• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
painted wolf said:
as far as Abortion goes I just have two words... Harlequin Fetus.

don't look it up unless you really want to see one of the terrible things that can go wrong with pregnancy....

I did look this up and yes it is a very serious deformity and it's sad that something like this can happen. As to whether or not this is a legitimate argument for abortion. Use common sense!!

Keep in mind that this is EXTREMELY rare, only about 100 cases have been reported world wide. More people than that are killed by dogs every day, should we kill all dogs? Whereas most abortion cases are performed on healthy not-yet born and partially born babies. So this is extremely beside the point.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most of these harlequin fetus babies will die on their own, though even some of them have survived. Who are we to say who should live and who should die? If the child is truly suffering that is one thing, but to kill a healthy little human being merely because it is convenient to do so is quite another.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I urge all anti-choice adults to adopt unwanted children. I wonder how many are and have willingly adopted children who have physical, mental or emotional handicaps. Most of those who are adopting are looking for a healthy infant without any 'background' baggage such as an alcoholic or drug addicted mother and who have had good pre-natal care.

I have known many individuals who have adopted and not a single one of those couples were willing to take on the challenge of a potentially impaired infant. It would be interesting to know how many individuals in this forum has adopted such a child or plans to do so.

Good for you, Gerani! Why wait til your married.....many single women adopt! Of course, the single women I knew who adopted did so with children from another country. Healthy American babies who have had good pre-natal care are hard to come by unless you go through a private adoption which is very expensive

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
About 150,000 babies are born each year with birth defects. The parents of one out of every 28 babies receive the frightening news that their baby has a birth defect.

Birth defects are the leading cause of death in the first year of life.

When a baby has a structural birth defect, some part of the body (internal or external) is missing or malformed. Heart defects are the most common type of structural birth defect, affecting one baby in 125.

Spina bifida (open spine, in which the backbone never completely closes and the spinal cord is usually malformed) affects one in 2,000 babies.

About one baby in 135 has a structural defect involving the genitals or urinary tract.

Metabolic disorders affect one in 3,500 babies.

source the March of Dimes: http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/681_1206.asp

oh and Harliquin fetus isn't as rare as you think. occurs in 1 in 300,000 births
info from The Internet Journal of Pediatrics and Neonatology
http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijpn/vol2n1/harlequin.xml

wa:do

Melody

The law has set an arbitrary date to when a fetus is actually considered a human and exempt from being aborted.

I worked as a medical transcriptionist (years ago) at Rose Medical Center in Denver and had to type up numerous abortion procedures. The vivid descriptions of the procedure and and "fetus" made me sick to my stomach. I can't even imagine going to any of these websites to see the pictures.

I eventually quit my job because I couldn't handle hearing about "viable" infants being left in pans to expire on their own or of recognizable little arms and legs being suctioned out in pieces as the "fetus" was torn limb from limb. Please don't tell me this is not the norm. I typed the reports. In many cases, these were 2nd, 3rd and 4th abortions for these women. They were using abortion as birth control.

As a Christian, abortion has never been an option for me. I've never been a victim of rape and a resulting pregnancy, nor have I had to deal with the possibility of a pregnancy gone wrong. If that ever happens, I pray that my faith is strong enough to rely on God's love and strength and the belief that there is a purpose for everything. However, since this is a religious issue for me, I don't know whether I have the right to force that opinion on other women and until then cannot in all good conscience vote against abortion.

I would like to see more pre-counseling to those considering abortion and yes, I think they need to see pictures of aborted infants. Let them know up front what they're doing so that later when they run across these pictures they don't regret what they did because they didn't quite understand. I would also like to see the government take some of that money they're happily plowing into a war in another country to provide free birth control implants in women who can't afford them. It seems senseless to me that in this day and age of contraceptives, there are still women getting pregnant because they "forgot" or couldn't afford a contraceptive.

Melody

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Melody said:
However, since this is a religious issue for me, I don't know whether I have the right to force that opinion on other women and until then cannot in all good conscience vote against abortion.
Melody

Okay, this makes no sense to me. Do you or do you not understand that abortion is murder? Because I do. I HAVE seen those pictures and there is nothing else it could possibly be. Those are pictures of dead babies, not "choices", not "part of a woman's body". And because I know what it is and that it is evil I can not understand how people like you can say they don't want to vote pro-life for various reasons. If all murder were legal you would vote against it, but because you have heard so many times about "choice" and a woman's "right to her body" part of you obviously still believes it is not murder. I understand how people can be pro-choice. They don't understand. What I can't understand is people like you who do know and refuse to stand up for what's right. Why?? Are you afraid of making people angry? Being politically incorrect? Or are you just like all those people who watched the trains go by heading to the concentration camps in Germany and simply did not want to get involved.

