• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absolutism or Relativism?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
PureX said:
I strongly disagree with these definitions. Relativism is NOT the view that "there is no universal standard of truth"; or that "what is true or false depends on what individuals or societies believe to be true". Relativism is the recognition that to a limited observer, truth is itself limited, and therefor relative to the limitations of that observer. Relativism does NOT presume that there is no universal truth, but only that our limited ability to cognate such a universal truth renders our grasp of it relative (to our own limitations).
I don't agree. If you read posts/writings by strong relativists, they do claim that there is no absolute truth.

Granted there are people who hold the same view that you do; I am one of them. But I am not a relativist. I think some other site described my position as "moral pluralism." All I know is that from my pov there are some ethical positions that are absolute, and for me it is because of this absolute truth that we can't entirely see but we can catch glimspes of. So for me it is always wrong to torture babies for no reason. But for the vast majority of ethical decisions and certainly for epistemological claims, I would be more of a relativist, because I believe as you say, that we can't know what the full truth is.

PureX

Veteran Member
shaktinah said:
I don't agree. If you read posts/writings by strong relativists, they do claim that there is no absolute truth.
I have never met a relativist who had any idea what he was talking about claim to know that an "absolute" truth exists or not. By definition, a relativist could not make such a claim and remain a relativist. The only "relativists" I have ever heard of who believed that there is no truth or claimed to know that all truth is (whatever) were either dilettantes who didn't understand relativism, or the imaginary straw-men of ideological absolutists. The term "relativism" and "relativist" have been co-opted and corrupted by the religious right, who wish to redefine them so as to negate their validity as a philosophical position.
shaktinah said:
Granted there are people who hold the same view that you do; I am one of them. But I am not a relativist. I think some other site described my position as "moral pluralism."
It's important to pay attention to who put up these sites and to what might be their agenda.
shaktinah said:
All I know is that from my pov there are some ethical positions that are absolute, and for me it is because of this absolute truth that we can't entirely see but we can catch glimpses of. So for me it is always wrong to torture babies for no reason. But for the vast majority of ethical decisions and certainly for epistemological claims, I would be more of a relativist, because I believe as you say, that we can't know what the full truth is.
Like most human beings, you are capable of holding onto more than one philosophical perspective at a time, even when they contradict each other. And there is nothing "wrong" in this. I can say that "war is always wrong", yet also say that "war is sometimes necessary", for example. As a human being I am capable of knowing and believing in both of these ideas simultaneously, even though taken literally, they may be seen to contradict each other.

However, in this discussion, I was purposely avoiding my own "feelings" and "beliefs", and trying to stick to the strict definitions of the terms, and the philosophical positions they represent. Philosophical relativism has nothing at all to do with what conservative Christians in America are currently trying desperately to negate and dismiss as "moral relativism". What they are trying to label as "moral relativism" is more akin to nihilism or anarchy.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ozzie said:
I venture you use "opinion" to describe my own versions of truth, too, in order to seperate them from what's actually true" (to others).
That would be expressing my opinion of your opinion.

Ozzie said:
You can have belief about what you hold to be true and not express it to others (as an opinion).
"What I hold to be true" and "what is true" are not the same thing. One is opinion, the other truth; one has me subjectively in the picture, the other does not; one is relativistic, the other absolute.

Ozzie said:
Fair enough point you make about not being able to justify an opinion about the non-existence of an intangible (God). But it does not follow that there is truth distinct from belief as you maintain.
Nevertheless, it is true that that is what I believe.

Ozzie said:
The problem is exactly over notions of validity. Validity implies truth based on external observable evidence. However validity is an assessment you make of that evidence. It is a belief you hold until it is expressed as an opinion to an observer. The notion of valid truth you hold as an absolute doesn't "just go away" any more than what you call opinions.
Through truth, we glimpse reality. Its validity rests in the existence of reality. Regardless of what we know, believe or can observe about reality, if we accept that reality exists (in any form) then we accept that truth exists (have already accepted it).

