• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on Denominations?

Animore

Alright, so some of you may have seen my past post. Well, over the course of that post to the post, my faith has grown considerably, so that's something. The problem is that I have been searching up on denominations of Christianity, and none that I have found seems to really fit with my beliefs. I am a believer in the mixture of science with religion. I believer in order to understand God's word, we must look at it from a rational perspective. I accept that we cant 100 percent know with truth that God exists, but I believe He does. If anyone has any denomination of Christianity that, even in some way, fits into these categories, I'd be really appreciative.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Generally speaking that sounds like liberal Christianity, but you may want to try to contact Jesuits (who are said to value learning and knowledge) and Quakers (who seem to have a particularly sober and healthy attitude towards reconciling tradition with awareness of the wider world).

Animore

Generally speaking that sounds like liberal Christianity, but you may want to try to contact Jesuits (who are said to value learning and knowledge) and Quakers (who seem to have a particularly sober and healthy attitude towards reconciling tradition with awareness of the wider world).
Thanks a bunch! I'' check it out.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Funny papers...

Go forth, width, and nay against thy ancestors... Fads will come and go, but you are living you.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Anglicans are extremely liberal and embrace science.
However it is an extremely broad church and accepts a wide range of views from the almost puritanical to High church, approaching Catholicism. the " flavour" tends to vary from church to church, and priest to priest.
I tend to call myself a heretical Anglican because I share the scientific view and tend to discard the more magical view of Christianity. particularly those aspects that do not gel with common sense or reality of scientific knowledge.
This is certainly no problem to the church.

Some Anglicans would also accept the more extreme views of Bishop Spong, which are at the extreme edge of Christian belief, some would say hardly theistic at all.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Alright, so some of you may have seen my past post. Well, over the course of that post to the post, my faith has grown considerably, so that's something. The problem is that I have been searching up on denominations of Christianity, and none that I have found seems to really fit with my beliefs. I am a believer in the mixture of science with religion. I believer in order to understand God's word, we must look at it from a rational perspective. I accept that we cant 100 percent know with truth that God exists, but I believe He does. If anyone has any denomination of Christianity that, even in some way, fits into these categories, I'd be really appreciative.

Christian Deism. Come talk to me. All will be made clear.

Animore

The Anglicans are extremely liberal and embrace science.
However it is an extremely broad church and accepts a wide range of views from the almost puritanical to High church, approaching Catholicism. the " flavour" tends to vary from church to church, and priest to priest.
I tend to call myself a heretical Anglican because I share the scientific view and tend to discard the more magical view of Christianity. particularly those aspects that do not gel with common sense or reality of scientific knowledge.
This is certainly no problem to the church.

Some Anglicans would also accept the more extreme views of Bishop Spong, which are at the extreme edge of Christian belief, some would say hardly theistic at all.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Animore

NP.

Christian Deism blends God's NT commandments with logic and science. Enjoy the search!
Thanks for the kind compliments! I just don't see how I could follow something that goes against His deity (not to judge your beliefs, but to assess mine.) But again, thank you very much. :)

GoodbyeDave

Actually Catholicism believes in rationalism and science. Remember that in the USA, parochial schools are forbidden to teach creationalism and the theory of the Big Bang was created by a Catholic priest. But it does have some baggage that you might not like...

It obviously depends on where you are. In the UK, I'd say Anglicanism, but you're going to have a hard time finding an Episcopalian church in the US Bible Belt! Methodism is also a possibility, but British Methodism is far more liberal than American Methodism.

Animore

Actually Catholicism believes in rationalism and science. Remember that in the USA, parochial schools are forbidden to teach creationalism and the theory of the Big Bang was created by a Catholic priest. But it does have some baggage that you might not like...

It obviously depends on where you are. In the UK, I'd say Anglicanism, but you're going to have a hard time finding an Episcopalian church in the US Bible Belt! Methodism is also a possibility, but British Methodism is far more liberal than American Methodism.

Interesting. I must've been misinformed then. I've always operated on the assumption that Catholicism is some major mega-religious, evolution-rejecting, cape-wearing denomination (No offence to Catholics, just an exaggeration is all) but I'll have to check up on it. Thanks for the help. :)

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Interesting. I must've been misinformed then. I've always operated on the assumption that Catholicism is some major mega-religious, evolution-rejecting, cape-wearing denomination (No offence to Catholics, just an exaggeration is all) but I'll have to check up on it. Thanks for the help. :)
If you want to ask anything about Catholicism, feel free to hit me up with a PM or drop a question in the Catholicism DIR, and I or one of our other friendly Catholics here on RF will be happy to help :D

Animore

If you want to ask anything about Catholicism, feel free to hit me up with a PM or drop a question in the Catholicism DIR, and I or one of our other friendly Catholics here on RF will be happy to help :D

Thanks a bunch! I certainly will. :)