• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After death scenarios

Nefelie

When the Jews began mixing with Greeks they adopted their religious-myth theories and philosophies as being Scripture although Not Scripture.

As a Greek, I resent that. In so many levels.

I'm thinking the scenario is much like as described in the Near Death Experience reports. We will be greeted by relatives and loving beings on a higher plane.

I had a near death experience when I flat-lined for 3 minutes after surgery, in the recovery room. My experience had nothing to do with what you describe. And I found out that I’m not the only one. So, how about that?

~~~

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I had a near death experience when I flat-lined for 3 minutes after surgery, in the recovery room. My experience had nothing to do with what you describe. And I found out that I’m not the only one. So, how about that?

~~~
Not all people near death have the Near Death Experience. Whatever triggers leaving the body (and remembering) is not the same in every person.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I'm not really afraid of death. When my time comes, it will happen. I just hope that I will have accomplished at least some of my goals and can bow out peacefully and gracefully. I know that this life isn't all there is. Even if it is "lights out", you wouldn't know. It would be like a dreamless deep sleep where you never wake up. That is okay, too. Threats of hell and punishment don't bother me because I don't think the Cosmos is set up that way.
I can't wait to die, I find this life profoundly boring and I suffer when my life could just be ended right now. I have literally no reason whatsoever to do anything I do, and most days I just feel as though I'm sitting around waiting to die. I have considered suicide sometimes just because of it. I see death as the perfect state: nothing. I might leave some 'spirit energy' and return as a 'ghost' but that won't be 'me'.

It's mostly because most suicide attempts are unsuccessful. And I'm actually petrified more of not dying and then being prevented from trying again. If only the State made it easy for one to kill oneself. Or if I could own a gun. If I had a gun I would have done it by now. I find it unfair that we can give sick animals a simple injection but I can't have it.
You sound exactly like me, much of the time. I could've written that. I certainly understand why you would feel that way given what I know about your past and your present circumstances, so feeling that way is certainly valid. You and I have some things in common in that it seems that both of us are not in control of our lives. We both come from abusive and traumatic backgrounds, are forced into situations we do not want to be in, don't really have a support network in terms of family and friends and you seem to experience the same sort of existential perception of rootlessness/lack of foundation that I do (which is what drew me towards far-right ideologies in the past, as it's ultimately from a psychological need for stability, so it is easy for people like us to fall prey to such worldviews).

Luckily, both you and I are still young and there are many possibilities ahead of us. We can change our lives if we work on it. We could both move and start new lives elsewhere. You could continue with your schooling, get a job, save up money and leave your present situation. I could do much the same.

Surely you have some sort of goals. I'm sure there are things you enjoy, as well. You may enjoy nature, even if it's something as simple as looking up at the sky, watching animals scurry about in your neighborhood and so on. You may enjoy art like music, film, fine art, literature and you may enjoy creating some of these things yourself (I know you enjoy writing). Sometimes we have to look to the seemingly "small" things in life as reasons for sticking around. I love music, watching movies, reading, going to concerts, getting drunk, my pets (especially my dog), sex, etc. If I off myself, I won't be able to enjoy those things anymore. There's plenty of time to be dead, but not much time to be here in this present incarnation. You only get to be you on this plane and during this time once, so might as well try to make the best of it.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
~~~

It is said that one of the greatest fears of man (if not THE greatest) is that of death.

Some people will agree others will say that they are not really afraid of death.

Either way, I think that all of us have, at least once in our lives, thought about what could be the worse scenario after … we close our eyes for ever.

What’s your scenario?

~~~

The worst scenario is eternal separation from those you love..."till death due you part"

the highest glory, to be together forever with your family.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
~~~

It is said that one of the greatest fears of man (if not THE greatest) is that of death.

Some people will agree others will say that they are not really afraid of death.

Either way, I think that all of us have, at least once in our lives, thought about what could be the worse scenario after … we close our eyes for ever.

What’s your scenario?

~~~

Opening eyes forever. =0)

Pretty much in the same way this experience occured.

Maybe its good.

Maybe its not.

Another "me" can decide.

My own fear is whatever the mind can do right now.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I plan on being cremated...or buried in milk=creamated.

