• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Texas Welcome...come on in.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Home invasion is not the same thing as breaking and entering. When criminals crash into an occupied home you are looking at rape, or murder, or kidnapping AND theft.
I remember a story I read years ago on a Quaker forum: the person telling the story - a Quaker - was awoken by a noise downstairs in the middle of the night. He went downstairs and found a burglar in the middle of stealing a bunch of his stuff.

Instead of attacking him, he told the burglar he meant him no harm and invited him to sit down. The burglar agreed.

The homeowner put on a pot of coffee and over the next few hours, talked with the burglar to find out what had motivated him to do what he did.

Turns out the burglar was stealing to support his drug addiction, so the homeowner connected him with a rehab program. The burglar went, got clean, stayed clean, and kept in touch with the homeowner.

This seems to me to be a Christian approach to an intruder in one's home. Blowing a hole in him? Not so much.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
He also told his disciples to sell their packs and buy a sword...
The Bible is the Big Book of Multiple Choice, but it also says explicitly "do not resist an evil person."

And what could a believing Christian possibly fear from a home invader?

Death? Why would Heaven be something to avoid?

Suffering before death? Sure, it's unpleasant at the time, but you'll be rewarded in Heaven for having gone through it, so you'll be better off overall in the end.

To me, a Christian who would kill to avoid being hurt or killed by an attacker is advertising to the world that their faith isn't as certain as they portray it to the world.

74x12

Death for breaking and entering is nothing to be proud of. Its extremely disproportionate and is based entirely in a lust for blood.
Most people don't want to have to kill home invaders. That includes ... Texans. But, it's a great deterrent for future would be criminals to stop and think about.

Anyway, you never know which home invasions are just there to steal something and which ones are more dangerous. So shooting home invaders is legitimate. You're not executing someone. You're defending your home, possibly your life and possibly your family.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Last week in the Houston area some would be home invaders entered a home for no good purposes. Three of them were killed by the teenage son living there who had a shotgun.

Today I hear of a shooter in Foat Wuth area. He entered a church and killed one, but was then killed by parishioners who were packing.

Praise God for the 2nd amendment. When you come to Texas, you should know that if you want to go shooting in a church, or break into someones home...the last thing you may see is a bright light...and it aint heaven.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Cherry picking does not an argument make. How many people were wrongly or accidentally harmed by firearms in the same period?

Kangaroo Feathers

I have no problems shooting someone who breaks into my apartment, but I don't think killing anyone should ever be a point of pride or something to be celebrated.
I've killed people, and it was legally and supposedly morally sanctioned when I did so, yet I struggle daily with it, and have done so for almost 15 years now.

OP and other gun fetishists appear to think it's something to revel in, that the people given an excuse by circumstance to kill are somehow "lucky", that it fullfuls some nebulous rite of passage to become a "real man" or something. As someone with deaths on my conscience, let me assure you such toxic fantasising about ending life sickens me.

IMPE, very few people who have taken a life view it as something to celebrate, and generally speaking, regard people who talk about killing as an inconsequential and desirable thing to do (like the OP) with varying levels of contempt.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting how you mention God doesn’t come down and strike enemies dead any more. It amazes me how so many lost Christians are expecting just that with the so called second coming they are hoping for.
In the meantime, God gave them the 2nd Amendment to scratch that itch, apparently. Not nearly as much blood as Jesus the Gentle will bring when he unleashes God's killing spree from above, but the spray of bullets down here in God's Country works to get the praise and worship flowing in the churches as they sing of God's love for all, and for blessing us with guns.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Using deadly force in self defense when your life is in danger is understandable, but the macho postering and rambo fantasy aspects of gun culture is both infantile and disturbing.

Kangaroo Feathers

I remember a story I read years ago on a Quaker forum: the person telling the story - a Quaker - was awoken by a noise downstairs in the middle of the night. He went downstairs and found a burglar in the middle of stealing a bunch of his stuff.

Instead of attacking him, he told the burglar he meant him no harm and invited him to sit down. The burglar agreed.

The homeowner put on a pot of coffee and over the next few hours, talked with the burglar to find out what had motivated him to do what he did.

Turns out the burglar was stealing to support his drug addiction, so the homeowner connected him with a rehab program. The burglar went, got clean, stayed clean, and kept in touch with the homeowner.

This seems to me to be a Christian approach to an intruder in one's home. Blowing a hole in him? Not so much.
Something about "turn the other cheek" comes to mind. Apparently that part isn't in Texas Bibles. Along with the Holy Family being refugees, by the looks of things.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Most people don't want to have to kill home invaders. That includes ... Texans. But, it's a great deterrent for future would be criminals to stop and think about.
It'll certainly make criminals stop and think. Some might decide not to break into a home; some might decide to carry their own gun in response to the threat.

Anyway, you never know which home invasions are just there to steal something and which ones are more dangerous. So shooting home invaders is legitimate. You're not executing someone. You're defending your home, possibly your life and possibly your family.
Well, that depends. If the homeowner hasn't done what's reasonably needed to keep intruders out of their home, then killing intruders most likely isn't legitimate.

Killing an intruder, if legitimate at all, is only legitimate as a last resort. If it's a person's first resort, then it's not being used as a last resort.

Shad

Veteran Member
Using deadly force in self defense when your life is in danger is understandable, but the macho postering and rambo fantasy aspects of gun culture is both infantile and disturbing.

Sure. A big issue is American culture and Hollywood. Hollywood has few issues producing movies which require violence to further a story plot and justifying that use of violence. Violence sells as we are still a violent species.

Shad

Veteran Member
Oh dear. Yes, I guess some people's idea of God is kind of like a team mascot. Team Jesus, where you're always on the right side of the gun!

God and gods have been used as a "mascot" for millennia even if the conflict has nothing to do with religion. See; OT or WW1. In WW1 each side used God as a rallying cry and "believed" God was on their side. Protestant England and Germany. Catholic France, Austria and Italy. Orthodox Russia