days" - nostalgia - but actually the good old days WERE true, they were true because we were kids then and as kids most of us had a happy life - it's the nest again - we were protected, sheltered, cared for, fed, clothed, bathed, had few worries - it was like living in a bubble and that is what heaven is - wanting to go back to living in a bubble - a child for eternity, looking for a Sugar Daddy to make it happen

God deserves better

Life is ALL there is - what you see before you is ALL there is - there are no magic lands in the sky - it is my personal opinion, of course, you are free to think otherwise

But i love Life - just as it is - warts and all - I feel Life is a Gift and Reincarnation means i get to savor this Gift over and over!

RamaRaksha

Hi , yes my life is very good , however is my comfort worth the suffering of say those people that died in Syria today.
The system creates many victims each day , just sometimes find the whole idea a little disgusting .
I am very strong , so strong my concern more often favours the well being of others .

Good to hear that and do you think you can do something to help those in Syria. You don't have to look faraway - the other day a young girl asked me for some help in the chilly chicago cold - was this young girl always this way? Maybe at one time she had a happy family - a father who doted on her, school and happy childhood days. And then maybe her father died, and some time later her mother starts dating another guy. A guy who starts abusing her and her mother chooses to look the other way and so this kid leaves home and takes to the streets. Just thinking about it breaks my heart

And this is just one sad story - millions like these all over the globe and let's not get started on how animals are abused

The thing is that if people like you choose to stay, we can fight this - we can make this a better world - we think we have it bad today but the past was much harsher, much more terrible - at the end of the day that is the teaching of Reincarnation - not that it is true, but it is asking us to choose a state of mind. Many Hindus run away from life, they think renunciation of life will lead to a happy afterlife. We have Terrorism today thanks to people running away from life and thinking God will reward them with heaven. Take away heaven, tell them that they will be reborn in this same world, nothing is going to change unless they are willing to fight for it and maybe Terrorism will be no more

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
And when did i patiently not answer anyone's question? Lots of answers and questions to my post and i feel i have answered all of them and sometimes you can get the answer based on the posts

All the answers to your questions is buried in the opening post - there is no heaven, no hell, no astral plane - it is a metaphor - just as people hoping for the "good old days" - nostalgia - but actually the good old days WERE true, they were true because we were kids then and as kids most of us had a happy life - it's the nest again - we were protected, sheltered, cared for, fed, clothed, bathed, had few worries - it was like living in a bubble and that is what heaven is - wanting to go back to living in a bubble - a child for eternity, looking for a Sugar Daddy to make it happen

God deserves better

Life is ALL there is - what you see before you is ALL there is - there are no magic lands in the sky - it is my personal opinion, of course, you are free to think otherwise

But i love Life - just as it is - warts and all - I feel Life is a Gift and Reincarnation means i get to savor this Gift over and over!
I guess we are better off then not talking to each other (per your previous request).

Corthos

Great Old One
Not really - we get life, warts and all - pain and suffering accompanies life -whereas heaven sounds too good to be true - nothing to do, a Sugar Daddy God who will take care of our comforts, enjoy the good life? The difference is night and day or as i posted the diff between remaining a child forever in the nest or venturing out and becoming an adult - please re-read my original post again

At first I thought I had just explained myself in a way that you misconstrued due to the vague/allusive way I sometimes speak/structure sentences (I've always considered myself a poet at heart, though that's not always a good thing, hehe), but I'm beginning to wonder if you are purposeful taking my words out of context to fit them to your narrative/agenda...

And when did i patiently not answer anyone's question? Lots of answers and questions to my post and i feel i have answered all of them

Please address my points in post #35 when you get the chance (I realize there's a lot to go through there, so there's no rush).

RamaRaksha

At first I thought I had just explained myself in a way that you misconstrued due to the vague/allusive way I sometimes speak/structure sentences (I've always considered myself a poet at heart, though that's not always a good thing, hehe), but I'm beginning to wonder if you are purposeful taking my words out of context to fit them to your narrative/agenda...

If i speak in a way that others might find it tough to understand i don't mock them for not understanding them - it works in reverse also - maybe i am not so bright - maybe they are answering my questions and i am not getting it

We are different people, we view life differently - we can leave it at that instead of talking about some agendas

RamaRaksha

I'd like to know why you draw these conclusions... What literature have you read that leads you to believe this happened? Links would be nice. =)

Hmmm... Possibly. Though, keep in mind that there are other religions with paradise themes that have no such stipulations on suicide.

I doubt it. Parsis have a paradise belief, though the amount of terrorism they inflict on the world is nearly non existent (if at all). I feel it has FAR more to do with scripture, and with fundamentalism - notice the more fundamental denominations in these religions are the ones doing these acts of terror.

