• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion

Is Abortion Evil?

Abortion is a taking of a beautiful life and make the mother unhappy.
Abortions should be banned in all countries in the world.
:mad: Why do doctors encourage it? It's totally evil and straight from Satan the Divider. Abortion drive me up the wall. I love babies. They're so CUTE. They're little :angel: That should be enough.
Replies please

Pah

Uber all member
More than 95% of abortions are not consider by many to the taking of life - at least not a life of a human being. There is a distinction between human life and a human being's life. Some will say that a human begins and has life at conception and that is true but those who understand medicine and biology will say conception is not the point at which a human being should be recognized.

Abortion is the recognition by government that a woman has a right to contol her own body and the state, who has an interest in the fetus begining in the second trimester, does not until the third trimester. To ban abortion would hold captive women who do not wish, for whatever reason, to end prematurely the developement of a child. The decision by the US Supreme Court recognizes that there must be a balancing of rights between a woman and the rights of the state. This has been confirmed by a few significant cases since Roe v Wade. I think many counties follow the intent of what America has decided.

Doctors do not encourage abortion - those who will perform abortion do so at the direction of the woman involved.

You will be interested to know that the Church, from rather early in its history, has condoned some type of abortion for a number of centuries. It was changed relatively recentl to outlaw abortion as a sin.

Interesting but If you're raped, you'll give the baby to be adopted, If you try to abort, oh dear. 94% of women who aborted their babies regretted deeply their decision to abort. It's true. I got it from Catholic pro life research on the web, not that I'm Catholic.
64% of women got medical complications from abortions.
Abortion is not safe and emotionally draining to the mother.
Oh and there's some death from it.

God love you

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
well its good and bad. i mean, if people have medical complications and want an abortion or else the child and mother will lose thier life, then its acceptable, i think.

but when selfish mothers have sex and drugs and put the child's life in danger, whats the point?

personally i would want my child to be brought up in the best surroundings possible. and i believe in reincarnation. oh well...

Yerda

Veteran Member
Abortion is an issue with more shades of grey than any I can imagine. As a male type I'm not sure of the validity of my opinions so I try to have none.

The right of a woman to control her body is definitely important. I think equally important is a woman's responsibility to control her body.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
why cant the same be said about gay marriage? i think people should vote... but then again, should people vote on abortion?

dan

How about this: does the will of the massees dictate morality? If you say yes then you belong to the least respected of the moral philosophies - that of the moral relativists. If it does not then please offer your reasoning for your moral judgments. I am curious to know just how y'all come to your opinions.

Pah

Uber all member
dan said:
How about this: does the will of the massees dictate morality? If you say yes then you belong to the least respected of the moral philosophies - that of the moral relativists. If it does not then please offer your reasoning for your moral judgments. I am curious to know just how y'all come to your opinions.

Dan, you have already said God is a relavist in another thread
Absolutely. What is wrong at one point in time may be required at another. It is God's prerogative to make laws and change them, and it is not our right to judge Him for it.

Master Vigil

You also let the mass of the christian society to govern your decisions. For what you get from that book is close to what alot of others get from it. And I would not say that is being relative, I would say that is gullible and lazy. If however you get your ideas of morality only from yourself, than would others have the same idea?? No of course not, it may be close but not exact. That is where abortion lies. Not within the majority vote, but within the individuals decision.

Oh, and I highly respect relativists. I only know you who does not.

dan

God can change the rules, but He does not change them in obedience to the whims of the masses, which is moral relativism. Go take a few classes on moral philosophy and tell me how often they talk about relativism. They don't. My last textbook mentioned that they would not cover moral relativism because there really are no serious relativists in the world. The book said most of them are pot smoking college freshmen that really don't know anything about morality or philosophy. I happen to agree. Anyone who allows the will of society to dictate their moral conviction has a fool for a master. Real philosophers try to reach a little higher than what Total Request Live thinks is cool.

I would like to state that I do not in any way let the mass of Christian society dictate anything I say or believe. If you pay attention to my posts you'll see that I'm anything but a mainstream Christian. Christianity these days is as far from the Gospel of Christ as the ground is from the sky.

Master Vigil

Maybe what I am talking about is not relativism. Yyou are not mainstream christian, that makes your interpretation of the bible different from anothers. And that makes what is right for you different than what is right for another. I never said to allow the masses to dictate morality, I said to let yourself dictate your morality. So who is right? You or another? What is right for you, is not right for another and visa versa. That is why morality can change. There is no god to change it, we change it within ourselves.

dan

But truth is not relative, it is absolute. Someone is right and someone is wrong. Society is not right, I can tell you that right now.

As far as the Lord goes, I know beyond an inkling of a doubt that the knowledge I have comes directly from God. Mainstream Christianity is (for the most part) about money and power, it has littlt to do with the Lord.

If you think morality can change then you're morality can never be right.

Pah

Uber all member
dan said:
But truth is not relative, it is absolute. Someone is right and someone is wrong. Society is not right, I can tell you that right now.

Truth is always relative to untruth. Nobody is completely right or completely wrong but somewhere on the range of that dynamic. Absolutes only exist as an ideal, a figment of the mind, and are never attainable.

If you think morality can change then you're morality can never be right.

Morality is a social creation and differs from culture to culture. If you come from a cannibal tribe to western culture, your morality must change. If you have the cultural morality of the Old Testament, you would be imprisioned by today's mainline society and gain the cultural morality of a prision inmate. You are bound to suffer in some respect when you fail to change your morality to the new group you join.

dan

Truth is always relative to untruth. Nobody is completely right or completely wrong but somewhere on the range of that dynamic. Absolutes only exist as an ideal, a figment of the mind, and are never attainable.

That's a very prevelant theory, but how do you prove it?

Pah

Uber all member
dan said:
]

That's a very prevelant theory, but how do you prove it?

I don't think philosophy has any proofs

Master Vigil

"But truth is not relative, it is absolute. Someone is right and someone is wrong. Society is not right, I can tell you that right now."

I agree that there is one truth, yet I also know that there is such a thing as perception. I don't believe any two people perceive anything in the exact same way, therefore we will never know the "truth", only our perception of it which is subjective and relative.

"As far as the Lord goes, I know beyond an inkling of a doubt that the knowledge I have comes directly from God. Mainstream Christianity is (for the most part) about money and power, it has littlt to do with the Lord."

I know beyond an inkling of a doubt that the knowledge you have comes directly from an idea of god, not god itself. Unless you are the only one god talks to.

"That's a very prevelant theory, but how do you prove it?"

Just think... this forum exists for debating. Each person debates different ideas in which they believe is truth. Which one is right?? If you say you are, another will say they are. If you say no one is, than truth will never be known. Only perception will. There is your proof.

dan

So how can you make such claims with such seemingly impregnable conviction if they're nothing more than theories and guesses?

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
thats the whole point. to think for ourselves. sure, theres no proof, but it sure beats the hell outta quoting from scripture. scripture is just another persons ideas in reality.

you may say God talks through scriptures, but why dont you think foryourself and let God speak to you?