• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Alabama Christian Lobby Argues Classroom Yoga Would Violate Establishment Clause"

Skwim

Veteran Member

It was just a matter of time.

"The Alabama State Board of Education says it’s part of a prohibition on “the use of hypnosis and dissociative mental states” that also covers now-common practices like guided imagery and meditation. (It can, however, be taught in high school physical education classes as long as nobody uses the y-word.)

shutterstock_458892736.jpg

The concerns represented by the current state of the law are outdated. Meditative practices like mindfulness and guided imagery have been studied intensively and found to offer plenty of benefits in areas like stress-reduction, focus, and self-awareness. Yoga provides all this and more, helping children hone developing physical skills like balance, endurance, flexibility, and strength.

So State Rep. Jeremy Gray, a Democrat, has introduced HB 235 to reverse the ban on yoga in particular.

Since the bill’s introduction in February, a local Christian advocacy group has come forward in opposition, arguing — get this — that yoga in schools would violate the Establishment Clause.

The charge against HB 235 is being led by Dr. Joe Godfrey, executive director of Alabama Citizens’ Action Program (ALCAP), a local group lobbying for evangelical Christians’ interests in the legislature.

Godfrey admits that his own daughter laughed at his concerns, but he remains adamant that yoga is a religious practice that must not be taught in the classroom:

You can’t separate the exercises from the religious meditation aspect of it. This is Hinduism, straight up. What you’re doing is blatantly teaching a religious exercise that would violate the Establishment Clause.

I promise you no student has ever walked out of a yoga class pledging allegiance to Shiva or Vishnu.

The argument is laughable for other reasons. Good News Clubs evangelizing children? Courses on Bible literacy? School-sponsored baptism? All fine and dandy, according to these people.

A secularized version of a historically Hindu practice, presented without proselytizing? Not acceptable.

Representatives on both sides of the aisle say they don’t accept Godfrey’s reasoning. As Republican State Rep. Danny Garrett points out, Christianity has adapted plenty of practices that used to belong to other religions — Christmas trees, for instance, or the Easter bunny — without endorsing those religions’ beliefs. And some local churches are already doing the same with yoga, offering a Christian version of the practice alongside social gatherings and Bible studies."
source

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It was just a matter of time.

"The Alabama State Board of Education says it’s part of a prohibition on “the use of hypnosis and dissociative mental states” that also covers now-common practices like guided imagery and meditation. (It can, however, be taught in high school physical education classes as long as nobody uses the y-word.)

shutterstock_458892736.jpg
The concerns represented by the current state of the law are outdated. Meditative practices like mindfulness and guided imagery have been studied intensively and found to offer plenty of benefits in areas like stress-reduction, focus, and self-awareness. Yoga provides all this and more, helping children hone developing physical skills like balance, endurance, flexibility, and strength.

So State Rep. Jeremy Gray, a Democrat, has introduced HB 235 to reverse the ban on yoga in particular.

Since the bill’s introduction in February, a local Christian advocacy group has come forward in opposition, arguing — get this — that yoga in schools would violate the Establishment Clause.

The charge against HB 235 is being led by Dr. Joe Godfrey, executive director of Alabama Citizens’ Action Program (ALCAP), a local group lobbying for evangelical Christians’ interests in the legislature.

Godfrey admits that his own daughter laughed at his concerns, but he remains adamant that yoga is a religious practice that must not be taught in the classroom:

You can’t separate the exercises from the religious meditation aspect of it. This is Hinduism, straight up. What you’re doing is blatantly teaching a religious exercise that would violate the Establishment Clause.
I promise you no student has ever walked out of a yoga class pledging allegiance to Shiva or Vishnu.

The argument is laughable for other reasons. Good News Clubs evangelizing children? Courses on Bible literacy? School-sponsored baptism? All fine and dandy, according to these people.

A secularized version of a historically Hindu practice, presented without proselytizing? Not acceptable.

Representatives on both sides of the aisle say they don’t accept Godfrey’s reasoning. As Republican State Rep. Danny Garrett points out, Christianity has adapted plenty of practices that used to belong to other religions — Christmas trees, for instance, or the Easter bunny — without endorsing those religions’ beliefs. And some local churches are already doing the same with yoga, offering a Christian version of the practice alongside social gatherings and Bible studies."
source

I think it's worth pointing out the positive side of the story: a Christian group is arguing in favour of the Establishment Clause and is saying that school-imposed religion has no place in the classroom.

I think this is a refreshing change.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I'm asking what makes an exercise religious. You claimed yoga to be religious. Why?
Can you defend your position, or should we dismiss it as just your worthless opinion?

Because yoga is religious.

"It is a Hindu tradition going back nearly 5,000 years and is based on mystical doctrines. Yoga, taken from the Sanskrit word yu meaning 'to join', literally means 'union with God'." (Larsons Book of Cults, Bob Larson, Tyndale, 1983, p. 357)

Now, I asked if it was voluntary or not. So, is it?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

I think it's worth pointing out the positive side of the story: a Christian group is arguing in favour of the Establishment Clause and is saying that school-imposed religion has no place in the classroom.

I think this is a refreshing change.

Is it voluntary?

Good-Ole-Rebel

leov

Yoga is from a religion.
17“‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams;
18even on my male servants and female servants
in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy"

Good-Ole-Rebel

I thought slavery defenders like yourself didn't care about whether things are voluntary.

Oh... right: white people are involved.

Leave me alone.

So you're saying that making children practice yoga when their parents don't want them to as it is against the first amendment, is a form of slavery? Interesting.

But your comparison falls down. With slavery, the Constitution protected it. It was constitutional. With this yoga, people are attacking the constitutionality of it being practiced (forced?) in public schools.

OK...feel free to not respond.

Good-Ole-Rebel