• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After death scenarios

Nefelie

~~~

It is said that one of the greatest fears of man (if not THE greatest) is that of death.

Some people will agree others will say that they are not really afraid of death.

Either way, I think that all of us have, at least once in our lives, thought about what could be the worse scenario after … we close our eyes for ever.

What’s your scenario?

~~~

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't wait to die, I find this life profoundly boring and I suffer when my life could just be ended right now. I have literally no reason whatsoever to do anything I do, and most days I just feel as though I'm sitting around waiting to die. I have considered suicide sometimes just because of it. I see death as the perfect state: nothing. I might leave some 'spirit energy' and return as a 'ghost' but that won't be 'me'.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm in no hurry to die, but I really don't fear it. If put in a situation where I look at constant suffering, I will reserve the right to end my suffering.

But after that: I as me will cease to exist. If any parts of me go on, well, that's fine. My biggest fear is that the fire-and-brimstone preachers are right, and that I will be sent to suffer for eternity in a painful environment because of the choices I made during this life. I think it would be unfair, because I think I've done some good in this life, as well as some bad, but if that's what some creator deity thinks, then who am I to question it, no matter how arbitrary it seems to be in practice. I would expect to be suffering with lots of other interesting people.

But I don't expect that. I'm certainly not going to organize my life to avoid something that is quite illogical in the first place.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
~~~

It is said that one of the greatest fears of man (if not THE greatest) is that of death.

Some people will agree others will say that they are not really afraid of death.

Either way, I think that all of us have, at least once in our lives, thought about what could be the worse scenario after … we close our eyes for ever.

What’s your scenario?

~~~

I've been through pain. I've been through near death experiences (almost to the point of dying rather than seeing what's behind the curtains). I've talked with death. I flirted with it. I'm not afraid of death in and of itself because what I know is true is that I still live in spirit, help my family, and continue until I find full wisdom of life to reach nibanna. I don't know what happens once that point is reached; and, I find it comforting that learning and wisdom doesn't stop at age. I live with people eighty (rather than eight) years and older so they also inspire me that they keep going and here I am complaining.

I don't like suffocation, an extreme physical injury (like being hit by a car) but still conscious to feel the pain, and the pre-suffering of knowing I have a life-threatening condition before I get to the point of acceptance. Age comes naturally; and, I find there is a point in age you get comfortable with death and there is a point that you are not comfortable of changing the human nature of reaction to surprise and pain. I'd end with Woody Allen's quote: "It's not that I am afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I see no reason to believe in any afterlife beyond the rather obvious fact that life will go on after I die (for other people).

Nor do I see any reason to fear or be troubled by it.

I guess I do fear the idea of a slow, painful death. But in truth I am fairly good at dealing with pain anyway.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When I had the heart attack I had, my immediate thought was "well, now one of these days this really good private screening of a really good movie is going to be over'. Just as with a good movie, there was some sadness there. Of course that was from the perspective of this individual personality/ego of this lifetime.

From a deeper perspective, the awareness in the soul that moves on will take a break, then start looking for a new body to inhabit ... one that will affort an opportunity to renounce the world and seek moksha.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
~~~

What’s your scenario?

~~~

Actually I think you'll find more people afraid of public speaking than dying.

I can't wait to die, I find this life profoundly boring and I suffer when my life could just be ended right now. I have literally no reason whatsoever to do anything I do, and most days I just feel as though I'm sitting around waiting to die. I have considered suicide sometimes just because of it. I see death as the perfect state: nothing. I might leave some 'spirit energy' and return as a 'ghost' but that won't be 'me'.

The only reason I don't believe you is that you took the time and energy to show up here. Find that "one thing" and lighten up. It's all about the ride.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The only reason I don't believe you is that you took the time and energy to show up here. Find that "one thing" and lighten up. It's all about the ride.
It's mostly because most suicide attempts are unsuccessful. And I'm actually petrified more of not dying and then being prevented from trying again. If only the State made it easy for one to kill oneself. Or if I could own a gun. If I had a gun I would have done it by now. I find it unfair that we can give sick animals a simple injection but I can't have it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It's mostly because most suicide attempts are unsuccessful. And I'm actually petrified more of not dying and then being prevented from trying again. If only the State made it easy for one to kill oneself. Or if I could own a gun. If I had a gun I would have done it by now. I find it unfair that we can give sick animals a simple injection but I can't have it.

