• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice you'd give to the Recently Converted

Laika

Premium Member
If someone were considering converting to your religion or philosophy, or has only just recently converted to it, what advice would you give them? Are there any common mistakes or mis-understandings to avoid? Or is there something extra that can make it easier and smooth the path to understanding and enlightenment?

allfoak

Alchemist
No conversion needed.
You already have everything and know everything you need.

I heard a little girl talking to a preacher once...
The preacher was scolding the little girl for not going to church.
The girl told him that she already went to church and don't need to do it anymore.
The preacher of course wanted to know why it was that she didn't need to go anymore and the little girl had no difficulty telling him.

"I already get it" she said.
"You already get what" said the preacher.
"We are supposed to love God, ourselves and every one else"
she said.
The preacher of course was speechless and walked away mumbling something about how bad the young people are around here.

We don't need anyone to tell us what to do, we just need to be doing what we already know.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Things to do as a newbie:
  • Contain your excitement. Yes, we understand that you are totally in love with your new shiny. There are a couple of very important things to bear in mind when sharing your new shiny with others. First, some of us are really not going to care, so please don't keep going on and on about it when we're not interested in hearing it. Second, there are enough jerks out there that you will want to exhibit caution in talking about your new shiny. There are few things that suck worse than being all excited about something only to have others spitting on it.
  • Don't just read, read broadly. Inevitably, someone somewhere will give you this list of things you should look at to know all there is to know about the new shiny. Ignore all that, and simply read everything and anything that relates to the new shiny. All of it. Even the stuff the other people who are into your new shiny tell you not to read. Because perspective is important, and broad perspective is even more important. People will have different takes on the new shiny, and it's important to know the breadth of those takes so you can find yours.
  • Just do it. Reading stuff will only take you so far, and you don't want to be one of those armchair people. Do the things. Practice. Take action. Reading is not, and never will be, enough. Your new shiny is not something to be put on a pedestal inside a glass case. It is supposed to be played with, so you can develop a relationship with it. It's okay... it won't break. It's like clay - as you play with it, you can mold it into the shape you like. Even better, you can keep molding the new shiny for your entire life.
  • Never let other fans ruin it for you. There are other people out there who also adore your new shiny, and will enjoy talking to you about it. You will like some of these people, but others you will think are jerks. There is disagreement and conflict in any community of fans. Do not let the actions of the people you think are jerks ruin your appreciation of the new shiny. That is a reflection on them, not on you, and not on your new shiny.
  • Accept your brilliant idiocy. Don't be the newbie know-it-all, because you don't. No one does. Accept that. And then get over it. We're all idiots. And because we're all idiots, we're all also brilliant. Just because you're new, don't sell yourself short. It doesn't mean your perspectives and interpretations are invalid. They're as valid as anybody else's. Like I said, we're all brilliant idiots.
Can probably come up with some more things later. Others, perhaps, specific to particular paths.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
-To follow what makes most sense to you and what feels most attractive. You don't have to follow a specific path, have a pantheon or label yourself. Don't jump in too quick, read a lot.
-Try not to feel too overwhelmed, there is a lot to learn and read about but what will apply to you, you're the one to decide that. You can make your own practice as simple or complex as you want it to be. Focus on the basics and build on that. Add what applies to you, what you are open to try and discard what doesn't work.
-Magic isn't necessary, you don't have to practice it if you don't want to. Also, there's a lot of interpretations and views of what the word magic means so don't jump to conclusions too quickly about it, regardless of what side of the fence you're at.
-You don't have to believe in everything that is said, you can disagree... Don't be scared of walking on your own at times. I agree there's some basics (otherwise the label is meaningless) but other than that, I'd advice the person to find what works for them. There's no point going through the motions if you don't have your heart into it, if it feels counter-intuitive and you don't believe they work. There's so many ideas and ways of doing things that surely you'll find your own. Just be careful to not misappropriate and remain respectful.

Hmmm, that's all I got for now.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
On a serious note, my best advice to someone following in my wake is to just STFU for 25 years until you have a handle on your experience. Doing so will save you an enormous amount of aggravation and embarrassment. After 25 years of self-imposed silence you just might be able to express yourself without getting into a hopeless muddle. Maybe...

idea

Question Everything
I think converts are a little like newlyweds - they need to realize that they have only taken the first step towards a real commitment and life with God.
I would encourage them to write down their testimony and how they received it. Often when things get tough, good advice is to tell the couple to "remember when you were newlyweds, why did you get married in the first place?" If their testimony is written down, that will bring them back to their starting point in the future when they need it.

Also, warn them to not be overwhelmed. My religion involves a lot of serving others, a lot of work, a lot of things to do and things to be. It is very easy to feel inadequate, and easy to feel "not good enough" or not strong enough to keep up with it all. Line upon line, precept by precept - to find themselves a good mentor who will help them.

I would encourage them to read the scriptures and have personal prayer every day.

I would encourage them to go to church, and to go to the temple.

Also, to talk about any concerns they come across and not keep anything bottled up inside.

They will go through a repentance process - this is often the hardest part, and we all go through it. They will need support through this process of getting past anything in the past they need to overcome.

Last but not least, take time to "be still" and come to know and feel God's love.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
If someone were considering converting to your religion or philosophy, or has only just recently converted to it, what advice would you give them? Are there any common mistakes or mis-understandings to avoid? Or is there something extra that can make it easier and smooth the path to understanding and enlightenment?
Don't fall into the pitfall of thinking that you need to know everything possible, and that therefore you need to keep reading. If your end goal is knowing about your religion, then you'll never let it take hold in your heart and make it your way of life. Your religion is a way of life, not a field of study. The latter should enhance the former, not vice-versa. Put away the books from time to time, and just focus on living your path as authentically as you can.

Tumah

Veteran Member
No conversion needed.
You already have everything and know everything you need.

I heard a little girl talking to a preacher once...
The preacher was scolding the little girl for not going to church.
The girl told him that she already went to church and don't need to do it anymore.
The preacher of course wanted to know why it was that she didn't need to go anymore and the little girl had no difficulty telling him.

"I already get it" she said.
"You already get what" said the preacher.
"We are supposed to love God, ourselves and every one else"
she said.
The preacher of course was speechless and walked away mumbling something about how bad the young people are around here.

We don't need anyone to tell us what to do, we just need to be doing what we already know.
If get to know myself better, will I come to understand how a mistranslated Sephiroth diagram came to be placed on the star of David in the wrong way?

allfoak

Alchemist
If get to know myself better, will I come to understand how a mistranslated Sephiroth diagram came to be placed on the star of David in the wrong way?

Yes...
I did.

TreeOfLife_Labels.JPG

Kirran

Premium Member
Hmm.

Relax. Be calm. Cultivate faith. Acknowledge it'll take some time for your subconscious to catch up. Don't get too intellectual.