(by Reg do you mean regular?) I feel you may have misunderstood me here. What I was referring to was a Zoroastrian thread I was reading a while back that someone had written on a different forum, and NO other Zoroastrians I have talked to had these beliefs (Not traditional, Parsi, or Gathic) - let me try to clarify what I remember (having a hard time remembering how I got to the thread, otherwise I would link it for you).

What they were discussing was that, since Good Deeds are one of the three concepts that Zoroastrianism focuses on, it would only make sense that in death our souls would still continually help people/the world/universe in the afterlife.... They seemed to talk about how THAT is why ghost sightings existed (spirits doing good things in this world). Seems like a stretch to me (meaning, I don't believe it). =/

No, their concept was more Gathic. Many Gathic Zoroastrias (at least as far as I know) see "heaven" as a state of mind, rather than some physical realm. I'm studying up on that more as I'm still a Zoroastrian newb, so don't take what I say as a literal truth (I could be wrong... Need to research more).

On the contrary, they thought that in the afterlife those who were in a good state of mind would naturally want to help out those in the real world; this is why it seemed beautiful to me (though, their total concept seemed unlikely, as "ghosts" aren't really a Zoroastrian concept as far as I know). =)

Let me reiterate - those are not my personal beliefs; in fact, no Zoroastrians I know believe what I stated above. My beliefs are vague, and I'm still trying to figure things out for myself. Right now, personally, I believe that there is more to life after death, and I believe life/the world/universe is constantly progressing in a positive way (in the general sense, as suffering is still rampant in the world) - as long as people strive to do the right thing. As I said before, what happens after I die is an afterthought.

Ragnarok is the "Doom of the Gods" - Apocalypse.

Essentially, when good/honorable warriors die in combat, some of them are taken to Valhalla (the great hall - a paradise) to eat, drink, be merry, and prepare for Ragnarok. Eventually, a whole bunch of crazy apocalyptic stuff happens (read up if you want specifics - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarök), and Ragnarok unfolds. Many Gods and people (and people's souls who join the fight) perish in an epic battle, and everything pretty much dies/is destroyed. Almost nothing is left. The land sinks into the depths of the ocean, and then it resurfaces. A new world sprouts, new Gods are born, there are two people left (man and woman), and the cycle of life begins all over again.

At least, that is my understanding. =)

Hopefully i can get to all the questions - as to the first question - you already know about Reincarnation - to me the concept was misunderstood back in the day, life was pretty tough and people were weakened by life and naturally hoped for a nicer after life. So it is a different way of thinking - the coward and the warrior don't see the impending war the same way - all the coward sees is blood and pain and looks for the first opportunity to run away and religions were happy to fill that need with a magical heaven, whereas the warrior sees a chance to be a hero, save his people. I believe the concept of Reincarnation was the latter - no running away to magical lands of plenty, no Sugar Daddy Gods

I do get a bit frustrated with blindly reading ancient books - you do realize that these books were put together? by people? If i were to be born a 1,000 years ago and wrote down what i write now, it will be accepted as the Truth? The ancients wrote down laws and morals the best way they understood them, that fit their way of life - it seems we have advanced in so many ways but as far as religion goes we blindly follow old ideas that don't fit our way of life, that are out of date

As for Suicide - i can't answer for everyone - no one can - there a million different interpretations and ideas - if a certain idea has to address all ideas out there, then nothing will be said. Yes the more fundamental - these are Master/Slave religions born when Kings ruled - they were masters of their land and must be obeyed unconditionally - slaves are all about the reward - heaven - the most callous thing that these people do is to condemn the rest of humanity to hell - we are talking good people with loved ones and families but that doesn't matter - you do not kneel to our master, you must be punished. Hence Terrorism - the preacher says God commands you to do this - they do it

As for helping out it seems similar to praying - basically talking without doing anything. Don't you think helping would mean that you would have to be down here? Not somewhere up there? And if helping is the goal, how come you are not reborn? Why stay away and talk about helping? How exactly is this help being done? Is there any evidence of such help? Seems like you want to have your cake and eat it too - not be involved with the problems of life but just talk about helping - pat yourself on the back as if you are doing stuff

If you choose Reincarnation - you are not just helping, you are down here with us - undergoing the same pain and suffering as everyone else - that, unfortunately has been the problem and has given rise to heavens above - as you posted warriors get to eat, drink and be merry? They don't need to help? What happened to all this talk of helping?

More war and killing - even in the after life? Sounds just like real life to me - you can't have your cake and eat it too

Corthos

Great Old One
Ok, thank you. =)

Hopefully i can get to all the questions - as to the first question - you already know about Reincarnation - to me the concept was misunderstood back in the day, life was pretty tough and people were weakened by life and naturally hoped for a nicer after life. So it is a different way of thinking - the coward and the warrior don't see the impending war the same way - all the coward sees is blood and pain and looks for the first opportunity to run away and religions were happy to fill that need with a magical heaven, whereas the warrior sees a chance to be a hero, save his people. I believe the concept of Reincarnation was the latter - no running away to magical lands of plenty, no Sugar Daddy Gods

Seems odd to base an opinion on an opinion without proof, but meh, oh well. XD Let me tell you the main reasons why your idea doesn't sit well with me (personally)....

