• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion

Hi Ceridwen,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I am very familiar with Pam Stenzil....She is a dynamic speaker....in fact, I have a video of one of her lectures. She is no longer allowed to speak in our public school system. That is another story all together.

One point that I have heard often, and that you brought up is.......What if Pam Stenzil had been aborted? Or what if, oh , I don't know...Einstein, Mother Theresa or any other great human being who has made magnificent contributions to society had been aborted. Well, the same argument could be said in the other direction.....what if Hitler's mother had aborted him...What if the mothers of Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, etc. had aborted them? Just food for thought :)

I wholeheartedly agree with you that more should be done for women who may choose to continue a pregnancy but may not want the child (for whatever reason). The first step would be for society to be less condemning for those who find themselves pregnant outside of marriage (please note: I am not promoting pre-marital sexbecause actually I am a real prude, just accepting that it does happen...people are human). The next step is to provide a safe and healthy environment and post-counseling and assistance. I totally agree that less women would choose clinical abortions if there was more support available.

I disagree strongly that most women treat an abortion decision as a simple choice like a tooth extraction or a vanity issue like plastic surgery. I have known women who have had an abortion (and not all were the result of a pre-marital situation). In those cases, the decision was not made lightly ...it was an agonizing choice more akin to an amputation than plastic surgery if analogies are needed. I can also say that not one of these women have ever forgotten their abortion. They express regret in terms of having to face that choice but not for their actions.

Obviously, I am pro-choice but I am not pro-abortion. In fact, I have never met a pro-choice individual that believed that abortion should be a method of birth control (I am excluding the use of contraceptive methods such as the pill which is an abortifacient at the moment and focusing on clinical abortions). I believe that those women who subscribe to the belief that abortion is just another method of birth control are as rare as those in the pro-life movement that believe in bombing abortion clinics and killing pro-choice individuals.

What makes me pro-choice comes down to a few simple viewpoints/beliefs:

I believe that every woman's circumstance is different and no blanket decision can be made for everyone. Who knows, except for the woman, perhaps her doctor and her God (if she believes in one) why she may choose an abortion. Trying to make exceptions such as "in the case of severe abnormalities", "in the case of significant health risks of women", etc; may not cover adequately all circumstances and, again, are controversial. Some may think it alright to abort if the mother is at risk of dying while others think that it is more important that the baby be delivered no matter what the risk to the mother. As a pro-choice individual, I don't think that the answer can be absolute either way...its up to the individual and their situation.

The abortion issue runs a wide spectrum with alot of grey areas. There are those who believe adamantly that life begins at conception and therefore birth control methods that are abortifacients (ie: the pill, IUD) should be forbidden, others that have no problem with use of abortifacients to prevent unwanted pregnancy but who oppose clinical abortions, those that believe that abortion is OK up to a certain time frame (ie: when the fetus becomes viable), others who believe that abortion is ok only when a woman is raped; or only when there are severe abnormalities of the fetus (an who is to define severe abnormalites); or only when a mother's health is at risk (who is to define the level of health risk....whether it be stopping vital medication during pregnancy which may significantly impact the woman's health or ability to function or it be a case where the mother's life is in danger medically....and what about those who come from an abusive relationship who fear that they will be beaten or killed because they are pregnant). Can we really, in good conscience, do a blanket mandate?

Religious and/or cultural beliefs are often the backbone of the decisions we make and, in the case of abortion may vary wildly. Not all cultures or religious beliefs consider abortion (from abortifacients to clinical abortions to late term abortions). Again, who can or should be the one to determine when and under what circumstances that abortion should and should be allowed?

There are no easy answers to this issue but I do think there is common ground that we should focus on. Whether an individual supports abortion rights or whether they believe abortion is an abomination, we need to work on preventing unwanted pregnancy (regardless of what the reason the pregnancy is unwanted) so less women face that choice.