Plenty of ways to off oneself; granted some are more creative than others. If nothing else you get the opportunity to bust my chops by hanging around (which I don't mind).

Laika

Premium Member

Just so you know, I would miss you. :(

When I had suicicidal feelings many years ago, I learned to think of death not in terms of if I die but when. Making the decision to die a "natural death" is therefore not something abstract and hypothetical but a deliberate and conscious form of acceptance: living is the longest form of suicide. I killed my illusions rather than myself. And whilst I still have psychological scars from doing so, achieving some level of acceptance that I had already died once- not physically but mentally in sacrificing a hollow illusion of self- is why I am still here.

We are all dying and we can accept it or try and fight it by continuing to believe that death is a choice and the act suicide gives us control. But It isn't a choice and it doesn't give us control as we are just living organisms whose biology is predetermined to exhaust itself. The desire to live burns inside of all of us and we have to let it breathe and not let it be suffocated in the mental pollution of others cruelty, indifference and petty self-loathing. Hatred and fear of life is elevated to the status of morality and is made binding by those who wish to control our lives for purposes other than our own. We are converted into passive objects and are made to live indifferent to ourselves as if we are all ready dead. The decision to commit suicide is the point where we have to face the choice between extinction by believing that passivity of servitude is our natural state or go into rebellion against those persons and ideas that made life not worth living. we are transient and so therefore is our ability to have control; the only control we have is in living on our own terms. It's value is not intrinsic but in the consequences we have on this earth. You have to dare yourself to keep living as the value and significance of our own lives is one absurd illusion worth holding onto.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Death is only thing that all human commun in the end.

whatever you live,eat,have money,marry,kids...etc = the end is one grave.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
~~~
What’s your scenario?
~~~

The worse scenario is the non-biblical one painted as being biblical.
When the Jews began mixing with Greeks they adopted their religious-myth theories and philosophies as being Scripture although Not Scripture.
In Jesus' mind ( and in the old Hebrew Scriptures ) the worst case scenario would be that in death there is only sleep - John 11:12-14; Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4
Since Jesus taught resurrection for the un-conscious dead, then there would be 'No closing of eyes forever' but a temporary sleep in death - Revelation 1:18
So, my scenario is that when the dead are awakened from death sleep - Daniel 12:2; Daniel 12:13 - enemy death will be No more ever again - 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Death is only thing that all human commun in the end.
whatever you live,eat,have money,marry,kids...etc = the end is one grave.

.... but is it a permanent end in the grave ?
Scripture teaches that Jesus resurrected the dead out of the grave - John 11:12-14
The few resurrections Jesus' performed was a just a small-scale sample, a preview, a coming attraction, of what Jesus will be doing on a grand-global scale.
Starting with Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth ' enemy death ' ( grave ) will be No more - 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8; Revelation 1:18
There will be healing for earth's nations - Revelation 22:2 - when mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' on Earth for the healing of earth's nations.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
.... but is it a permanent end in the grave ?
Scripture teaches that Jesus resurrected the dead out of the grave - John 11:12-14
The few resurrections Jesus' performed was a just a small-scale sample, a preview, a coming attraction, of what Jesus will be doing on a grand-global scale.
Starting with Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth ' enemy death ' ( grave ) will be No more - 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8; Revelation 1:18
There will be healing for earth's nations - Revelation 22:2 - when mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' on Earth for the healing of earth's nations.
I am talking about earth life . indeed there is afterlife :Judgement day and heaven and hell .

RationalSkeptic

Freethinker
~~~

What’s your scenario?

~~~

Immorality.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
~~~

What’s your scenario?

~~~
I'm thinking the scenario is much like as described in the Near Death Experience reports. We will be greeted by relatives and loving beings on a higher plane.