What you seem to be saying is that since all cowards are concerned with selfishly avoiding hardships, and all of those who selfishly want to avoid hardships would believe that a paradise existed after death, then all who believe that a paradise exists after death are cowards.

Let's use that same logic with something else.

If all people eat vegetables, and all vegetables are healthy, then all people are healthy. =/

Logic like that doesn't take into account all of the different variables that go into something as complex as a person's beliefs and their frame of mind.

Not only that, but you are giving way too much significance to just one aspect out of many that a religion adheres to. Many people follow a religion simply because it's what they grew up with (it's their culture), or it's teachings give them inspiration. Many just accept their paradise doctrine because it doesn't truly matter to them (they just don't give a damn about it). To say a person/religion is fundamentally screwed up because of one aspect (that ultimately only effects the weak to begin with) seems disingenuous...

Look at Gandhi. He inspired great men like Martin Luther King, and gave a TRUE voice to non-violent activism. The world is a better place because of him. He was also obsessed with celibacy because it wasn't good for men to drain themselves of their "vital fluids"... He would even sometimes work this weird obsession with bodily fluids into his sermons. XD The fact Gandhi had that weird obsession doesn't diminish his effect on the world in any real way... =)

I do get a bit frustrated with blindly reading ancient books - you do realize that these books were put together? by people? If i were to be born a 1,000 years ago and wrote down what i write now, it will be accepted as the Truth? The ancients wrote down laws and morals the best way they understood them, that fit their way of life - it seems we have advanced in so many ways but as far as religion goes we blindly follow old ideas that don't fit our way of life, that are out of date

I hear you there. =)

Personally, I would say that the Gathas are timeless, but I'm not unbiased. XD (though, to be fair, they felt that way to me even after I blindly read them, hehe)

As for Suicide - i can't answer for everyone - no one can - there a million different interpretations and ideas - if a certain idea has to address all ideas out there, then nothing will be said. Yes the more fundamental - these are Master/Slave religions born when Kings ruled - they were masters of their land and must be obeyed unconditionally - slaves are all about the reward - heaven - the most callous thing that these people do is to condemn the rest of humanity to hell - we are talking good people with loved ones and families but that doesn't matter - you do not kneel to our master, you must be punished. Hence Terrorism - the preacher says God commands you to do this - they do it

Hmmmm... Keep in mind that fundamentalism even exists in Hinduism. Reward has little to do with it, as it's more about dogma and following scriptures blindly than anything else. Unfortunately, I've seen what this does first hand, as I grew up going to some fundamentalist churches. XP

As for helping out it seems similar to praying - basically talking without doing anything. Don't you think helping would mean that you would have to be down here? Not somewhere up there? And if helping is the goal, how come you are not reborn? Why stay away and talk about helping? How exactly is this help being done? Is there any evidence of such help? Seems like you want to have your cake and eat it too - not be involved with the problems of life but just talk about helping - pat yourself on the back as if you are doing stuff

Actually, the way they described it was more as a supernatural intervention... There was no "up there".

Remember, again, that those are NOT my beliefs. I like the idea of helping people after death, but their ideas of ghost powers were very un-Gathic. Good questions, though, which is why I didn't take them too seriously. XD As for having my "cake and eating it too": honestly, I don't give a damn. What happens to me when I die is irrelevant, whether it's reincarnation (which I highly doubt exists) or some kind of Abrahamic paradise (which I also don't believe in). ;)

If you choose Reincarnation - you are not just helping, you are down here with us - undergoing the same pain and suffering as everyone else - that, unfortunately has been the problem and has given rise to heavens above - as you posted warriors get to eat, drink and be merry? They don't need to help? What happened to all this talk of helping?

More war and killing - even in the after life? Sounds just like real life to me - you can't have your cake and eat it too

The point with Ragnarok was to show you that there are afterlife doctrines that are more "hardcore" than reincarnation (after all, anyone who believes in Ragnarok assumes their afterlife is temporary, and they will lose in the end) . XD Honestly, basing an entire belief system on whether or not an afterlife doctrine is one way or the other seems silly to me... I don't concern myself with what might be, but instead I concern myself with what is... With what we do in THIS life. =)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. whereas heaven sounds too good to be true - nothing to do, a Sugar Daddy God who will take care of our comforts, enjoy the good life?
If one believes in God, soul, reincarnation, reward and punishment - then, heaven and hell are necessary corollaries.