I believe that abortion will always exist whether it is legal or not or what the circumstances surrounding the unwanted pregnancy is. Realistically, we should be addressing how we can reduce unwanted pregnancies while at the same time providing the necessary support without moral judgement for those experiencing an unwanted pregnancy.

OK...I am finished rambling....LOL

Scott1

There are no easy answers to this issue but I do think there is common ground that we should focus on. Whether an individual supports abortion rights or whether they believe abortion is an abomination, we need to work on preventing unwanted pregnancy (regardless of what the reason the pregnancy is unwanted) so less women face that choice.
Very good point............ Great post.

Peace,
Scott

Hello,
There is hundreds of women who regret their abortions, there is a post abortion sydrome. The women cry over their babies a lot. They are not monsters neither the doctor is monsters, they are human beings who cry over their actions and their babies. Abortion is no easy thing to take in one step. In fact, abortion is the real monster that hurt the mother,father,child and the doctor. Abortion is ugly when you see these people hurt. There is no easy answer but we must CONDEMN abortion and embrace the mothers and everyone that's involved. Remember, abortion is no easy fix for your life and your baby's life, you are sadly deceived by the pro choicers.The human baby is NOT a blob or tissues that can be put away in the basin or vacumed or put in trashs.The babies deserve to live and the mother deserve to be happy and the doctor deserve a better surgery than abortion and the father deserve a better deal. Abortion is the worst form of putting away unwanted babies.

Ceridwen018

One point that I have heard often, and that you brought up is.......What if Pam Stenzil had been aborted? Or what if, oh , I don't know...Einstein, Mother Theresa or any other great human being who has made magnificent contributions to society had been aborted. Well, the same argument could be said in the other direction.....what if Hitler's mother had aborted him...What if the mothers of Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, etc. had aborted them? Just food for thought :)
That's a very good point...I don't know what to say to that!

I disagree strongly that most women treat an abortion decision as a simple choice like a tooth extraction or a vanity issue like plastic surgery. I have known women who have had an abortion (and not all were the result of a pre-marital situation). In those cases, the decision was not made lightly ...it was an agonizing choice more akin to an amputation than plastic surgery if analogies are needed. I can also say that not one of these women have ever forgotten their abortion. They express regret in terms of having to face that choice but not for their actions.
Yeah, that was a huge generalization on my part. It's not quite what I meant, but I couldn't think of a different way to say it. I agree with you that most women think very hard and seriously about their abortions.

All in all, very good post, civilcynic....it's making me think very hard.

trishtrish10

if a doctor tells a woman she or the baby could die from a pregnancy, get another doctor. today we have enough technology that this will not happen. try the Mao clinic if necessary, or else get referals from them.

the choice was made when deciding to have sex, not afterwards where an innocent life is sacrificed for the comfort or convenience of the the Mother. doctors should and will be held accountabel for what they do either in this life or the next. most abortion performing doctors in the u.s. are now foreign as are most of ther nurses, counselors, receptionists,etc. the average rate of employment in this area: counselors, receptionists, turns over every three months. like the guards of jewish and catholic concentration camps in ww2, they goe nuts. some even comitt suicide.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya, well it doesnt change the fact that my grammy, several years ago had to get an abortion. because of gawd knows what her husband did. and she had diabetes and had to. or else both the baby and she would have died.

will she go to hell? certainly not. you know, some couples dont even deserve to be parents, dont deserve to have children. they are just rotton. really.

Ceridwen018

if a doctor tells a woman she or the baby could die from a pregnancy, get another doctor. today we have enough technology that this will not happen. try the Mao clinic if necessary, or else get referals from them.
Alright trish, things are staring to get ridiculous. Do you know anything of obstetrics at all? We most certainly do NOT have the technology to prevent every possible cause of death for mother or baby. Childbirth is still a highly dangerous endeavor. We have overcome some problems, such as the umbilical cord being wrapped around the neck, baby trying to come out backwards (I'm living proof of that one), etc., but there are hundreds of others. I DARE you to look up 'Harlequin Fetuses' online. If that doesn't shut you up then nothing will.

