• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on Denominations?

Animore

If you ask anyone on RF, I am very expressive and write long posts. If you'd like to talk about different denominations and how they relate to your view of spirituality, we can do that. However, I think you'd benefit more of finding advice in the seeker's forum. A lot of us just want to know more about what you believe to help you out a bit. In Religious Debates, you will be challanged your faith and I don't think that's your purpose.

Anyway, that's how I help others. As a teacher, I really don't give advice but help others by asking about themselves and letting them find out the answer. It's easier on that student when he or she knows the student is making decisions for himself.

However, it's not a small discussion. We work together in a long period of time. So, I take from my experiences in faith, work, and just life in general and hope others take some knowledge if they read my whole posts.

Alright then, give me a few minutes to put something better, then we can see if we can work something out.

Sonofason

Interesting. I must've been misinformed then. I've always operated on the assumption that Catholicism is some major mega-religious, evolution-rejecting, cape-wearing denomination (No offence to Catholics, just an exaggeration is all) but I'll have to check up on it. Thanks for the help. :)
Word of God first...science second. If science contradicts the Bible, then the science is false. Leavening the word of God with lies will corrupt and destroy your faith in God.

Animore

If you ask anyone on RF, I am very expressive and write long posts. If you'd like to talk about different denominations and how they relate to your view of spirituality, we can do that. However, I think you'd benefit more of finding advice in the seeker's forum. A lot of us just want to know more about what you believe to help you out a bit. In Religious Debates, you will be challanged your faith and I don't think that's your purpose.

Anyway, that's how I help others. As a teacher, I really don't give advice but help others by asking about themselves and letting them find out the answer. It's easier on that student when he or she knows the student is making decisions for himself.

However, it's not a small discussion. We work together in a long period of time. So, I take from my experiences in faith, work, and just life in general and hope others take some knowledge if they read my whole posts.

What I believe to be the truth is as follows:

I believe to fully understand God, one must look at Him both a spiritual and scientific perspective. There comes a point in time where "well, He's God" won't cut it anymore. In order to get the whole point, one must look at books of the Bible in a scientific context, as modern-day science has allegedly proven it false. It states everywhere in scripture to test everything. Apostles telling us to test spirits. God testing our faith. Evil testing our perseverance and determination in times of temptation. The list goes on and on. In the same way, we must test scripture for accuracy and possible meaning. For me personally, I've come to the conclusion that Genesis is symbolic, similar to the way Jesus dying on the cross having more of a meaning than just Him dying on the cross. Spirituality, faith, etc. is very important, but logic is very close in importance, if not equal, to faith, spirituality, etc. Now, if we lived in a world that was not polluted in sin, we wouldn't need to balance such faith with logic. Faith (which would theoretically not have to exist, but still) would be logic for us, because we would be in direct contact with God 24/7. However, because there is sin, we need to have logic, so that faith doesn't turn into blind faith.

Treks

@NotOfTheWorld , just furthering the denomination thing, do you currently believe that God interacts with the world? Can petitionary prayer cause God to intervene and change things on your behalf via miracles?

Or, do you believe in a more hands-off God who has set things in motion and now observes more than interacts?

Kirran

Premium Member
I'll be honest, my only real advice would be to base yourself somewhere that allows room for real experience of God and for continued spiritual growth through listening to Him. Of course this varies by church within denomination, but Quakers, certain O and E Orthodox and Catholic groups, perhaps UCC and Anglican groups, seem a good bet. I have experienced UUs to be very intellectualised but that may just have been the church I went to.

Animore

@NotOfTheWorld , just furthering the denomination thing, do you currently believe that God interacts with the world? Can petitionary prayer cause God to intervene and change things on your behalf via miracles?

Or, do you believe in a more hands-off God who has set things in motion and now observes more than interacts?
Would it be fair to say both? I believe that God has a full capability to interact with the outside world, if it does not contradict with the prophesies that must be fulfilled, or that goes against his plan for us. Not every prayer is answered, because God views it as not right for us currently. Sometimes, (and I'm not saying any times specifically) a watchful eye is better than a swaying hand.

Animore

I'll be honest, my only real advice would be to base yourself somewhere that allows room for real experience of God and for continued spiritual growth through listening to Him. Of course this varies by church within denomination, but Quakers, certain O and E Orthodox and Catholic groups, perhaps UCC and Anglican groups, seem a good bet. I have experienced UUs to be very intellectualised but that may just have been the church I went to.
Thanks for the info!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Thank you! I've been looking into Anglicanism a bit, and I'm not too sure about it, but I'll definitely look into the latte of the two. :)

The anglican church has inherited most of its theology from the Catholic church. However it is far more about worship than dogma. The style but not the substance of that worship varies from church to church. It never tries to squeeze everyone into the same mould.
our last priest found the miracles and the virgin birth optional, and despised salvation theology.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Not all Anglican and episcapalian, churches are in communion with Canterbury. Thae use the same word but are not connected in any way. This can confuse the unwary searching the net.

Animore

The anglican church has inherited most of its theology from the Catholic church. However it is far more about worship than dogma. The style but not the substance of that worship varies from church to church. It never tries to squeeze everyone into the same mould.
our last priest found the miracles and the virgin birth optional, and despised salvation theology.

