• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Texas Welcome...come on in.

epronovost

I think the OP tone is in bad taste (but then again I think the OP has a general lack of judgement should he or she be an adult). This is a tragic event. Three person got killed during a burglary. I do not envy the person who had to kill those men. While it might have been justifiable and in self-defense, it doesn't make it easy on the mind. PTSD is a huge risk for everybody involved in this incident. I don't think it deserves a celebratory tone.

As for using this event to defend the idea that a widesprayed possession of weapons for self defense is going to make a society safer and more orderly, I think this is wrongheaded and fallacious. Heavily armed societies aren't more crime free or safer than largely unarmed ones. Security and order aren't achieved individually but in community. Strong, open communities produce safety and low criminality.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Nah! This looks very dodgy to me.
A neighbour has said that he does not think that the men broke in, he also thinks it was not a burglary because there is nothing of value in the home.

Apparently three young guys parked on the driveway and walked to the home so the son hid and waited for them.

The police have charged the son and a Grand Jury must decide if there is a case to answer.

@Good-Ole-Rebel ...... you've 'jumped the gun' mate! :p
Source?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
ABC, Channel 13 news.

abc13.com/3-men-shot-to-death-1-other-injured-during-attempted-burglary/5779698/

Good-Ole-Rebel
Ha ha! Rubbish reporting, looks like.

That was no burglary! The three visiting youths parked on the trailer's driveway.

Neighbours think it was some kind of confrontation.
Was this drug or other-crime related.
As soon as I read that the son hid and waited for the three youths it seemed obvious that this was no ordinary intrusion or break in.

Let's see what a Grand Jury thinks about it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I just asked google.com and a news report was there to read.

I copied some of it and so can show it here.
You should try google.com, you know, it shows various reports very quickly........................

The incident unfolded when three men backed into the driveway of a mobile home in the 1800 block of Amie Michele Lane off Sheldon Road near Wood Road sometime Monday morning, Gonzalez said. One of two residents inside the home spotted the three men exiting the car and walking toward the home.
Gonzalez said the resident told detectives that he saw at least one of the three men armed with a gun, so he hid inside the house. The three men entered the home, although it was not immediately clear if they forced their way in or simply walked in, Gonzalez said. That’s when the second resident, hearing the commotion, exited a room armed with a shotgun and opened fire on the three men inside the house, killing them all where they stood, Gonzalez said.
However, Martinez said he has doubts about the authorities’ version of the crime.
“They say it may have been a robbery. I don’t think it was a robbery. It looks more like, I don’t know, revenge or something like that,” Martinez said. “Those boys had nothing of value in that house. It wouldn’t be the house that a thief would choose to steal in this neighborhood.”

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

You should try google.com, you know, it shows various reports very quickly........................

The incident unfolded when three men backed into the driveway of a mobile home in the 1800 block of Amie Michele Lane off Sheldon Road near Wood Road sometime Monday morning, Gonzalez said. One of two residents inside the home spotted the three men exiting the car and walking toward the home.
Gonzalez said the resident told detectives that he saw at least one of the three men armed with a gun, so he hid inside the house. The three men entered the home, although it was not immediately clear if they forced their way in or simply walked in, Gonzalez said. That’s when the second resident, hearing the commotion, exited a room armed with a shotgun and opened fire on the three men inside the house, killing them all where they stood, Gonzalez said.
However, Martinez said he has doubts about the authorities’ version of the crime.
“They say it may have been a robbery. I don’t think it was a robbery. It looks more like, I don’t know, revenge or something like that,” Martinez said. “Those boys had nothing of value in that house. It wouldn’t be the house that a thief would choose to steal in this neighborhood.”
3 burglars shot dead after breaking into Channelview home, sheriff says

See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
One of the rare times I agree with @Good-Ole-Rebel , but I would not go so far as to celebrate tbese events. Anyone breaking into an occupied house is almost begging for the results.
Thank you for this. Your two points are excellent: the second, that breaking into someone's house puts you at risk, and if that risk happens, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Your first point, however, is more important: this is not something to "celebrate," which I think @Good-Ole-Rebel seems to do. He gives every appearance of quite enjoying the deaths of others. I don't perceive that as a necessarily "Christian" value, myself.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Did anyone say "all" who shoot an intruder do so from bloodlust? @9/10ths please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I understood you to be talking specifically about the people like the OP who posture and fantasize about killing people, rather than every single instance of self defence?
I'm talking about people who keep guns specifically for "self-defense" (though keep in mind I said it was slight hyperbole).

Now... not all guns are kept for "self-defense." I can acknowledge the possibility that a gun kept for some other purpose - target shooting, say - might get used in a panic situation, but I also think that these events are very rare.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Therefore, I consider people that are committing the crime of breaking and entering to be risking their own lives by their own choice. If they get shot and die it's their fault. Harsh but necessary.

One of the rare times I agree with @Good-Ole-Rebel , but I would not go so far as to celebrate tbese events. Anyone breaking into an occupied house is almost begging for the results.

You know, if I had to pick one group of people who I would hope had a sense of personal responsibility, it's people who are making plans to use deadly force against other people.