I would like a viking burial but there is probably a council bye-law against it. Like when they push you out to sea in a sail boat and then set it alight with fire arrows. Very visual! :p

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I would like a viking burial but there is probably a council bye-law against it. Like when they push you out to sea in a sail boat and then set it alight with fire arrows. Very visual! :p

That was my original plan but my cheap brother-in-law won't let me use his bass boat.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
As a Greek, I resent that. In so many levels.
~~~

First, Nefelie I want to apologize to you. Although Not a Greek I do love Greek food, music, dancing, and very fond of one friend who is Greek and enjoyed being at the wedding.
In the 60's while my best friend attended college in New York City we often ate at the Greek Paradise Inn restaurant. I have beloved Greek pottery by D. Vassilopoulos.

It was unfaithful Jews who did Not stay with Scripture that teaches the dead know nothing - Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Daniel 12:13; John 11:12-14
Those Greeks were the sincere ones. It is just that soul immorality is Not what the Bible really teaches about the soul. The soul dies according to Ezekiel 18:4,20; Acts 3:23

Even atheists have near death experiences, but according to the Bible ' near death ' is Not the same as being dead for days as Jesus' friend was - John 11:12-14
What was Adam's experience when Adam died? According to Genesis 3:19 Adam simply ' returned ' to the dust of the ground.
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before. Adam was never offered immortality but ' everlasting life ' on Earth if he did Not break God's Law.
Adam had No pre-human existence, but was made from the dust of the ground. Adam went from non-life, to life, and returned to non-life - Genesis 2:7
If it were Not for Jesus then we would have No future life. We can Not resurrect oneself or another so we need someone who can resurrect us. Jesus can and will - Revelation 1:18

Again, I am sorry I caused you resentment, but I am merely posting what the Bible really teaches about the dead being unconscious.
Even the word cemetery means: sleeping place. In Scripture death does Not mean being more alive at death than before death, but that a person in order to live again needs to resurrected. Acts of the Apostles 24:15 uses the 'future tense' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.....
If already resurrected then there would be No need for a resurrection from the dead.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The worst scenario is eternal separation from those you love..."till death due you part"
the highest glory, to be together forever with your family.

I can agree with the ^ above ^.
Do you think we can find comfort in God's promise to father Abraham that ALL families of Earth will be blessed ? _______ - Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18
Starting with Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth, then families will be together forever because there will be healing for earth's nations.
- Revelation 22:2, and through Christ will be a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection back to life on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden originally was - Isaiah 25:8
In other words, Jesus did call some people to heaven who have a first or earlier resurrection - Revelation 20:6; 2:10; 5:9-10; Daniel 7:18
However, the majority of mankind (including King David - Acts of the Apostles 2:34) will be resurrected back to physical life on Earth with the opportunity to live forever on Earth.
So, as you mention the ' highest glory ' to be together forever with family (and I'll add friends) on a beautiful paradisical Earth forever and ever - Psalms 37:11,29; Matthew 5:5

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I am talking about earth life . indeed there is afterlife :Judgement day and heaven and hell .

Yes, ' earth life ' or ' living forever on Earth ' - Matthew 5:5; Psalms 37:10-11; Psalms 37:29

Scripture speaks of a ' thousand-year-long judgement day ' or Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over Earth.
First, mankind on Earth is facing a ' judgement day ' - Matthew 25:31-33. A final judgement time for the people living on Earth.
Humble ' sheep'-like people can remain alive on Earth, and continue to live on Earth, right into the start of Jesus' millennial day - Matthew 25:37; Revelation 7:14
Heaven is for those who have a first or earlier resurrection of Revelation 20:6
So, besides Heaven there is also Earth.- Matthew 5:5
As far as biblical hell, the Bible's hell comes to a final end - Revelation 20:13-14
Death and hell (grave) give up the dead in them meaning, the dead are resurrected out of biblical hell.
Then, emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.
So, some people are resurrected to heaven, most people will be resurrected back to healthy physical life on Earth.
As regards the wicked, they will be destroyed forever - Psalms 92:7; Jeremiah 25:31-33; Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6
That is why we are now asked to ' repent ' so as Not to 'perish' ( be destroyed ) - 2 Peter 3:9

idea

Question Everything
I can agree with the ^ above ^.
Do you think we can find comfort in God's promise to father Abraham that ALL families of Earth will be blessed ? _______ - Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18
Starting with Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth, then families will be together forever because there will be healing for earth's nations.
- Revelation 22:2, and through Christ will be a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection back to life on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden originally was - Isaiah 25:8
In other words, Jesus did call some people to heaven who have a first or earlier resurrection - Revelation 20:6; 2:10; 5:9-10; Daniel 7:18
However, the majority of mankind (including King David - Acts of the Apostles 2:34) will be resurrected back to physical life on Earth with the opportunity to live forever on Earth.
So, as you mention the ' highest glory ' to be together forever with family (and I'll add friends) on a beautiful paradisical Earth forever and ever - Psalms 37:11,29; Matthew 5:5

R U JW? 1 Cor 15 describes my beliefs. ...
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead.

“Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? [See Ps. 82:6.]
“If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

"If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." - C.S.Lewis

I believe that the 1,000 year reign of Christ will be filled with temple work where all the families of the Earth will be sealed together. Yes, the first resurrection will happen prior to the 1,000 years, the second afterwards -
https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine...32-the-resurrection-and-the-judgment?lang=eng

Nefelie

First, Nefelie I want to apologize to you. Although Not a Greek I do love Greek food, music, dancing, …

Thank you for the “likes” to my country and people.

But, what makes you think that the Greeks (and almost all ancient civilizations, for that matter) got it wrong about what happens to the soul after death?

Because the Bible says so?

What if the Bible is wrong and the Jews understood that at some point and therefore started embracing the older belief about the soul?

Even atheists have near death experiences, but according to the Bible ' near death ' is Not the same as being dead for days as Jesus' friend was - John 11:12-14

I don’t see the connection of this passage with near death experiences. Not even close, actually. Care to elaborate?

A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before. Adam was never offered immortality but ' everlasting life ' on Earth if he did Not break God's Law.

Adam’s body was made of earth and to earth it would return. True.

…But what about the “breath of God” that was blown in him in Gen. 2:7…? Where did that come from? Was it not from God? Isn’t it, therefore, to return to God?

Even the word cemetery means: sleeping place.

That should trigger some thought for you: sleep is a very much “alive” state from where I see it. There is dreaming in sleep. And dreams can be very very vivid.

…But anyway, we are soooooo much off topic! My original question was what you fear could happen after death, no matter what religion teaches.