Our versions can "just go away," because we are mortal... and we change our minds. :)

The thing about the reality that I accept is that it exists regardless of whether we observe it or not, whether we express it or not. That we can (and do) observe and express truth about it does not invalidate that truth --we don't have that kind of power.

Without truth, there is no reality for us. Nothing would be real. That's solipsism; not for me.
:no:

Ozzie said:
If you have to decide between them if they compete that's normal. However, aligning "truth" with reality begs the question of which account to go for . Truth as reality is an idea no different and no better than what you call opinions (to you). But there is a big difference between describing your beliefs and describing reality (what is real) to others. They are not synonymous because in describing notions of reality you hold as truth, you are not describing reality. Rather you describe your notions of valid truth.
Again, "my account of truth" is not "the truth", "my notions of truth" are not "the truth," they are different things. (I hope I'm not offending your beliefs with my base contradiction.) I think the clear distinction is necessary, especially in communication. The concepts don't compete, the complement each other. The truth belongs to reality, not to me. I own opinion.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Interesting to note that some posters are dismissing Encarta's scholarly definitions of absolutism and relativism. If someone has the credentials to disagree with linguistic scholars at Encarta, Oxford, Merriam Webster etc. please let us know.

Either you can make up your own language as you go or rely upon usage presented by the best linguists and scholars available. I prefer the latter as language is our only tool for understanding and making ourselves understood.

=====================================

absolutism

One entry found for absolutism.

Function: noun
1 a : a political theory that absolute power should be vested in one or more rulers b :: DESPOTISM
2 : advocacy of a rule by absolute standards or principles
3 : an absolute standard or principle

relativism

One entry found for relativism.

Function: noun
1 a : a theory that knowledge is relative to the limited nature of the mind and the conditions of knowing b : a view that ethical truths depend on the individuals and groups holding them

Source: Merriam-Webster online

=======================================

ab‧so‧lut‧ism –noun

1.the principle or the exercise of complete and unrestricted power in government. 2.any theory holding that values, principles, etc., are absolute and not relative, dependent, or changeable.

rel‧a‧tiv‧ism  /ˈrɛl
thinsp.png
ə
thinsp.png
təˌvɪz
thinsp.png
əm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rel-uh-tuh-viz-uh
thinsp.png
m] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun

Philosophy any theory holding that criteria of judgment are relative, varying with individuals and their environments.
[Origin: 1860–65; relative + -ism]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)

================================================

absolutism

• noun 1 the principle that those in government should have unlimited power. 2 belief in absolute principles in philosophy.
— DERIVATIVES absolutist noun & adjective.

relativism

• noun the doctrine that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, or historical context, and are not absolute.
— DERIVATIVES relativist noun.

Source: www.askoxford.com

===========================================

Absolutism can mean

Absolute monarchy

Absolutism (see Absolute truth), the contention that in a particular domain of thought, all statements in that domain are either absolutely true or absolutely false

Enlightened absolutism, a term used to describe the actions of absolute rulers who were influenced by the Enlightenment (eighteenth and early nineteenth century Europe)

Moral absolutism, the position that there are absolute standards against which moral questions can be judged, and that certain actions are good or evil, regardless of the context of the act

Political absolutism, a political theory which argues that one person should hold all power.

The theory of space holding that space exists absolutely; in contrast to relationalism which holds that space exists only as relations between objects.

Relativism consists of various theories each of which claims that some element or aspect of experience or culture is relative to, i.e., dependent on, some other element or aspect. For example, some relativists claim that humans can understand and evaluate beliefs and behaviours only in terms of their historical or cultural context. The term often refers to truth relativism, which is the doctrine that there are no absolute truths, i.e., that truth is always relative to some particular frame of reference, such as a language or a culture.

Source: Wikipedia

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
PureX said:
Relativism is the recognition that to a limited observer, truth is itself limited, and therefor relative to the limitations of that observer. Relativism does NOT presume that there is no universal truth, but only that our limited ability to cognate such a universal truth renders our grasp of it relative (to our own limitations).