Watchmen

Premium Member
When i hear the concept of Heaven - endless days of joy and happiness, i think of the famous proverb - "if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is" - that describes heaven

Heaven is a fantasy. Heaven is a metaphor for the womb, childhood, the past, running back to the nest. Childhood, the womb was a wonderful time for us - we were cared for, protected, sheltered, fed, kept away from the problems of life - basically we lived in a bubble

Basically heaven is just that - a bubble.

I was watching a nature documentary the other day - this mouse like creature living in the Australian desert, a young thing - while its mother was out hunting, curious unlike its siblings, ventures out of the nest. It gets lost as it gets attacked by an owl - somehow learns to fend for itself by learning to catch and eat bugs - does that for a while and then suddenly one day it finds itself right back home! There is the little entrance to its former home, his mother and siblings waiting for him inside - safety and security at last! But then the creature stops, doesn't go inside! Instead it turns around and makes its way into the world!

That creature has learnt what its siblings will also one day, as we all have also - that we cannot be children all our lives, that our parents cannot provide and protect us forever - that we have to grow up sometime - become Adults, make a life for ourselves

That's the problem with heaven - it is a metaphor for running back to the safety of the nest, but why didn't the little creature not do that? Instead of safety, security and happiness it chose danger, having to stand on its own two feet - because the latter meant having a life! Choosing Heaven means saying goodbye to not having a life, choosing to stay a child forever, forever afraid to grow up

From an LDS perspective, Heaven may mean eternal progression. No bubble. Just learning and learning and growing and gaining experience until one day you are "like God." What do you think of that kind of Heaven?

Tabu

When i hear the concept of Heaven - endless days of joy and happiness, i think of the famous proverb - "if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is" - that describes heaven

Heaven is a fantasy. Heaven is a metaphor for the womb, childhood, the past, running back to the nest. Childhood, the womb was a wonderful time for us - we were cared for, protected, sheltered, fed, kept away from the problems of life - basically we lived in a bubble

Basically heaven is just that - a bubble.

I was watching a nature documentary the other day - this mouse like creature living in the Australian desert, a young thing - while its mother was out hunting, curious unlike its siblings, ventures out of the nest. It gets lost as it gets attacked by an owl - somehow learns to fend for itself by learning to catch and eat bugs - does that for a while and then suddenly one day it finds itself right back home! There is the little entrance to its former home, his mother and siblings waiting for him inside - safety and security at last! But then the creature stops, doesn't go inside! Instead it turns around and makes its way into the world!

That creature has learnt what its siblings will also one day, as we all have also - that we cannot be children all our lives, that our parents cannot provide and protect us forever - that we have to grow up sometime - become Adults, make a life for ourselves

That's the problem with heaven - it is a metaphor for running back to the safety of the nest, but why didn't the little creature not do that? Instead of safety, security and happiness it chose danger, having to stand on its own two feet - because the latter meant having a life! Choosing Heaven means saying goodbye to not having a life, choosing to stay a child forever, forever afraid to grow up
We believe there are two destinations for souls
1. The Heaven , which is The Golden age , where people live in harmony , happiness , joy ,love , bliss .
2. The Soul world , which is a peaceful home of inactivity , where the souls reside in peace until being called to play their roles.
The little creature didn't run back to safety because it wasn't tired yet , and believed there was more adventure, excitement and amusement ahead.
The same is true for Humans , once we are exhausted playing , and amusing ourselves with self destruction , once we turn this garden into an uninhabitable jungle , we will call on God to return us back home .

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

A religion's concept of An/ Sky/ Heaven needn't have anything to do with fantastical afterlives, paradise simulations, or anything supernatural.

Last edited by a moderator:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A religion's concept of An/ Sky/ Heaven needn't have anything to do with fantastical afterlives, paradise simulations, or anything supernatural.

What about Earth ?
Seems as if 'everlasting life living on Earth forever' is often left out of the future picture.
In the Bible, Jesus promised people ' Earth ' as a forever future home - Matthew 5:5
Earth will become a beautiful paradisical Earth as the Garden of Eden originally was.
Earth's nations will be healed - Revelation 22:2 - and No more death on Earth - 1 Corinthians 15:26
Enemy death will be swallowed up forever - Isaiah 25:8

ronandcarol

Premium Member
All Religions - Heaven = Running back to the nest, No Life
It is only with Heaven that you will find life! When you are in Heaven you have not tasted the 2nd death, instead, you are found walking on streets paved with gold. An eternity will not be enough time to praise the one true God who sent His Son to take our sin-death and offer us eternal salvation instead. The resurrection of Jesus defeated death for all who put their trust in Him.
Choosing Heaven means saying goodbye to not having a life, choosing to stay a child forever, forever afraid to grow up.
In choosing Heaven, you are choosing LIFE, you are choosing to be a Child of the One True God, anxious to grow more and more as a child in Christ.

ronandcarol