If you keep a gun in your home, what you choose to do with that gun is your choice. Don't pretend that you're powerless to do anything other than kill an intruder; if you think that killing someone in that situation is the right decision, say so. Proudly proclaim why you think it's the best outcome you had available and own your choice.

Don't pretend you have no choice in that situation; of course you do. If you are prepared to take a life in some circumstance, the least you should be able to do is to clearly articulate why you think taking that life was best.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Last week in the Houston area some would be home invaders entered a home for no good purposes. Three of them were killed by the teenage son living there who had a shotgun.

Today I hear of a shooter in Foat Wuth area. He entered a church and killed one, but was then killed by parishioners who were packing.

Praise God for the 2nd amendment. When you come to Texas, you should know that if you want to go shooting in a church, or break into someones home...the last thing you may see is a bright light...and it aint heaven.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Yes, this reminds me how much I hated Texas when I had the misfortune to live there for a couple of years. :D

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Last week in the Houston area some would be home invaders entered a home for no good purposes. Three of them were killed by the teenage son living there who had a shotgun.

Today I hear of a shooter in Foat Wuth area. He entered a church and killed one, but was then killed by parishioners who were packing.

Praise God for the 2nd amendment. When you come to Texas, you should know that if you want to go shooting in a church, or break into someones home...the last thing you may see is a bright light...and it aint heaven.

Good-Ole-Rebel
you suppose the shooter appreciated the 2nd amendment as much as his other fellow texans? sounds like texans killing texans to me

Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

evidently jesus thought violence just created more violence?

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, it might have been a case of drugs or cash being in the house. That's what most "home invasion" robberies turn out to be.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That means they were dangerous and probably would be even more dangerous if you as the home owner are not armed.
Two people in opposite sides of a situation both decide to arm themselves, but only one of them is dangerous?

I agree of course on a personal level. I would not kill unless I was forced into it.
You're never forced into it.

But ... since we aren't there and can't witness the events unfold. We have to give people the right to defend themselves in less than savory ways.
There's a difference between defending onesself in the heat of the moment and deliberately keeping deadly weapons so that they'll be at hand in that moment. One shows premeditation.

Because if we don't; then we will end up investigating and arresting people for legitimate self defense. (Which we do see happen in some places) I find that very unacceptable.
Every death by trauma should be investigated. Doesn't matter if we're talking about a self-defense shooting, hunting accident, falling off a ladder, motor vehicle collision, or a workplace fatal injury. Why on Earth would you consider this unacceptable?

Therefore, I consider people that are committing the crime of breaking and entering to be risking their own lives by their own choice. If they get shot and die it's their fault. Harsh but necessary.
As I touched on in my other post: your actions are your responsibility. If you decide to kill an intruder in your home, it was your choice alone. You weren't forced, so don't pretend like you were. If you think it was the best option available, then you should be able to explain why... and "he forced me to do it" isn't an explanation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You know, if I had to pick one group of people who I would hope had a sense of personal responsibility, it's people who are making plans to use deadly force against other people.

If you keep a gun in your home, what you choose to do with that gun is your choice. Don't pretend that you're powerless to do anything other than kill an intruder; if you think that killing someone in that situation is the right decision, say so. Proudly proclaim why you think it's the best outcome you had available and own your choice.

Don't pretend you have no choice in that situation; of course you do. If you are prepared to take a life in some circumstance, the least you should be able to do is to clearly articulate why you think taking that life was best.
I can see how someone might feel the need to have a gun. And sadly there are some evil people out there. If I had a gun I would not advertise the fact because that can backfire. It can make one's home a target for invasion. My point was if push came to shove and it was necessary to kill someone that should be seen as a very sad necessity and not something to boast about.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If someone makes significant efforts - and spends a fair bit of money - on lethal means of "protection" when non-lethal means are available (and often cheaper), I have to infer that the lethality is part of the point.

I'd say that "blood lust" is a fair - albeit flowery - way to describe someone's desire to maximize the chances that they'll take a life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm talking about people who keep guns specifically for "self-defense" (though keep in mind I said it was slight hyperbole).

Now... not all guns are kept for "self-defense." I can acknowledge the possibility that a gun kept for some other purpose - target shooting, say - might get used in a panic situation, but I also think that these events are very rare.
Or hunting. The man that shot and killed three used a shotgun. That is usually used for hunting birds.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't. I am responding to the language used in the title and this:

In other words, defending oneself is one thing, but hauling out examples of the tragedies involved and calling it a "Texas welcome" and suggesting there's nothing sad about these situations glorifies the gun violence.
I think the OP's attitude wasn't adequately explained in the OP.
In the article...
Channelview resident opens fire, killing 3 suspects inside his home
....the assailants were armed.
A gunfight broke out, the intruders were killed, & the defender
survived, albeit with a gunshot wound. Knowing that, I can
understand his jubilation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with that sort of entertainment. The problem is gun enthusiasts who view real weapons and real violence in the same light, such as those who fantasize about and even hope to kill someone in a heroic holywood fashion, the sort who upload themselves firing two AR15s at once from the hip because they think it's "******", etc.
A companion problem is the fervent anti-gun types who believe that all gun
owners have "blood lust" to kill another human being. They're an irrational
political force, leading to polarization & dysfunctional gun legislation.