Melody[/QUOTE]I would also like to see the government take some of that money they're happily plowing into a war in another country to provide free birth control implants in women who can't afford them. It seems senseless to me that in this day and age of contraceptives, there are still women getting pregnant because they "forgot" or couldn't afford a contraceptive.
Melody[/QUOTE]
Please, do you really think most people get pregnant because they "forget" or "can't afford a contraceptive."? Condoms cost less than 10 dollars a package. A diaphragm costs 60$ and can be used for one year. Birth control shots are less expensive than abortions, and yet people manage to afford them. I do not endorse the use of birth control as I believe in abstinence for non married people, but lets face it, they don't use it because they don't care. And don't forget the fact that sometimes it simply does not work anyway. People get pregnant on the pill all the time, my ob/gyn even told me this. Anyone who has sex should realize that it could result in a child. If they are not prepared to have one, then they shouldn't have sex!

And just for everyone's general information, birth control still remains the number one cause of abortion. You can preach all you like about rape, incest, deformity, risks, and the like, but those things account for less than 7% of abortions performed today, and even those reasons are never varified, it is simply what the mother told the abortionists when asked.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
Good for you, Gerani! Why wait til your married.....many single women adopt! Of course, the single women I knew who adopted did so with children from another country. Healthy American babies who have had good pre-natal care are hard to come by unless you go through a private adoption which is very expensive

um, im a man.... haha. its okay.

Melody

>>They don't understand. What I can't understand is people like you who do know and refuse to stand up for what's right.>>

What is right? That a woman who is raped is forced to go to term on a pregnancy at the risk of her own sanity? That a woman is forced to have a child at the risk of her own life? That a woman is forced to have a child that will be severely deformed and require lifelong 24/7 care? Sorry....I'm not feeling so God-like that I feel it's up to me to force that on any woman. I leave the judge, jury and executioner role up to the Lord. I think it is quite abominable to compare this with the Nazi slaughter. I see no comparison.

-------------

>>ease, do you really think most people get pregnant because they "forget" or "can't afford a contraceptive."? <snip> I do not endorse the use of birth control as I believe in abstinence >>

An implant would probably solve much of this and yes I know that sometimes they don't work as well. No solution is perfect, but I do believe it would go a long way towards controlling unwanted pregnancies because it rules out the money, forgetfulness and lazy issues.

I believe in abstinence as well; however, I also made sure my sons were knowledgeable about birth control. I don't have any daughters but if I did, I would much rather they come to me about birth control than to lecture them about abstinence and have to deal later with an unwanted pregnancy.

Melody

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
>>ease, do you really think most people get pregnant because they "forget" or "can't afford a contraceptive."? <snip> I do not endorse the use of birth control as I believe in abstinence >>

um, some people get caught up in the moment.

im all for birth control and condoms. they help to stop stds and unwanted birth! i would certainly love to be born to parents who wanted me, not to be a mistake.
but of course, abstinence is the best contraceptives. couples who really loved each other would wait till they were married. its with the right person, but perhaps the wrong time.

Gerani1248 said:

um, im a man.... haha. its okay.

Lol....ooops, sorry! Anyways, single men can adopt too!

trishtrish10

celebrate life!!!! pregnancy is something to be happy about. love life. encourage others to love all life. let's all help one another. let's care about life. multiply. make a friend.

PinkLemon

actually.. the world is being overpopulated so encouraging people to multiply is kinda not the smartest thing (sorry i just got done studying this is science class)

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Okay, I am glad to be able to read everyone's thoughts on this matter. I wish you all the best. This will be my last visit to this forum as I have a wonderful baby daughter and it makes me sick when I look at her to think of all the sweet babies like her who have been murdered by abortion. I know I have learned a lot and I hope I have helped someone else in some way. I would rather actually go out and help people who are in this situation than sit and type about it, and that's what I'm going to do. So here is what I have to say on the matter:

When it comes to abortion I have said it before and I will say it again. Rape, incest, risks to the mother, and physical deformity account for less than 7% of all abortions performed in the U.S. today. In fact, before the decision Roe V. Wade legalized all abortions for any reason for all 9 months of pregnancy, it was already legal to abort in certain cases due to severe deformity, risks and the like. Personally I believe that rape is no reason to kill an innocent child. It is not a quick fix, it does have severe psychological after effects on the mother, and it is still the gruesome murder of a healthy developing child whom somebody would love to raise. Yes rape is a horrible evil and shouldn't happen, but is not the child's fault! Many women have kept a child produced from rape and said that they felt something good had come from something very bad, and just as many have had abortions because of rape and regretted it for the rest of their lives.