As long as we humans are limited in our ability to grasp the "whole truth", what truth we will possess will be relative truth. What it will be relative to is our own human limitations.
This makes much more sense (and it's true! ;)).

PureX said:
Likewise, absolutism is not the view that "there is a universal standard of truth" (as most relativists also hold this view); or that "what is true or false depends on what the facts are, not on what individuals or societies believe to be true". Because if this were true, truth would be dependent upon facts and facts are by definition, relative. For example, it is a "fact" that my car is red. But the truthfulness of that fact depends upon what we agree to call "mine", and what we agree to call a "car", and what we agree to call "red", and on the circumstances between the time the statement/observation is made and this exact moment (which is always changing), in which we hold the fact to be true. Facts are by definition relative bits of truth in that they remain true only relative to a specific set of inter-related criteria. And by definition, the term "absolute" implies a state that is NOT dependent upon such external criteria or conditions.
But "what we agree to call car" is, by definition a car; "what we agree to call red" is, by definition, red (the reflected wavelength). These things--observable traits and qualities --are defined by reality not by us; they are only labelled by us. The red car that is red *is* red, and that's a fact about an absolute, about truth. That the earth is round is a fact that is relative in the sense you give, but that the earth was once believed to be round is a fact that is not relative in that sense (unless it is not true).

Some things labelled "fact" are not about the truth. But some are.

PureX said:
I don't know how to define the "absolute truth" because as a human being I have never been able to perceive it and know for certain that I was perceiving it. And that being said, how do we define "absolutism", then?

I would define it as a mythical condition in which a human being presumes that because something appears true to him, that it is then "absolutely true".
"Absolute truth" is tautological: truth is absolute.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
PureX said:
It's important to pay attention to who put up these sites and to what might be their agenda.
I would hope that you would give me enough credit to be aware of that. As for those who disagree with your definition of relativism, I am not going to say whether they are "dilettantes." I do however personally think that anyone who claims to be an "absolute relativist" (I hope that made sense) has not thought their position through carefully enough.

PureX said:
Like most human beings, you are capable of holding onto more than one philosophical perspective at a time, even when they contradict each other. And there is nothing "wrong" in this. I can say that "war is always wrong", yet also say that "war is sometimes necessary", for example. As a human being I am capable of knowing and believing in both of these ideas simultaneously, even though taken literally, they may be seen to contradict each other.
I agree but that's not what I was refering to. As I have already said many times, in my view torturing babies for no reason is always wrong. I will not turn around and say that torturing babies for no reason is sometimes necessary. Ain't gonna happen. To me, slavery is always wrong. It was wrong even when people thought that is was alright. And I will not agree that slavery is sometimes necessary. However, in judging people who live/lived in other contexts, I will agree that it is understandable that some people at some times thought/think that it's ok. I still think they are wrong, but I don't condemn them. Does that make sense?

Basically, if we can't name things such as racism or misogyny or homophobia, etc. as wrong, then we are doomed to allow it.

PureX

Veteran Member
Willamena said:
But "what we agree to call car" is, by definition a car; "what we agree to call red" is, by definition, red (the reflected wavelength). These things--observable traits and qualities --are defined by reality not by us; they are only labeled by us.
That's a clever appropriation of the term "define". *smile* But I think it's somewhat inaccurate. These phenomena that we experience and label "car" and "red" are aspects of reality that we have chosen to separate out from the rest of reality and label. They are part of the whole of reality, and they are parts the we humans happen to be able to cognate. They are held to be true or false relative to each other. "Mine" is mine relative to that which is not mine. "Red" is red relative to that which is not red. "Cars" are cars relative to those objects that are not cars. Thus all these "truths" are only true relative to our having separated them out from the whole of reality and then labeled them as such. The human experience of existence is like this: limited, relative, and true or false always according to this or that criteria (criteria that we have chosen and applied).