Well, I'll certainly have to do a lot more research then, 'cause that seems right up my ally. :D Thanks for the information, again!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Alright, so some of you may have seen my past post. Well, over the course of that post to the post, my faith has grown considerably, so that's something. The problem is that I have been searching up on denominations of Christianity, and none that I have found seems to really fit with my beliefs. I am a believer in the mixture of science with religion. I believer in order to understand God's word, we must look at it from a rational perspective. I accept that we cant 100 percent know with truth that God exists, but I believe He does. If anyone has any denomination of Christianity that, even in some way, fits into these categories, I'd be really appreciative.

Here is something you can check out, it is what I am. I love science! (You should see my fossil and geology collection!)

It can't hurt to at least look at it.

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jehovah-witness-beliefs/

Any questions, please ask.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Thanks for the help! I skimmed through it, and I don't really feel its for me. However, I am willing to study up a bit more on it.

I'm glad you looked at it. There are so many different beliefs about God! It can get bewildering!

What should be our main concern in worship of God, is not so much what's acceptable to us, but what is acceptable to Him. Loving others (even one's **considered** political, racial, national, and cultural enemies) is certainly part of that!

Take care, my cousin.

Animore

I'm glad you looked at it. There are so many different beliefs about God! It can get bewildering!

What should be our main concern in worship of God, is not so much what's acceptable to us, but what is acceptable to Him. Loving others (even one's **considered** political, racial, national, and cultural enemies) is certainly part of that!

Take care, my cousin.

Amen. Absolutely true. Again, thanks a lot. God bless, and peace be with you. :)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Alright, so some of you may have seen my past post. Well, over the course of that post to the post, my faith has grown considerably, so that's something. The problem is that I have been searching up on denominations of Christianity, and none that I have found seems to really fit with my beliefs. I am a believer in the mixture of science with religion. I believer in order to understand God's word, we must look at it from a rational perspective. I accept that we cant 100 percent know with truth that God exists, but I believe He does. If anyone has any denomination of Christianity that, even in some way, fits into these categories, I'd be really appreciative.

You seem sincere and I will try to offer you my sincere answer.

Christianity is, I believe, a true religion from God based upon the teachings of Christ. With only one Book and one Messiah they should all be one religion no?

Truth is one and undivided. If seven men searched for truth they would all arrive at the same destination as truth is one. So with over 30,000 sects something is not quite right.

You should choose which you feel is best for you but if you want truth then we should be willing to accept all truth not just that which is convenient for our lifestyle,

As a Baha'i I accept the basic goodness and truths of all religions not just Christianity, that they all teach good not evil and accept the Founders of all the major religions. So Buddha, Krishna, Muhammad, Moses, Christ, Zoroaster, the Bab and Baha'u'llah all taught truth and it is wonderfully freeeing when one is not chained to only accepting one religion while condemning the rest.

Accept all truth and all men as brothers and all humanity as one family and that is far better than confining oneself in the prison of denominational though as it seeks to condemn those that are not of its ilk.

I love visiting Buddhist temples and Christian churches and Synagogues and praying and meditating in all places of worship as they are a part if my belief. To confine myself just to one Holy Book and one belief I would find it like being in a strait jacket.

Animore

You seem sincere and I will try to offer you my sincere answer.

Christianity is, I believe, a true religion from God based upon the teachings of Christ. With only one Book and one Messiah they should all be one religion no?

Truth is one and undivided. If seven men searched for truth they would all arrive at the same destination as truth is one. So with over 30,000 sects something is not quite right.

You should choose which you feel is best for you but if you want truth then we should be willing to accept all truth not just that which is convenient for our lifestyle,

As a Baha'i I accept the basic goodness and truths of all religions not just Christianity, that they all teach good not evil and accept the Founders of all the major religions. So Buddha, Krishna, Muhammad, Moses, Christ, Zoroaster, the Bab and Baha'u'llah all taught truth and it is wonderfully freeeing when one is not chained to only accepting one religion while condemning the rest.

Accept all truth and all men as brothers and all humanity as one family and that is far better than confining oneself in the prison of denominational though as it seeks to condemn those that are not of its ilk.

I love visiting Buddhist temples and Christian churches and Synagogues and praying and meditating in all places of worship as they are a part if my belief. To confine myself just to one Holy Book and one belief I would find it like being in a strait jacket.
Thanks for the thoughts. Interesting view. I had. for a brief time period, adopted this thought, but it wasn't really something comfortable for me. While I do, in some form or another, believe that most major religions have some form or truth to them, I don't think I could go as far as to say that every religion has truth. Plenty of religions are only focused on hot, war, etc. and lack the necessary righteousness, I guess, to it. Thanks a bunch, though.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Thanks for the thoughts. Interesting view. I had. for a brief time period, adopted this thought, but it wasn't really something comfortable for me. While I do, in some form or another, believe that most major religions have some form or truth to them, I don't think I could go as far as to say that every religion has truth. Plenty of religions are only focused on hot, war, etc. and lack the necessary righteousness, I guess, to it. Thanks a bunch, though.

Peace brother. Just accept us all as your human family and that's good enough for us. I believe it's It's fine to have different beliefs as long as they don't create barriers between our oneness as a human family.