• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absolutism or Relativism?

Random

Can I pick relative absolutism? Is that allowed?

I like my Truths absolute, but I don't know of any. I like my morals that way too, but it doesn't work in the real world.

Relativism dilutes purity and Absolutism is deterministic and contrary to freewill. Therefore, can it be a matter of choice? Or, more particularly, conscience?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Godlike said:
Can I pick relative absolutism? Is that allowed?

I like my Truths absolute, but I don't know of any. I like my morals that way too, but it doesn't work in the real world.

Relativism dilutes purity and Absolutism is deterministic and contrary to freewill. Therefore, can it be a matter of choice? Or, more particularly, conscience?
hee hee, i like you.

In reality it's hard to actually say that one is completely one way or the other... however, some people value one over the other. I have seen it here in RF. Some people are strictly relativist (a lot actually) and feel that "whatever works for anyone else, I support, it's all relative" ...

But then there are certain things, say, random killing.... everyone can see that this action is morally wrong. It's absolutely wrong. So though not everyone can completely choose one or the other, I'd like to see an argument for one or the other. Why should people be relativistic? Should people be more absolutist? What would it mean for society if people were either one?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Absolutism is often equated with universalism --in other words, if something works for one person, it should work the same for all. If one person thinks something is "wrong", then everyone should also think that thing is "wrong" --only then can it be "universally wrong".

But not everyone does. Everyone has their own ideas about the things that are "wrong," and that includes all things.

Absolutism is unrealistic when applied to certain concepts, like "wrong." But relativism is taken to extremes and declared for everything, even those things that actually are absolute, like "truth." It's silly --they are turned into ideologies (-ism schisms) that people buy into with all the force of a religion, but in truth there is room for each in their proper place.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Willamena said:
Absolutism is often equated with universalism --in other words, if something works for one person, it should work the same for all. If one person thinks something is "wrong", then everyone should also think that thing is "wrong" --only then can it be "universally wrong".

But not everyone does. Everyone has their own ideas about the things that are "wrong," and that includes all things.

Absolutism is unrealistic when applied to certain concepts, like "wrong." But relativism is taken to extremes and declared for everything, even those things that actually are absolute, like "truth." It's silly --they are turned into ideologies (-ism schisms) that people buy into with all the force of a religion, but in truth there is room for each in their proper place.
right, this is what happens with moral relativism and moral absolutism. what if someone is absolutely relative in their morality? Then are they relativist or absolutist?

I guess I wont get anyone to agree that one side is better than the other since they both have to balance out.

Thanks for your post, frubals later :)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Kungfuzed said:
Only a Sith deals in absolutes. :yoda:
so you do not have any morality whatsoever?

Do you have an opinion on anything? Because if you do, and you attempt to get someone to see it your way, you're being absolutist. Do you believe that random killing is wrong? People would absolutely agree that it is wrong.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Buttons* said:
so you do not have any morality whatsoever?

Do you have an opinion on anything? Because if you do, and you attempt to get someone to see it your way, you're being absolutist. Do you believe that random killing is wrong? People would absolutely agree that it is wrong.

I guess you haven't seen the latest Star Wars movie where Anakin and ObiWan face off in a light saber battle. Just my sad attempt at a joke.

A serial killer may disagree that random killings are wrong. Random killings have been going on long before humans even evolved and continue to happen even today.

lunamoth

Will to love
Buttons, Buttons, Buttons. *shalks head* Clearly the only Absolute is the great and magnificent Choodle! All lesser beings must muddle through in the morass of not quite this and not nearly that.

But seriously, how about the middle road? What about morality that is not absolute or completely relative, but morality that is functionally 'good enough.'

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Jay said:
At this point in this thread I have no basis for calling you anything other than, perhaps, sadly insecure.
I never said I had a problem with your name calling, I was simply making the observation that you will probably end up calling me something because you tend to be that way to everyone.

As for definitions:

Absolutism: ab·so·lut·ism n
2. a standard, principle, or theory that is absolute
3. a philosophical theory in which values such as truth or morality are absolute and not conditional upon human perception

Relativism: rel·a·tiv·ism n
the belief that concepts such as right and wrong, goodness and badness, or truth and falsehood are not absolute but change from culture to culture and situation to situation

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
The path to hell is paved with good intentions. Any moral can be excused or pushed aside with the right intentions.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Kungfuzed said:
I guess you haven't seen the latest Star Wars movie where Anakin and ObiWan face off in a light saber battle. Just my sad attempt at a joke.

A serial killer may disagree that random killings are wrong. Random killings have been going on long before humans even evolved and continue to happen even today.
So you feel that the serial killer is a rational human being?

Let's only involve humans for the sake of this argument

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Kungfuzed said:
The path to hell is paved with good intentions. Any moral can be excused or pushed aside with the right intentions.
but then agian, you're destroying your validity for rational thought

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
lunamoth said:
Buttons, Buttons, Buttons. *shalks head* Clearly the only Absolute is the great and magnificent Choodle! All lesser beings must muddle through in the morass of not quite this and not nearly that.

But seriously, how about the middle road? What about morality that is not absolute or completely relative, but morality that is functionally 'good enough.'
That works for me.

Just wondering if anyone favored one side over another.