This is why we can never logically say for certain that this or that is "absolutely true". Because absolute truth would have to be true apart from any external conditions or criteria. And such a phenomena is beyond our ability to comprehend, if it exists.
Willamena said:
"Absolute truth" is tautological: truth is absolute.
I agree. But the problem with tautologies is that they're essentially meaningless. The state we refer to as "absolute" is essentially an ideal state that we can imagine, but that we can't verify. Same as "infinity", or "God", or any number of similar ideals that we can imagine but that we can't verify because we limited and finite creatures.

PureX

Veteran Member
shaktinah said:
I would hope that you would give me enough credit to be aware of that. As for those who disagree with your definition of relativism, I am not going to say whether they are "dilettantes." I do however personally think that anyone who claims to be an "absolute relativist" (I hope that made sense) has not thought their position through carefully enough.
*smile* Agreed.
shaktinah said:
I agree but that's not what I was referring to. As I have already said many times, in my view torturing babies for no reason is always wrong.
Yes, but this is only your opinion. It's not an observable fact, nor an absolute truth. It's a subjective truth based on your own personal criteria for rightness and wrongness.
shaktinah said:
I will not turn around and say that torturing babies for no reason is sometimes necessary.
But who gets to define what is a "reason" and what's not? .... you do: at least in this scenario. Which is why your statement is a subjective opinion and is not an absolute truth.
shaktinah said:
To me, slavery is always wrong. It was wrong even when people thought that is was alright. And I will not agree that slavery is sometimes necessary. However, in judging people who live/lived in other contexts, I will agree that it is understandable that some people at some times thought/think that it's ok. I still think they are wrong, but I don't condemn them. Does that make sense?
Sure, and I agree with your opinions as well, but none of this has anything to do with absolute truth.
shaktinah said:
Basically, if we can't name things such as racism or misogyny or homophobia, etc. as wrong, then we are doomed to allow it.
Rightness and wrongness are relative. The truth is simply what is. The rightness or wrongness of 'what is' are value judgments that we make based on our chosen definitions and criteria for what's good and right and what's not. They're subjective value assessments.

Pah

Uber all member
Buttons* said:
...Should people be more absolutist? What would it mean for society if people were either one?
Many understand the principle of absolutism. However, no one is absolutist in character. There is nothing that is completely agreed upon universally and eternally. Neither absolute beauty, nor the word of God, nor morality reaches the point of certain, unchallanged, unchanged definition; all are areas in which subjective ideals are assumed as absolute. Any exception to an idea or concept would invalidate a label of absolute

I am fond of saying there are absolutey no absolutes which illustrates my point of understanding and being

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The fact that I seek absolutes on a personal level and humanity on a social (making laws and such), really does volumes to me. The fact that we can't encapsulate them could be a mere flaw on our part.

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:
The fact that I seek absolutes on a personal level and humanity on a social (making laws and such), really does volumes to me. The fact that we can't encapsulate them could be a mere flaw on our part.
Would absolutes on a personal basis be, therefore, relative? A personal basis would not include eternal and unchanging

PureX

Veteran Member
Victor said:
Or, they could simply not exist anywhere but in our own opinionated minds.

If the "truth" is "what is", then it seems to me that being honest is our best hope of being truthful because being honest is about recognizing "what is" within our limited field of perception, and in recognizing, too, that our field of perception IS limited.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
PureX said:
That's a clever appropriation of the term "define". *smile* But I think it's somewhat inaccurate. These phenomena that we experience and label "car" and "red" are aspects of reality that we have chosen to separate out from the rest of reality and label. They are part of the whole of reality, and they are parts the we humans happen to be able to cognate. They are held to be true or false relative to each other. "Mine" is mine relative to that which is not mine. "Red" is red relative to that which is not red. "Cars" are cars relative to those objects that are not cars. Thus all these "truths" are only true relative to our having separated them out from the whole of reality and then labeled them as such. The human experience of existence is like this: limited, relative, and true or false always according to this or that criteria (criteria that we have chosen and applied).
That's solipsism, isn't it? The idea that we create reality by our minds, our congnizance of things?

