• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absolutism or Relativism?

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:
For absolutist, reality doesn't even come into the equation with regards to defining it.
I'm not sure to what "it" refers. Absolutism?, reality?
No doubt, we hope it does. For our lives are getting the subjective and making it objective. That's what it's about for some of us. Making it a reality is subject to a medium, which is every single one of us. The medium is flawed, imperfect, and pervious to errors. Trying to capture any absolute in reality is going to be difficult with such mediums.
I think I can understand an objective concept as being subjective - most are. But I don't understand making a subjective concept objective. Could you expound and/or give examples?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Pah said:
I'm not sure to what "it" refers. Absolutism?, reality?
Absolutism.
Pah said:
I think I can understand an objective concept as being subjective - most are. But I don't understand making a subjective concept objective. Could you expound and/or give examples?
Concepts/ideals don't begin outside of self. They begin from within (subjective) and may become tangible (objective) in action or inaction. Patterns in human behaivor may capture these subjective concepts but not necessarily.

Pah

Uber all member
Victor said:

Absolutism.

Concepts/ideals don't begin outside of self. They begin from within (subjective) and may become tangible (objective) in action or inaction. Patterns in human behaivor may capture these subjective concepts but not necessarily.
Thanks!

Some will say that almost all concepts and ideals are taught from subjective parents, teachers, peers and others having personal influence; if not the fully formed concept, at least the crux. However, an original concept may be derived from observation and/or analysis, in which case you would be right.

joeboonda

Pah said:
I don't know why you are smiling. "There are absolutely no absolutes" is not contradictory. "Absolutely" is a adverbal adjective (perhaps, an abjective adverb?) and denotes the is a concent of absolute but does not prove and absolute. My ex-brother-in-law, an English proffesor, did not understand it at first so don't feel lonely.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. The fact is there is definetely absolute truth, Jesus Christ is the truth. Rationalize, intellectualize all one wants, Jesus is Lord.