• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Simple Start

Earthling

David Henson
A god is anything or anyone who is attributed a might that is greater than the one attributing it, so the statement that there are no god(s) is false. Correct?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Correct. Superman is a god, and no doubt Arnold Schwarzenegger and The Hulk.

god god god.png

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

A god is anything or anyone who is attributed a might that is greater than the one attributing it, so the statement that there are no god(s) is false. Correct?
Might in what, exactly? An adult gorilla is far stronger than any human could ever hope to be in the muscular department. Dolphins can out-swim us any day of the week... oh, and so can sharks, and catfish, and minnows, etc. The jaw strength of a crocodile is something no human could ever hope to possess. Are these creatures gods, in your estimation? You want to talk staying power? Look at trees. Some outlive humans by years numbering in the hundreds. And I'd like to see a human hold their place on the Earth in the middle of a hurricane as well as many trees can. Can plants be gods in your opinion?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

When I was studying philosophy of religion in college (and let's get real, it was really philosophy of classical monotheism, not of religion more broadly) one of the traditional perspectives we learned about was the general "God is that which is fundamentally greater." Even as someone who doesn't hail from a monotheistic perspective, I can generally concur with the statement. I tend to view "Gods are that which a person deems worthy of worship" to be more neutral about it, but a major reason why something is deified in a culture is because it is fundamentally greater or beyond.

That said, I see this entire conundrum as pointing a finger at the uselessness of some of the labels we use when discussing theology. Sure, I know of no human who denies there are powers greater than themselves in the universe (and if there was, they would likely be considered mentally ill), but to wield that against non-theism or atheism is something I find misguided. It's more beneficial to expand our dialogues about what theism is - beyond the supernaturalistic stereotypes imposed by theologies that dominate Western culture - and then what it means in practice. Or even get rid of the theological vocabulary altogether. It isn't needed, and it's a turn-off for some folks.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Might in what, exactly? An adult gorilla is far stronger than any human could ever hope to be in the muscular department. Dolphins can out-swim us any day of the week... oh, and so can sharks, and catfish, and minnows, etc. The jaw strength of a crocodile is something no human could ever hope to possess. Are these creatures gods, in your estimation? You want to talk staying power? Look at trees. Some outlive humans by years numbering in the hundreds. And I'd like to see a human hold their place on the Earth in the middle of a hurricane as well as many trees can. Can plants be gods in your opinion?

This way of thinking used to be standard amongst human cultures back when polytheism was the norm. Various aspects of the "natural" world were honored as gods (or the equivalent thereof). Asking questions like this are a major reason why I settled on polytheism myself. It's not something that happens often, given we live in a culture that insists that gods must look like God.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Disagree about the superhuman definition.. A god determines fate. In the western traditions going all the way back to pre-ptolemaic religion this makes gods moral judges.

Earthling

David Henson
To me, immortality is the factor. :)

Well, is that a personal requirement or a common use definition, or, well . . . you are just specifying. You would agree that a god doesn't have to be immortal, but you would question specifically immortal god's existence, is that correct?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Define worship.
That thing which defines some varieties of gods. Those which are useful for religions.

Edited to add: that came more flippant than I meant it to be, so let me explain.

Worship and god are both rather vague concepts, extremely so in the case of "god". But I assume that you mean to propose a meaningful concept of god in this thread, hence my question.

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson

Yes, any of those things can be and probably are gods. The attribution is what you seem to be overlooking. There are no rules regarding what can or can't be a god. It's, as they say, in the eye of the beholder.

syo

Well, is that a personal requirement or a common use definition, or, well . . . you are just specifying. You would agree that a god doesn't have to be immortal, but you would question specifically immortal god's existence, is that correct?
I mean all gods are immortal :) and that is why they are greater than us.

Earthling

David Henson
Obviously not.

The might of the president of the Russian Federation is a lot greater than mine, but I don't regard Putin as a God.

Then Putin isn't your god. But he could be. Your problem is that you are restricting the definition of the word god. Putin isn't Jehovah, or Shiva, or any other god. But he could be a god in the same manner, i.e., the common definition of the word God.

Jehovah is a God. God isn't a name, it's a title. Putin doesn't have to be Jehovah to be a God. He doesn't have to be supernatural, etc.