The labels are arbitrary, I agree, but the traits being labelled are not. They are a distinct part of reality, as you've indicated. That we happen to 'cognate' them doesn't make them any less a part of reality. That they are distinct through our cognizence of them (implying, of course, the chaos of reality), i.e. that they have distinctness from other things that we observe, does not make them a relative thing --relativity is about things relative to a subject, not to other objects.

PureX said:
This is why we can never logically say for certain that this or that is "absolutely true". Because absolute truth would have to be true apart from any external conditions or criteria. And such a phenomena is beyond our ability to comprehend, if it exists.
We can, and do, say true things, and that's different than "true to me" or "held (by me) to be true". As soon as you introduce "me" to the picture, you have introduced a subject, you introduce relativity.

There is nothing that can exist "apart from external conditions or criteria" --that is chaos. Obviously, truth is a different beast.

PureX said:
...the problem with tautologies is that they're essentially meaningless. The state we refer to as "absolute" is essentially an ideal state that we can imagine, but that we can't verify. Same as "infinity", or "God", or any number of similar ideals that we can imagine but that we can't verify because we limited and finite creatures.
True/false is a test of absolute. The distinctness of "red that we observe" as an object from "not-red that we observe" objects, for instance is absolute --it is either red that is observed, or it isn't.

Ðanisty

Willamena said:
We can, and do, say true things, and that's different than "true to me" or "held (by me) to be true". As soon as you introduce "me" to the picture, you have introduced a subject, you introduce relativity.
I would like an example of something that is absolutely true and has nothing to do with people's subjective opinions. As far as I can see, everything that we think, say, or do introduces "me" into the picture.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ðanisty said:
I would like an example of something that is absolutely true and has nothing to do with people's subjective opinions. As far as I can see, everything that we think, say, or do introduces "me" into the picture.
It's true that you asked me to provide an example for you.

Quiddity

Pah said:
Would absolutes on a personal basis be, therefore, relative? A personal basis would not include eternal and unchanging

The innate need for me to seek it, is comfirmed by the tangible world around me. If it's relative to me its irrelavent to the need for it.

Quiddity

PureX said:
Or, they could simply not exist anywhere but in our own opinionated minds.

If the "truth" is "what is", then it seems to me that being honest is our best hope of being truthful because being honest is about recognizing "what is" within our limited field of perception, and in recognizing, too, that our field of perception IS limited.

That is the first step, the second (IMO) is recognizing you do have limits even though your innate need for order asks more of you then your limitations. And a third (this should actually be the first) is recognizing the need.

PureX

Veteran Member
Willamena said:
That's solipsism, isn't it? The idea that we create reality by our minds, our congnizance of things?
Maybe, but I don't agree with that proposition. We aren't creating reality. We're creating a human idea of reality, in our minds. Sometimes we do get confused and forget that the idea of reality that we hold in our minds is not actual reality, but whether we forget or not, reality is still reality, and our idea of it is just our idea of it.
Willamena said:
The labels are arbitrary, I agree, but the traits being labelled are not. They are a distinct part of reality, as you've indicated.
They are distinct by our methods and abilities of perception, yes. But they aren't really "distinct" from each other in reality. A tree is not distinct from a forest, except to us, if we choose to view it that way.
Willamena said:
... that they have distinctness from other things that we observe, does not make them a relative thing --relativity is about things relative to a subject, not to other objects.
But we are the subject. These individual "things" only exist as individual things because we chose to view them that way. A valley, for example, is only a valley because of the hills that are surrounding it. If there were no hills, it would be a plain instead of a valley. Everything is like this. We label this as distinct from that because we are able to perceive a difference. We don't label other things as distinct from each other because we are not capable of perceiving them as different. These "things" and distinctnesses, are generated by our own structural capabilities and limitations. Their identities are dependent upon us, and therefor they are relative to us.
Willamena said:
But how do we take ourself out of the picture? We are the observer. We are the point of view, and the lens through which the vision is defined and understood. We can't escape ourselves.
Willamena said:
There is nothing that can exist "apart from external conditions or criteria" --that is chaos.
Perhaps existence itself is absolute. It's true that everything within existence is relative to everything else within it (as near as we could tell) but existence itself could be absolute, as there is nothing outside of it that it could be dependent upon or otherwise related to.
Willamena said:
True/false is a test of absolute. The distinctness of "red that we observe" as an object from "not-red that we observe" objects, for instance is absolute --it is either red that is observed, or it isn't.
But we're falling into meaningless tautologies, again. "We call it red because red is what we call it, and it's still there no matter what we call it!" Maybe, but it's no more or less there than anything else is or ever was.