~~~

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm thinking the scenario is much like as described in the Near Death Experience reports. We will be greeted by relatives and loving beings on a higher plane.
Sometimes on a boat... in a field or a nice room with a fireplace...

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Yes, ' earth life ' or ' living forever on Earth ' - Matthew 5:5; Psalms 37:10-11; Psalms 37:29

Scripture speaks of a ' thousand-year-long judgement day ' or Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over Earth.
First, mankind on Earth is facing a ' judgement day ' - Matthew 25:31-33. A final judgement time for the people living on Earth.
Humble ' sheep'-like people can remain alive on Earth, and continue to live on Earth, right into the start of Jesus' millennial day - Matthew 25:37; Revelation 7:14
Heaven is for those who have a first or earlier resurrection of Revelation 20:6
So, besides Heaven there is also Earth.- Matthew 5:5
As far as biblical hell, the Bible's hell comes to a final end - Revelation 20:13-14
Death and hell (grave) give up the dead in them meaning, the dead are resurrected out of biblical hell.
Then, emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.
So, some people are resurrected to heaven, most people will be resurrected back to healthy physical life on Earth.
As regards the wicked, they will be destroyed forever - Psalms 92:7; Jeremiah 25:31-33; Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6
That is why we are now asked to ' repent ' so as Not to 'perish' ( be destroyed ) - 2 Peter 3:9
Is it possible for you to stop your damn preaching for one second? This isn't a religious discussion and proselytizing against the forum rules. Stop it. It's highly annoying and offensive.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sometimes on a boat... in a field or a nice room with a fireplace...
My own image for when death happens is I will "wake up" in a dimly lit cave or grotto and there next to me with be my beloved MaXx who died about 20 years ago.

max2prog.jpg

He licks my face a bit in greeting, then I rouse myself and we walk up to an opening in a wall nearby and look out over a lush green field full of wild flowers which we walk through to get to a small hill a short distance away. There we sit and watch the sun come up in a way that neither of us will ever forget.

My wish is to be fully conscious when the event occurs and the part described above will be like that of a scene change in a play. It's when the sun comes up that the fun will really begin.
@George-ananda