most abortion performing doctors in the u.s. are now foreign as are most of ther nurses, counselors, receptionists,etc. the average rate of employment in this area: counselors, receptionists, turns over every three months. like the guards of jewish and catholic concentration camps in ww2, they goe nuts. some even comitt suicide.
If you say so trish. Where are the official stats on those?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
pah said:
More than 95% of abortions are not consider by many to the taking of life - at least not a life of a human being. There is a distinction between human life and a human being's life.
What distinction is that? When/how does the former become the latter?

trishtrish10

if ure mother told u u would die if u ate of the fruit of knowledge, would u believe her? i get my info from the media. not everything i believe do i have to see with my own eyes as i trust many people like our president to give me correct info., and when i am skeptical, i do research, which never hurt anyone. if i only believed what i could find documented i would be very ignorant.

Ceridwen018

not everything i believe do i have to see with my own eyes
Well obviously, since you believe in the bible.

i trust many people like our president to give me correct info.
Just because someone holds a position of authority, does not mean they're above questioning. I would like to think that our president is trustworthy, and I'm not saying I think our current president is not, but I would never assume him so.

and when i am skeptical, i do research
That's usually what skepticism entails, yes. The question then, is how often are you skeptical?

I think it's interesting that you talk of abortion in every post you make, it seems. yet in the one thread dedicated to the subject, you fail to say anything relevant. Let's get back on topic, shall we?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
trishtrish10 said:
i get my info from the media. not everything i believe do i have to see with my own eyes as i trust many people like our president to give me correct info.

ROTFLMAO! Maybe it's the beer, but I just found this statement very funny... :p

PinkLemon

here's my opinion on abortion: i think it should be legal, even if it's not legal some women are still going to butcher themselves with knives to get rid of the baby. So here's how i see it, a clean doctor doing it, or some scared girl chopping herself up.

trishtrish10

by legalizing abortion it gives false credibility and more young women are going to be susceptible to it. coat hangar abortions still exist. in one county it can be done for 80 dollars, less than the 300-500 dollars a doctor would charge who is likely to injure the mother anyway. abortion is dangerous no matter what the method. adopting the baby out is a better solution. the best solution is abstinence. the choice was made when deciding to have sex. along with pleasure comes responsibility.

Trishtrish,

Although I realize that you have very strong feelings regarding this issue...is it really necessary to have 2 separate threads?

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Anyone who is interested in abortion should actually research it before they go around airing their opinions. Not trying to be mean at all, but no one here, despite their intentions, seems to be more than about 40% informed either way. Fix it. I strongly encourage anyone interested to look it up on both sides of the issue! You owe it to humanity to have an opinion, and if you're going to have one you oughtta know what you're talkin' 'bout!

Check out these sites and compare:

Planned Parenthood at www.plannedparenthood.org
(Also take the time to look at the history of planned parenthood and it's founder if you can find that information, note that it isn't on their website. Hint: this is very important and may shock you!)
National Right To Life at www.nrlc.org. Click on the abortion or infanticide link. (I found the state chapter's websites to be even more informative, and you can find that by typing in keywords "national right to life" and the name of your state.)
Another helpful resource is abortionfacts.com. I strongly reccomend this article: http://www.abortionfacts.com/providers/providers.asp.
These will give you a lot more understanding on the issue and you will be able to have a better argument.
Good will to all and I hope you learn something you can use.
Johnny's girl

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
You may also be interested to know that the woman who started the whole legalization of abortion because of the court decision on Roe V. Wade, Ms. Roe is now pro-life.

"The most merciful thing a large family can do for one of it's infant members is to kill it." - the founder of planned parenthood.

Some champion for women's rights.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
as far as Abortion goes I just have two words... Harlequin Fetus.

don't look it up unless you really want to see one of the terrible things that can go wrong with pregnancy.... it is a very disturbing (and painfully fatal) birth defect.

Blanket bans on medical procedures are wrong... these procedures are developed with good reason.

wa:do