Ðanisty

Willamena said:
It's true that you asked me to provide an example for you.
Is it the truth that I asked you for an example or is it the truth that I said I'd like an example? Is it necessarily true that they mean the same thing?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
PureX said:
Maybe, but I don't agree with that proposition. We aren't creating reality. We're creating a human idea of reality, in our minds. Sometimes we do get confused and forget that the idea of reality that we hold in our minds is not actual reality, but whether we forget or not, reality is still reality, and our idea of it is just our idea of it.
Ahh... if you want to speak ony of the labels of these things, as if only the labels exist, and not the things themselves, then truth does become relative. Truth belongs to the things themselves, not the labels of them (which, yes, are relative because, with the introduction of a labeller (us), they become subjective). Then everything becomes a "relative thing", yes. But then you ignore objective reality (eliminate it from the picture).

PureX said:
They are distinct by our methods and abilities of perception, yes. But they aren't really "distinct" from each other in reality. A tree is not distinct from a forest, except to us, if we choose to view it that way.
How can you know that? I'll answer for you: you can't, but it doesn't matter. We either accept that "reality" is real, or we move into solipsism.

PureX said:
But we are the subject.
If we are the subject, then their distinctness is relative to us, not to each other.

PureX said:
These individual "things" only exist as individual things because we chose to view them that way. A valley, for example, is only a valley because of the hills that are surrounding it. If there were no hills, it would be a plain instead of a valley. Everything is like this. We label this as distinct from that because we are able to perceive a difference.
We perceive a difference, because there is one. The alternative is that we create reality in our minds.

PureX said:
We don't label other things as distinct from each other because we are not capable of perceiving them as different. These "things" and distinctnesses, are generated by our own structural capabilities and limitations. Their identities are dependent upon us, and therefor they are relative to us.
What things do you mean, that are different but we don't perceive it, and hence don't label it?

In my opinion, perception does not create reality, just records it. The label of an thing's identity is not the thing itself.

PureX said:
But how do we take ourself out of the picture? We are the observer. We are the point of view, and the lens through which the vision is defined and understood. We can't escape ourselves.
We take ourselves out of the picture imaginatively. The objective perspective is one that includes us in the picture as one of the 'things' looked at in relation to other things, rather than as the subject who is looking at everything. The objective 'subject' is 'universal', and not us. 'Me' is not in the picture; it is replaced by a person (you or me, he or she) whom we can talk about.

PureX said:
Perhaps existence itself is absolute. It's true that everything within existence is relative to everything else within it (as near as we could tell) but existence itself could be absolute, as there is nothing outside of it that it could be dependent upon or otherwise related to.
If we cannot accept an existence that is absolute, we fall into solipsism.

PureX said:
But we're falling into meaningless tautologies, again. "We call it red because red is what we call it, and it's still there no matter what we call it!" Maybe, but it's no more or less there than anything else is or ever was.
Not a tautology at all, because I wasn't talking about the label "red" but the thing the label represents. What we call it is irrelevant.