As for deformity, that is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. If any person is suffering horribly the decision should always be carefully considered as to whethere ending their life would be best for THEM. Abortion is not a painless or safe way to end a life, either, look at the procedures they do! Too often deformed children are able to live and yet are aborted because no one is willing to take special care of them like they need, and I think that is a sad statement on humanity. Yes, my husband and I are willing to adopt a deformed or challenged child in the future, and we plan on it.

As for severe risks to the mother's life, it is very rare and also very rare that abortion is going to decrease those risks in the long run. (please visit nrlc.org for more info on this)Anyway it is a horrible situation to be in to have to choose between one life and another, not something that should be taken lightly!
Personally I would choose my child's life over mine, if it came to that, but I don't believe abortion should be outlawed in very specific cases such as this, though it is still a terrible thing.
As for birth control, I still say that abstinence is the only way for non-married people. First off, every method of birth control has risks to your health and to a possible child's health (except the rythm method). Anyone who has sex needs to understand that it's whole biological purpose is for reproduction, and be willing to face the consequences that may result. People are seperate from animals in that they can control themselves! It may not be easy, but it is certainly easier if you stay away from drunken parties and situations where you may be tempted to lose control. My personal belief is that you should not get physical with anyone unless you are willing to commit and be partners with them for life.
Another sad comment I want to share is that who says it's really a woman's choice anyway? There are many many cases every day when a woman or girl is pressured to have an abortion by her family, her boyfriend, or people she turns to for help, even if she would rather keep her child.
And here is a question for all of you, what about the father? Why is it that he has no rights? It is biologically his child just as much as it is hers. I have a friend who's girlfriend went and had an abortion without even telling him. He never got over it. He would have loved to raise that child himself and now he always wonders whether it was a boy or girl, and how it would've been.
I encourage everyone to help women who are thinking about having an abortion. Tell them what it is, tell them they don't have to do it, that there are other options, let them tell you their fears. Be kind. Being pregnant is scary at first! I know! But the result can be so beautiful.
Look up abortion for yourselves, look at the pictures for yourself, it is not a lump of tissue we're talking about here. Think of all the childless couples waiting on waiting lists for precious babies who aren't there because somebody decided they should be torn apart and torn out of the world.
Who are we to make that decision. If life is not precious in all it's forms, then none of us are precious. And yet I think we all are. God loves all of you.
Good will to all.
Johnny's girl

trishtrish10

wealthy people use many tools to gain wealth, including politicians, science, etc. just because someone tells u we have an overpopulation problem doesn't mean so. there is plenty of room for everyone especially if the wealthy were to help. instead they want less people because that means more wealth for them. governments are responsible for poverty not their citizens. if all governments enacted fair laws, no one would be poor but by choice, and we could multiply even faster.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
trish, we are overpopulated. go visit some places around the world. ill give you a list, bombay (mumbai) the worlds most biggest city. go to mexico city, go to madras (chennai), go to beijing go to afrika. jeze. south india is in a drought. i dont the we need more people to take up the water supply. i think we should adopt. two good deeds in one act.

PinkLemon

it's not about wealth. it's about things like using up earth's resources. scientists say (or so by the film i watched), that by the end of this century we'll reach our population limit.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Just something for those who think that anyone who supports abortion legalization are not sensitive to the issue- consider that there are people who believe that abortion should be legal, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they support it. Me? Even under in the most horrible circumstances imaginable, I do not think I would ever get one. If a friend, sister or co-worker were thinking of getting one, I would try to present every alternative possible to them.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to let the government- a government which has, time and again, devoted funding and support to researching 'male' concerns while leaving their female counterparts in the dust- tell me what I can and can't do, legally, to my body.

And before one makes such broad statements as 'you've never been in that situation,' my mom was strongly encouraged to abort me by my father and her boss. I can easily see it having happened to me, and y'know what? I, as a fetus/baby/ embryo, would not have held it against her if she had.

(PinkLemon, I still love your icon!)

PinkLemon

yep..gotta love the c-dog o'brien (hehe), but about abortion, i think it should be legal, especially in america. i mean how can we be free if they're taking away some choices/freedoms? oh..and this is off topic but..what does the "coins" thing under our profile mean?