• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Alabama Christian Lobby Argues Classroom Yoga Would Violate Establishment Clause"

Good-Ole-Rebel

You keep on asserting that like a mantra. And you keep on failing to argue that.
Repeating something so often that everybody will believe it only works if it isn't refuted as often.

The same question keeps being asked....like a mantra.

I have given the reasons and supported it.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

So,
if they did the same routine, but called it something else, you'd be OK with it?
Tom

I sure would....as long as they allow Bible study as an elective to choose from also. Of course it would not be seen as a religious exercise as it would fall under 'academic only'. Yes, I know, it is still Bible study, but at least we threw some white wash on it.

Just think, I could be teaching the Bible in a public school.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Heyo

Veteran Member
I sure would....as long as they allow Bible study as an elective to choose from also. Of course it would not be seen as a religious exercise as it would fall under 'academic only'. Yes, I know, it is still Bible study, but at least we threw some white wash on it.

Just think, I could be teaching the Bible in a public school.

Good-Ole-Rebel
You can use the Bible (Qur'an, Bhagavad Gita, Tao Te Ching) as a subject in a literature course.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You can use the Bible (Qur'an, Bhagavad Gita, Tao Te Ching) as a subject in a literature course.

At times it would be literary. At times it would be history. At times it would be science. The point is it would be an elective to be taught academically.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

It has already been shown that it doesn't matter if yoga is or is not a religious exercise. Either way, HB 235 doesn't violate the First Amendment.

Yoga is a religious exercise. Yoga is being offered to be taught into the Alabama public school. That violates the First Amendment.

It is already illegal to teach yoga in Alabama public schools.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I don't know. Should they?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Native Americans played it as a way to honor the Creator. If Yoga, despite being removed from its spiritual association and used as a strength and stretching exercise, should be banned because of its roots, then shouldn't lacrosse?

I don't think it should, personally.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yoga is a religious exercise, which has already been shown.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Ya know,
I'd be fine with banning yoga and lacrosse if it shut up the Christians who want to introduce creation science and Bible study to public schools.
Think that will happen?
Tom

Ponder This

Yoga is a religious exercise. Yoga is being offered to be taught into the Alabama public school. That violates the First Amendment.

It is already illegal to teach yoga in Alabama public schools.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You are wrong about a violation of the First Amendment, as we have already discussed ad nausea.

It is clear that the law preventing yoga isn't a good law and should be replaced with HB 235.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Native Americans played it as a way to honor the Creator. If Yoga, despite being removed from its spiritual association and used as a strength and stretching exercise, should be banned because of its roots, then shouldn't lacrosse?

I don't think it should, personally.

Neither do I. It is not a religious exercise.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

You are wrong about a violation of the First Amendment, as we have already discussed ad nausea.

It is clear that the law preventing yoga isn't a good law and should be replaced with HB 235.

No, I am right. Yoga is a religious exercise.

The law preventing yoga is a good law. How about letting the state of Alabama vote on it? That way you can by pass (ignore) Federal Law. Let the majority of parents decide.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Ponder This

No, I am right. Yoga is a religious exercise.

The law preventing yoga is a good law. How about letting the state of Alabama vote on it? That way you can by pass (ignore) Federal Law. Let the majority of parents decide.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You are wrong because, it doesn't matter if yoga is a religious exercise. You can keep repeating "yoga is a religious exercise; yoga should not be in schools" like a mantra all you like :rolleyes:, but you aren't adding anything new to the discussion by doing so.

FYI, these are state laws (not federal laws) that are at issue.

And, yes, I like the idea of letting parents decide, which turns out to be another reason to support HB 235 over the previous law!

Peace.